Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 02:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

Couple random points/questions

Why in the world is this thread merged with the other Florida alligator story? These are two very different stories.

I used to live in Orlando and this hotel is crazy expensive so they definitely don't want you even knowing there's a chance of danger. I looked it up and it starts at ~$600/night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The signs are there to protect said business/ park from being sued nothing more. It's not their fault because stupid people don't/can't take the time to read it. Odds are that the child is too young or to excited to read it. So it's up to the parents to do so. While I feel bad for anyone who losses a child/spouse in the end they should be read the rules.

I think in the end that's where the blame should lie.
Well Disney did not have any such overly specific signage because if they did, I'm pretty certain this particular father would not have put his child in harm's way. Willfully ignoring a clearly descriptive sign is one thing. Not explicitly stating that there are alligators in the water or that there's a risk of possibly fatal alligator attack is another. From a liability standpoint alone, Disney effed up, nevermind the human, emotional standpoint.

"Warning - alligators in the area" goes a long way and perhaps this child would have been alive.

The parents weren't stupid. Saying "F the alligators" and jumping into alligator infested waters (with signage) is stupid. And unless we've walked in these parents shoes and endured such a private hell, then it really should behoove us to be a bit more sensitive.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Why in the world is this thread merged with the other Florida alligator story? These are two very different stories.
I don't think it was merged - someone just posted a reply on the older thread about this latest incident at Disney World, and the conversation just took off from there. it probably would have been better if it had been posted as a new topic on it's own, but I guess the first person figured the subject was alligator-related.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

I used to live in Orlando and this hotel is crazy expensive so they definitely don't want you even knowing there's a chance of danger. I looked it up and it starts at ~$600/night.
I don't know about you but one thread suffices for all my GIANT AQUATIC REPTILE DEVOURS HUMAN posting needs.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Alligator drags 2 year old to his death

Good gawd!

I just can't imagine the anguish.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:23 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I don't think it was merged - someone just posted a reply on the older thread about this latest incident at Disney World, and the conversation just took off from there. it probably would have been better if it had been posted as a new topic on it's own, but I guess the first person figured the subject was alligator-related.
There was a separate thread last night and this morning I couldn't find it for awhile and realized it ended up here.

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No it was merged. There were two separate threads last night. Post #48 was the original post in the other thread.

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh, if an alligator grabs your child while it is in your arms, the attack is so powerful and fast that it could still be fatal. Think snatch and grab, right out of your hand. Crocodilians grab with all they've got and then quickly submerge into the water. All in a second. Ever watch Nile crocs pick off a hapless wildebeest that is in a group. Grab, spin around, submerge in water with victim OR go farther out to drown the victim. The easy thing when it comes to stories like this is to blame the parent (i.e. "If it were MY child, I would have done.......") In the case of the gorilla death, blame the parent is appropriate. In this case? No. The culpability largely falls on Disney with this one. The signage was totally ambiguous and should have clearly stated "No swimming! there may be dangerous animals (including alligators) in the lagoon". But like I said, using the specific word "alligator" would be terribly bad for business for a place that peddles almost a virtual reality. Heck, I go there specifically for that mythical experience. If it were just for rides and such, you'd just go to Six Flags or a local park. But you go to Disney for the Disney experience.
Why would you bother to respond to me without even fully reading what I posted. Contrary to what your ASSUMING about alligator attacks, the link I posted and many other studies have clearly illustrated Alligators are exponentially less successful attacking out of the water then in it. Btw a Crocodile is a whole different beast then an Alligator. The fact that your comparing the two tells me that you haven't really researched either one too well.

If this had been a crocodile attack that happened in crocodile infested water that had no signs indicating such I would have a totally different opinion. In that case, even if the parents were walking 10 feet from the water, armed with hand guns and holding the child's hand; that attack still would have been unavoidable. This attack is a completely different story and normal parenting behavior would have prevented it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I disagree that normal parenting might have prevented this horror. Helicopter parenting, on the other hand, may have but it also may have prevented the family from leaving home. In such a controlled environment as a Disney park one would not expect such a danger to exist, especially with no warning. After all, Disney built the lake and beach and furnished it to attract families.
So you consider not letting a 2 year old go into water alone that clearly is marked as "no swimming," in the middle of the night and without the parent being in the water with the child "helicopter parenting?" Seriously???

Old 06-15-2016, 02:27 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Over time it will. That their numbers had shrunk to the levels they had shrunk to prior to the 70s shows taht. They certainly shouldn't have gone as far as they did in the 70s making it illegal to practically stare at the things. When it's to the point that a body of water in DISNEY isn't safe, it should be obvious their numbers need to be reduced by whatever means necessary.
I agree with this. Unfortunately to many bleeding heart animal rights activists that fight anything in regards to disturbing wildlife.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:29 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No it was merged. There were two separate threads last night. Post #48 was the original post in the other thread.
You'd think if the mods decided to merge the two threads they'd change the original thread title from the very specific "Florida Alligator Spotted With Dead Body In Its Mouth" to something more general like "Recent Florida Alligator Incidents" to avoid confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events