Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 03:07 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Couple random points/questions

Why in the world is this thread merged with the other Florida alligator story? These are two very different stories.

I used to live in Orlando and this hotel is crazy expensive so they definitely don't want you even knowing there's a chance of danger. I looked it up and it starts at ~$600/night.
Agree. I was wondering where the thread was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:08 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They found the little boy's body intact in the water near the attack site. They have recovered him. They believe the COD was drowning.
I'm frankly surprised there was anything left to recover. It's nice to know the family will be able to bury him, at least.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But when you go camping or go to the beach you associate those things with bears, sharks, and other wildlife. When I go to Disney, wild animals are the furthest thing from my mind (besides those at Animal Kingdom). Its just not something people think about when they are at a theme park, even if it is in Florida. If my family hadn't been warned of an alligator during a previous Disney trip, I would never have thought there would be alligators there. I doubt the vast majority of those staying at Disney have ever been warned of alligators. I've stayed at 6 different Disney resorts, and only the one time at that one resort were we ever warned of the dangers of alligators. It just seems like something Disney should be doing considering how many people travel from around the world to visit Disney. If they were visiting the Everglades, I'm sure they would have been extra cautious, but at Disney?

Florida is filled the snakes & alligators Disney or not. Do we need caution signs to warn people about everything? Spiders? Possible child molesters? The sun might hurt your eyes?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:16 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Florida is filled the snakes & alligators Disney or not. Do we need caution signs to warn people about everything? Spiders? Possible child molesters? The sun might hurt your eyes?
You're being silly. The "No Swimming" sign should have had a pic of an alligator underneath. It's done for strong current or undertow so why not alligators?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm frankly surprised there was anything left to recover. It's nice to know the family will be able to bury him, at least.
I read another article just now where a wildlife expert claimed gators don't normally feed on humans (obviously) and may have mistaken the boy for a dog or raccoon because he was so small. Like sharks often do, perhaps the gator let him go when it realized the child was not its normal food supply, and then he simply drowned. This to me would explain the intact body. Had he been a meal, little to nothing would have been found.

When surfer Bethany Hamilton was attacked by a shark in Hawaii at age 13, it simply bit her arm off and then swam away. She remained on her board and calmly said, "I just got attacked by a shark." Once these predators realize they have the "wrong" food source, they may very well leave you alone, but the injuries could still be fatal or drowning can occur.

Note: If anyone saw my last paragraph before my quick edit, sorry: autocorrect changed "surfer" to "surgery" and "Hamilton" to "Hailstone" but I fixed it now.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:20 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Let me tell you even some people from florida don't know to keep away from gators . I was in a state park in Pinellas county and this guy had a bag of mcdonalds food in his hand and he was right on the edge of the water . I told my husband what an idiot and apparently his MIL was standing right beside me and she said "that is my SIL and youre right he is an idiot " so she yelled at him . Hey rodger get away from the water with that bag of food ". I asked the lady does he feed them , she says well if he does let that gator have him .So it does not do any good to have any signs posted you will still see people ignoring the signs and they know better .Alligators are everywhere in florida there is nothing you can do but keep your distance .
I could see a gator grabbing this guy and his bag of McDonalds food, but the gator spitting out the McDonalds food thinking, I can't eat that s**t!

Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I read another article just now where a wildlife expert claimed gators don't normally feed on humans (obviously) and may have mistaken the boy for a dog or raccoon because he was so small. Like sharks often do, perhaps the gator let him go when it realized the child was not its normal food supply, and then he simply drowned.
I'm surprised because alligators (unlike great white sharks) aren't picky eaters. In the wild they subsist on a very wide variety of prey species, including many mammals up to the size of deer. I can't see any reason why a toddler would be off the menu once the gator had already expended the energy needed to catch the kid. Perhaps the ruckus that immediately followed the attack was enough to put the gator off his feed?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And you're assuming that he was on his cell phone.

When you go camping in known bear infested areas yes they do have pretty explicit signage. it's called CYA Rule 101. Whether he would actually read the sign or not is not the issue. The issue is that the sign wasn't present period. "No swimming" isn't sufficient. Here in Texas, in places that alligators are known to frequent, signs everywhere tell people to stay on the trails and to avoid swimming in certain areas because of alligators. Australia has signs with crocodile heads that basically state swim at your own risk.

you always give the person the option to throw caution to the wind. While I am not that father, it is highly likely that if he knew there were alligators in the water, he probably would not have had his child playing in very shallow water.

I will admit that I assumed he was on his phone it's a safe bet that he was, I could say the same thing for mom. I still think that some one other then Disney is to blame for the child being in the water. Just for the fact that the water dirty & filled with who knows what, the child shouldn't of been in the water.

At the moment we live in South Georgia & this place is filled with snakes, gators, spiders, etc. There are poisonous spiders every where, do we need to tell people about them as well?

Again when do we stop blaming someone else for the action that we should of taken?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
You're being silly. The "No Swimming" sign should have had a pic of an alligator underneath. It's done for strong current or undertow so why not alligators?

I agree it's silly but with people being attacked, gored, etc it might not be a bad idea for some. Some people just don't understand how much danger they are when outside. And I truly don't believe that people READ those signs we assume they do but it seems to be that in all reality do not.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:57 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I used to live in Orlando and this hotel is crazy expensive so they definitely don't want you even knowing there's a chance of danger. I looked it up and it starts at ~$600/night.
Yup. That's why my first thoughts after "Oh, that's horrible" were "They paid an awful lot of money to be attacked by an alligator."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events