Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Then why were they saying only a week ago that these cases of Zika were all TRAVEL related?????? I would be willing to bet you that my Snowbird neighbors in their 60's and 80's will be back in Florida come November. SELFISH PEOPLE not worried about spreading Zika!

Give it up. Too many Americans are only concerned with THEMSELVES. While your message is to promote widespread fear, the majority of the public isn't buying your message. Better pass more legislation to get your way like your are doing for children. Adults are not buying it for themselves from Flu Shots to TDAP to Shingles to Zika. Welcome to the real world. You only hear it on CD, but trust me, there is a lot MORE.

Our Best Shot Pocket Film Released, Urges Seniors to Lead Families in Vaccination | PressReleasePoint

Sorry, I am not getting with your program for either myself or the younger generation. I am Pro Choice. You do what you think is right for you and yours, and do not DEMAND/Legislate that others do the same.
Can you not read?

Palm Beach County has first case of locally-acquired Zika virus | www.palmbeachpost.com

August 8, 2016:

"The first case of locally-acquired Zika virus has arrived in Palm Beach County."

"South Florida has 17 cases of locally-acquired Zika, including at least 14 in a one-square-mile area in Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood, a popular arts district just north of the city’s downtown. There have also been two confirmed cases in Broward County of non-travel-related Zika.

Scott said Monday that state officials still believe local transmission of Zika remains confined to the Wynwood area. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention took the unprecedented step last week of warning pregnant women not to travel to Wynwood. People who have visited Wynwood since June 15 have been advised by the CDC to put off getting pregnant for several weeks."

Yes, we are aware that you do not give a hoot about anyone except yourself. You have made that abundantly clear. Fortunately, not as many people share your attitude as you seem to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Makes you think what humans are doing to the planet to have all these new diseases and viruses popping up. What the heck are these mosquitos eating to make this virus? Soon it won't be viruses or diseases we will have mutant blobs forming coming out of the water attacking us just like the movie...

Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Makes you think what humans are doing to the planet to have all these new diseases and viruses popping up. What the heck are these mosquitos eating to make this virus? Soon it won't be viruses or diseases we will have mutant blobs forming coming out of the water attacking us just like the movie...
Well, the mosquitoes do not really "make" the virus, they are just taxi drivers for it, so to speak. The virus hops on the skeeter when she makes a drive thru stop for a meal on an infected person and hops off at every meal after that.

The topic of emerging diseases is complicated and fascinating, mutations of pathogens being part of it, enabling diseases to jump from one species to another, with population movements and environmental changes also playing a role.

Zika is not really new. What is new is the determination that it can cause severe birth defects.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Can you not read?

Palm Beach County has first case of locally-acquired Zika virus | www.palmbeachpost.com

August 8, 2016:

"The first case of locally-acquired Zika virus has arrived in Palm Beach County."

"South Florida has 17 cases of locally-acquired Zika, including at least 14 in a one-square-mile area in Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood, a popular arts district just north of the city’s downtown. There have also been two confirmed cases in Broward County of non-travel-related Zika.

Scott said Monday that state officials still believe local transmission of Zika remains confined to the Wynwood area. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention took the unprecedented step last week of warning pregnant women not to travel to Wynwood. People who have visited Wynwood since June 15 have been advised by the CDC to put off getting pregnant for several weeks."

Yes, we are aware that you do not give a hoot about anyone except yourself. You have made that abundantly clear. Fortunately, not as many people share your attitude as you seem to think.
Locally "acquired" still does not say that officials have tested and found any mosquitoes carrying Zika. I want to see the "SCIENCE" saying they have even tested these mosquitoes, not some fear mongering scare tactics. 77% (not concerned personally or for their family) DO share my view. You can choose not to believe but this you are in the minority. Want me to link the latest polls of Americans, including in Florida? You are living in some alternate world because of your "profession". I will give you this much. I do not care about you "medical professionals". You just care about promoting fear and making money for yourself and medical business.

Do it right here on the Florida Forum. See how many people are posting and are terrified of Zika. "I am afraid to move here". ZERO responses. I guess no responses means they don't care about other people who might move to Florida and catch Zika. lol

Old 08-09-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Locally "acquired" still does not say that officials have tested and found any mosquitoes carrying Zika. I want to see the "SCIENCE" saying they have even tested these mosquitoes, not some fear mongering scare tactics. 77% (not concerned personally or for their family) DO share my view. You can choose not to believe but this you are in the minority. Want me to link the latest polls of Americans, including in Florida? You are living in some alternate world because of your "profession". I will give you this much. I do not care about you "medical professionals". You just care about promoting fear and making money for yourself and medical business.

Do it right here on the Florida Forum. See how many people are posting and are terrified of Zika. "I am afraid to move here". ZERO responses. I guess no responses means they don't care about other people who might move to Florida and catch Zika.
Where do you think Zika comes from if the patient (or any sexual partners) has no history of travel to a country where Zika is known to be circulating? Do you really not understand that actually testing mosquitoes is not necessary to know they are out there if people are getting infected with no travel to Zika infested areas?

I have repeatedly told you I make no money from vaccines or any "medical business". Unlike you, I do care about other people.

Polls do not matter. Addressing Zika is a proper public health response because of the severity of birth defects it can cause.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,076 times
Hopefully, nature has finally come up with something to control human overpopulation. We can only hope.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM

604 posts, read 617,992 times
The Miami Herald has been coy about the exact center of the zika spread, maybe not to hurt some businesses, but this NY Times article reveals a lot of additional details:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/he...rida.html?_r=0

Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
The Miami Herald has been coy about the exact center of the zika spread, maybe not to hurt some businesses, but this NY Times article reveals a lot of additional details:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/he...rida.html?_r=0
Very good article, including about the 27 year old woman (childbearing age) in the area who refused to be tested for Zika. Certain posters on here would be up in arms over her.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:16 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Advice for people living in or traveling to Wynwood, a neighborhood in Miami, FL | Zika virus | CDC

Travel alert for the Wynwood neighborhood in Miami.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/zik...-miami-n631316

Old 08-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Very good article, including about the 27 year old woman (childbearing age) in the area who refused to be tested for Zika. Certain posters on here would be up in arms over her.
Not up in arms, just amazed at the idiocy of some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events