Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
And the people who sponsored this bill are still in office? As much as they want to Crack Down on distracted driving, if the job of the police becomes peering into each and every car for suspected violations of the law, then that is not worth it. It even sounds difficult to do without constant survellence of the people driving on NJ streets. Are they planning to watch you 24 hrs a day to make sure you don't eat in your own car?
This bill is still only a suggestion and though the possibility for it to be voted on has come up twice already, they still have not brought it to a vote. It seems it's still in the planning stages and they're trying to hone in on how exactly they will define distracted driving. I agree that it would be very hard to police, but then again so is cell phone use especially considering Bluetooth and now the ability for the phone to hook up to your car. You're still talking, you're still distracted, you still have to look away from the road to press buttons. It's not an easy thing because many many things can be defined as driving while distracted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
People don't drive cars much any more; they just ride in them. Used to be, both hands on the wheel and watch the road and the other driver. Now, people are outraged because the accident they cause may be blamed on them.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not an easy thing because many many things can be defined as driving while distracted.
And there are already plenty of laws on the books for 'distracted driving', 'reckless driving', 'failure to use care', etc.

There is no need for any new laws, all that has to be done is to use the laws that already exist. If they try to make a 'law' against every single possibility that could arise, lawbooks would become massive tomes that nobody could keep track of and everyone would be wondering 'what laws have I broken today?'...oh, wait...

Idiots pushing for more 'laws' are, for the most part, just trying to justify their salaries for their useless positions.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I think its ridiculous but at the same time, if you can get a ticket for just touching or holding a cell phone, how is holding a cup of coffee any different?

Its all just a money grab

Old 08-10-2016, 08:13 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I think its ridiculous but at the same time, if you can get a ticket for just touching or holding a cell phone, how is holding a cup of coffee any different?

Its all just a money grab
If I was a cop and had to pull you out of a wrecked car, the presence of spilled coffee and an EggMcMuffin wrapper would encourage me to write you a ticket.
Of course, first I would ask you if your had been drinking coffee. So your either going to lie or get a ticket. That's the way it's going to work.

Of course if you happened to seriously injure someone the ticket I wrote would be used by their lawyer and insurance company.

So having read that little script, how would you feel if you were the person who was run over by the coffee drinker?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaralinadya View Post
I think....
I believe it's quite reasonable given how hard mobile phone clients are focused on.
Distinctive studies have said diverse things, yet numerous studies I've perused have recorded eating-drinking-applying cosmetics and so forth as diversions each much the equivalent of wireless diversions. Why is it just great to treat mobile phone clients like they're essentially attackers however enactment for different sorts of diversions rouse such shock?

I say any sort of diversion merits the same treatment, whether that is tending to it with bans or allowing it to sit unbothered on the grounds that such laws are "babysitter state" reactions. On the off chance that you need the book tossed at wireless clients, you should acknowledge having the book tossed at you for drinking espresso and eating doughnuts while driving. In the event that you need your doughnut eating to be allowed to sit unbothered, then telephone clients should be allowed to sit unbothered in like way. A diversion is a diversion.
I agree with you that many things can be considered a distraction when done behind the wheel, and should be discouraged/eliminated when possible. But I think the cell phone distraction has become a larger issue because (1) it's more of a mental distraction as well as physical, and (2) because it has become so pervasive among the population in general. Count the number of people you see eating, putting on make-up, etc., then count the ones using a cell phone while driving. Which number will be higher?

Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Well, you could drink coffee or whatever, when you're stopped at a stop light. As long as you're not driving. No big deal. I put on lipstick sometimes. I don't do it while driving. I do it at a stop light. I can also take a sip of my beverage while driving without it being a distraction. I have no problem w/having to wait for a stop light, except when traveling where I'm on a highway w/o any stop lights. Having a kick of caffeine would actually increase my attentiveness after a while.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 PM

444 posts, read 324,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I personally handle an auto accident claim with four dead that were all buckled in. The accident happened just outside Lafayette, Indiana, c. 2000. There was a line of stopped cars and trucks waiting for their turn to go through a construction zone. Last in line was a small passenger car. A semi came up at full speed (driver inattention) and drove the little car into the back of the semi in front of them.

So, it can and does happen that people die while buckled in. FYI
Now I really don't know what to tell those people I cited in my post.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times
Why are people in N.J.?.......Why do people reside in N.J.?.....Is there a way to drive around N.J.?....

Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Thirst Aid Beer Helmet | drinkstuff ®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events