Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 PM

274 posts, read 252,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Some smaller cities and towns I am sure have buses that are nice to use.
Nicer to use, yes. But it's still 45 minutes between buses during rush hour, and one hour between buses off-peak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I think two comments in the articles from the IIHS spokesman are interesting. One, that they don't think this law will add to safety on the road, which I fully agree with. Two, that they think it would be better to start gradually like with seatbelt laws. I was in my late teens when the NC seatbelt law was passed and I clearly remember all the promises of how they would only ever charge you with a seatbelt violation if you were stopped for some other reason. Then of course years later we have Click it or Ticket and actual seatbelt checkpoints! Interesting to see that was a strategy from the beginning to get people to accept it.
This I don't understand..Why would anyone approaching the lights of a checkpoint not make sure they were properly buckled in???

Old 08-07-2016, 10:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If I'm driving, I have a coffee and a cigar.
That's just the way it is.

One more reason to stay away from New Jersey.
Says the dude who lives in the Deep South.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times
I say slap those people with that ban - people drive there almost as bad as in Pennsylvania. The only reason we would visit NJ was IKEA in Paramus.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:40 PM

312 posts, read 277,418 times
This legislation has been around all year -- nothing new in that article and the plan is not advancing.

This distracted driving web site is a good place to check on the status of bills and laws.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:37 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's always been so strange to me that the only people who are diehard Jersey fans are from New Jersey.

No one else gets it.
No, I'm from Pennsylvania.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:09 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Says the dude who lives in the Deep South.

I'd be interested in those NJ naysayers' location's crime stats...Northern Warren County doesn't seem to have any and it's lovely here to boot. And not one homeless person to be encountered anywhere. And I check under the bridges.

I've lived here for 8 years and I'm amazed at the lack of serious crime. In that regard [only] it's actually a relief to return to here from Hawaii.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:05 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
If I get pulled over and told I can't drink my coffee, someone is going to get hurt. And that is 100% serious.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post

I'd be interested in those NJ naysayers' location's crime stats...Northern Warren County doesn't seem to have any and it's lovely here to boot. And not one homeless person to be encountered anywhere. And I check under the bridges.

I've lived here for 8 years and I'm amazed at the lack of serious crime. In that regard [only] it's actually a relief to return to here from Hawaii.
Yeah outside the cities, you really don't have to worry about it. We're not gun-obsessed, either, and aren't paranoid enough to want to carry one around all the time.

I can understand people having issues with the politics, taxes, COL and stuff like that, but contrary to popular belief and little do most know, NJ actually is largely a beautiful state with lots to do in all seasons. And if anyone's been to the Statue of Liberty, btw, you've been to NJ and presumably you've loved it, because the statue is technically in NJ (not like NY would ever admit it or officially give us what's in our territory). So is Ellis Island, which is actually shared by both NY and NJ. At least NY will give us that acknowledgment.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yep. Moot point for me as well. NJ was never on my list of 'places I want to live' anyway.
It was my dream to go to Rutgers, but alas, it was just too expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events