Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

When I was in school to become an EMT, a seasoned paramedic told me " I've scraped a lot of bodies off the road, but I've never unbuckled a corpse"

As far as the coffee law goes- some of the crankiest posters we have on this board are from Jersey. I can't even IMAGINE what they'll be like without their morning Java.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Why bother with a 55 gallon drum when a single glass of methyl alcohol will blind you and probably kill you, as well?
Because it was slow drip, and he was a very hard drinker, so somewhat immune. (You do remember this was a parody book, right?)

Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The benneys talk like that they swarm the jersey shore every summer. I lived in cape may county as far south in nj as you can get and nobody talked like that. Or as a benney would say "nobady tawked like that"
benneys? what is that?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
When I was in school to become an EMT, a seasoned paramedic told me " I've scraped a lot of bodies off the road, but I've never unbuckled a corpse"
I personally handle an auto accident claim with four dead that were all buckled in. The accident happened just outside Lafayette, Indiana, c. 2000. There was a line of stopped cars and trucks waiting for their turn to go through a construction zone. Last in line was a small passenger car. A semi came up at full speed (driver inattention) and drove the little car into the back of the semi in front of them.

So, it can and does happen that people die while buckled in. FYI

Old 08-09-2016, 06:36 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
benneys? what is that?
A derogatory term referring to people who go to the beach in the summer from northern NJ. It's said that Benny means "Bayonne Elizabeth Newark New York" but it basically means anyone from north NJ or NY who aren't shore locals. The Jersey Shore local residents can be quite uppity and possessive of the beach. The south Jersey Shore term for Benny's though is shoobies, people from the Philly area who go to the beaches. So I'm surprised that poster used Benny because he claimed he's from south Jersey and the Philly area.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I personally handle an auto accident claim with four dead that were all buckled in. The accident happened just outside Lafayette, Indiana, c. 2000. There was a line of stopped cars and trucks waiting for their turn to go through a construction zone. Last in line was a small passenger car. A semi came up at full speed (driver inattention) and drove the little car into the back of the semi in front of them.

So, it can and does happen that people die while buckled in. FYI
I know it happens, it's just an odds thing. Wearing the belt reduces your odds of death in the event of an accident.

I hear you on the semis. I was almost run off the road by one several months ago. I can only assume he was having a road rage incident. My in-laws are truck drivers and had an unfortunate incident where a gal driving a small car was decapitated in the accident. ( Not their fault )

You have to be careful around vehicles that heavy.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I know it happens, it's just an odds thing. Wearing the belt reduces your odds of death in the event of an accident.
It's automatic for me to buckle up, and nobody rides with me if they're not secured. I had a claim where a guy was killed by his mother-in-law when they hit a tree and she was catapulted into the back of his head. (Horrible jokes came from all directions on that one.)
Quote:
I hear you on the semis. I was almost run off the road by one several months ago. I can only assume he was having a road rage incident. My in-laws are truck drivers and had an unfortunate incident where a gal driving a small car was decapitated in the accident. ( Not their fault )

You have to be careful around vehicles that heavy.
Yeah, I don't linger in the lane next to a big rig, and I try to give them room to change lanes if needed. I know the can see me even if I can't see them in their mirrors, but that doesn't mean I'm safe there, so I move along smartly.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That's why I added my 'confession'- if the conditions warrant, I'll strap in...but *that* is the crux of my complaint- it's *my* decision as to how much risk I'm willing to take and the gov has no business being in my business about it. Whether I choose to ride my MC, go skydiving or wing-suit flying, free-climb a 300' vertical rock face or ride into town without being all strapped up, it's *my* decision. Any of those other things could leave me severely injured or dead, and are probably more likely to than me driving down the road without a belt on- I drive carefully and tend not to get caught in bad situations of my own making, and I drive for the idiots too, meaning that I watch what the other people are doing and when somebody is doing something stupid I remove myself from the situation before it becomes dangerous to me.

But I don't plan on getting messed up on a snowy road for no reason- I strap in, hit the 4WD and slow right the heck down to ensure that I remain in control of my vehicle...the days of my pushing right to the edge of controlability are long gone. My main concern in those situations is the dumbass truck-drivers pushing well over the [reduced] speed limits and plowing into me from behind. We get a lot of those ashholes up here in Maine, who are still doing 70+ even though the limit has been reduced to 45 due to weather conditions. Last year we had a couple of them cause a 50-car pile-up when their rigs lost traction on a hill.
Don't you realize that when you are driving without seat belts, you stand a better chance of losing control of the vehicle in a minor accident, possibly turning it into a fatal accident for SOMEONE ELSE?

Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Don't you realize that when you are driving without seat belts, you stand a better chance of losing control of the vehicle in a minor accident, possibly turning it into a fatal accident for SOMEONE ELSE?
Modern cars are designed with features that reduce the transfer of impacts to the passengers. It take energy to bend a hood at right angles, and that energy absorption is part of the process.

If you don't wear your seat belt you can go asphalt surfing and be removed from the protective envelop of the vehicle. If you admire the guy who went skydiving without a parachute then not being belted is just the thing for you.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
When I was in high school, I got a little excited on the way home from a date and went off the road on a curve. I was bounced around pretty good and actually bumped my head on the roof of the car but was somehow able to regain control of the car as it went back to the road. I definitely feel like the seat belt was instrumental in remaining in the seat in front of the wheel.

And don't get me wrong, while I'm against seat belt laws, especially the way they've evolved, I'm 100% for seat belt use and always buckle up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events