Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I think that "nose picking" while driving should be a crime in all States.....
That's what the law in NJ against eating in the car is specifically for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Just more taxation at the END OF A GUN. If anyone thinks this won't be used and privately celebrated as a HUGE revenue generator then you've got another thing coming. Just look at the proposed fines.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:18 PM

838 posts, read 554,625 times
For a state that have drivers proficient in driving WAY over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic AND flipping people off all at the same time, I think they can handle tilting their head back to take a sip of coffee.

(I grew up in NJ and moved to VA in my late 20's because I failed at driving like a lunatic)

Maybe I should be banned from driving because I have allergies in the Spring and sneeze a lot. I have yet to master sneezing and keeping my eyes open at the same time. Although I may get bonus points if I keep my tissues readily available in an effort to avoid reaching for the tissue box sitting on the seat beside me.

NJ aside, all states have bigger fish to fry when it comes to driving laws. I am more at risk being sideswiped by a 90 year old who should have been required to take a new driving test at age 70 than I am by the person who just rolled out of a Starbucks drive-thru.

Be hands free and straw savvy you'z guyz!

Old 08-09-2016, 02:21 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Default Trapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
I just have two quick things for you, sir:

1. For some weird reason, I have met folks that feel a seatbelt will keep them trapped in in a crash. It seems laughable, but its true.

I feel seatbelts are common safety. HOWEVER:

2. I STILL associate with a community of mostly women... who weigh upwards of 400lbs, 500lbs.. And yes, more. Fitting in anything less than a full-size car is a real experiment, and sometimes bot possible, depending. A seatbelt extender, two.. sometimes two is not enough... Not only would a seatbelt be ineffective against this weight, airbags just may go into a belly, and become dangerous. No word on turning off airbags... I also have not found a real way to address this, aside from "Don't get in an accident." Also, need to make it LOOK like it is on, for police. And true, some are too big to drive.

I believe seatbelts save lives.gl
My husband felt that way. I finally found a seat belt cutter in a fabric case which wrapped around the belt. There's often an answer if you look for it.

It's not always laughable when you fully consider someone's background.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:33 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
This is un American. World knows an American as a guy wondering around with a coffee mug in his hand. It's like taking stripes and stars off Uncle Sam outfit. Or, shield away from Cap America.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:10 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Don't you realize that when you are driving without seat belts, you stand a better chance of losing control of the vehicle in a minor accident, possibly turning it into a fatal accident for SOMEONE ELSE?
Might be an issue for you, but not for me.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Might be an issue for you, but not for me.

Perfect response!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:36 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Next will be the disappear of cup holders from cars. How on earth will the car salesmen of America sell new cars to us women when that happens?

Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Interesting clarification on the bill.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jersey-ba...152154956.html

An assemblyman supporting this says coffee - eating and drinking in general - are not specifically cited in the bill, which is not a new idea and has never been brought to vote despite the idea of it being around for a few years. Says the media picked up on coffee for some strange reason, and last time a very similar bill he sponsored was in the media it was the "ham sandwich" bill. The technical wording in the bill, though, if you read the article, is extremely vague and I don't see this ever coming to be without it being honed and made quite specific. So everyone relax and stop s*itting on New Jersey. Move along now, pick a new state to bash.

I don't see anything wrong with attempting to crack down on distracted driving, however I do think it would be very difficult to enforce and very open to interpretation because many things can qualify as distracted driving. Eating and drinking are definitely two, though.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
And the people who sponsored this bill are still in office? As much as they want to Crack Down on distracted driving, if the job of the police becomes peering into each and every car for suspected violations of the law, then that is not worth it. It even sounds difficult to do without constant survellence of the people driving on NJ streets. Are they planning to watch you 24 hrs a day to make sure you don't eat in your own car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events