Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
If people want to explore other planets, let them do it with private money, not Government funds paid for by taxpayers.
While private industry can definitely do things cheaper than government agencies, when it comes to space exploration, I just don't how/why private industry can/would do it?

Sure, launching satellites can be profitable for companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin, and they can do it cheaper than the US Government or other world governments, but space exploration is a whole different animal. What is a company's rate of return on their investment?

Unless some TV company pays like $1 trillion for the broadcast rights of the first person to step on Mars or an asteroid, I don't see how private companies can make any money from space exploration when a company is going to have to spend probably hundreds of billions of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
I consider myself a Conservative, and if it were up to me, I'd abolish NASA completely. I think there are many better uses for the money spent on NASA taking care of people right here in the United States. If people want to explore other planets, let them do it with private money, not Government funds paid for by taxpayers.
Well then, I'm glad that it's not up to you, and that you don't speak for all taxpayers. Long live NASA!

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-28-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Good God, I hope not! I honestly have no desire for Earth to have any interaction for anything from any other planet in my lifetime.

Think about any movie that has involved any other sort of alien life form interacting with Earth. Other than E.T., have any of them had good endings for us? Whether it's one of the Star Trek movies, Independence Day, War of the Worlds, etc., it seems like any alien race only wants to destroy the Earth.

No thanks to finding life on other planets! We have enough trouble dealing with people in other countries right here on Earth!
I believe that there will always be explorers out there to push the limits of exploration. It's always been that way and always will be. We're running out of places to explore here on Earth, the natural progression is to look to the skies.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
I consider myself a Conservative, and if it were up to me, I'd abolish NASA completely. I think there are many better uses for the money spent on NASA taking care of people right here in the United States. If people want to explore other planets, let them do it with private money, not Government funds paid for by taxpayers.
Technologies developed by NASA are being used to help humans on earth. The list is long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies

NASA's inventions benefit our lives on Earth - Technology & science - Space - Space.com | NBC News

Few things intrigue the mind and excite the imagination than the mysteries of skies. NASA helps provide some of the answers and even more importantly inspires generations of kids to become engineers and scientists. The quest for knowledge is priceless. The moment we stop learning is moment we are doomed as a species.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-28-2017 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I would agree with you, except that Anonymous is generally not known for performing hoaxes. They are kind of about exposing truths out there. It's more plausible to me that NASA is lying/hiding the secret and Anonymous is looking to tell the truth. To me that's more believable.
Last I checked Anonymous was basically a leaderless open source project with no defined membership. So basically anyone could claim to be "Anonymous" and say whatever they want.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:09 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
If you really were a true Conservative, you would eliminate NASA, lower taxes and shrink government, rather than spend it elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default Do you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The government has known about alien life for decades. It's nothing new.
believe in the story that the Eisenhower Administration met with the aliens and signed a treaty?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:01 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
believe in the story that the Eisenhower Administration met with the aliens and signed a treaty?
No but I do believe that there are some really hard to explain technological advances in our history that defy rational thought, such as Pumapunku

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku

Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I think that the race of Mole People living in the center of the earth haven't gotten enough credit for some of these cultural events and accomplishments being dubiously attributed here to "space men" flying here from the far off reaches of the universe

Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Doesn't NASA keep track of all the Space Junk? Seems like an important task as reliant as we are on Satellites now days. Keep'em funded, leave the line open, incase someone is trying to call us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events