Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 05:49 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times

Advertisements

The young adults Silently went along with this donation debacle. Paying a third person to up their SAT scores??? So pardon if my empathy isn't towards a silent partner looking the other way and benefiting.
Years ago colleges were caught (and continue to this day) with racial profiling. To get federal grants. They will deliberately screen to find the right mixture of ethnic heritage to meet the federal guidelines. Never mind that most applicants who are more qualified get pushed to the side because they found they need five more people from India to get that 500k grant.

I'm a parent..and doubt no matter how my bank account runs...get involved in college bribery. Integrity runs deep.
I lost respect for these adults. They can exercise their acting skills in court. A million dollar bond is 100k really. And they get it back so long as they show up for the hearings....

I'm rooting for the class action case being formed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Why such schadenfreude? No one was killed, no one had their life ruined.

Because people who are busting their butts with minimal resources to get ahead, including either getting themselves into university, or getting their children in, are getting sick and tired of having the lifestyles of the elite shoved down our throats constantly on TV and the net; seeing people who have made it to the "top" by means ranging from the distasteful to the downright immoral being able to set it so none of their descendants will ever have to work for a living while gold old John and Jane Q. continue to take it in the behind.

That's why.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
1) In this scandal, there is no evidence of the above; and,
2) A school should be free to admit whomever they want on whatever basis they want.
Not when they enjoy tax-exempt status. Once you start asking taxpayers to support those schools, they then have to answer to taxpayers and Congress.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The young adults Silently went along with this donation debacle. Paying a third person to up their SAT scores??? So pardon if my empathy isn't towards a silent partner looking the other way and benefiting.
Years ago colleges were caught (and continue to this day) with racial profiling. To get federal grants. They will deliberately screen to find the right mixture of ethnic heritage to meet the federal guidelines. Never mind that most applicants who are more qualified get pushed to the side because they found they need five more people from India to get that 500k grant.

I'm a parent..and doubt no matter how my bank account runs...get involved in college bribery. Integrity runs deep.
I lost respect for these adults. They can exercise their acting skills in court. A million dollar bond is 100k really. And they get it back so long as they show up for the hearings....

I'm rooting for the class action case being formed.
I just want to clarify two things. A not all of the kids new. Some of the parents went to great links to keep the kids for finding out. One parent had someone else take the test for her son, however they had him take a dummy test so he did not find out.

Secondly and probably more importantly, none of this money was donated money to the schools. It was all bribes given to individual people. Really not accurate at all to say donation debacle.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Jealousy never looks good on anyone.

Why are you glad that her life is ruined? She's a 19-year-old kid who is being punished for her parents' crimes. She didn't want to go to college, she didn't ask for them to bribe her way into USC.
I thought she was one of the kids that posed for the bogus athletic pictures? I don’t know how you get into a college as part of the crew team and don’t get asked about it in an interview. She had to know.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Hallmark channel just ended their partnership with Lori Loughlin.

Her daughter (Olivia Jade) also lost her sponsorship with Sephora and her and her sister dropped out of USC.

I have no sympathy for either of the parties.
Olivia Jade should have just done the social media influencer gig. She has (had) pretty good #s. 1 million plus on Instagram and Youtube. Had sponsorship deals with Sephora and Amazon and probably could have added more as she increased in popularity and reach. No point in going to college when you are making good money already.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you are a millionaire and all your friends are millionaires, none are going to be impressed that your kid is going to U of T. I don’t think status had much of anything to do with it, they already have high status.
Actually...in Texas, they would be. UT-Austin is a hard school to get into. A lot of children of wealthy parents don't go to UT-Austin simply because they can't get in. It's not unheard of for kids turned away from UT-Austin to end up at an Ivy.

Quote:
It's not quite THAT tough...

Stanford acceptance rate: 4.3%
Harvard acceptance rate (not in the scandal - yet) 4.6%
Yale acceptance rate: 6.3%
USC Acceptance rate: 12.8%
Georgetown acceptance rate: 14.5%
Wake Forest acceptance rate: 28%
University of Texas at Austin acceptance rate: 40% (but includes automatic acceptances)
University of San Diego acceptance rate: anyone with a pulse or who can fog a mirror
https://texadmissions.com/blog/2019/2/25/recommended-ut-austin-majors-rank-and-test-score-minimums

According to this blog, the non-auto admit acceptance rate for in-state students was 14%. The acceptance rate for out-of-state and international students was less than 10%. In order to gain auto admission to UT-Austin, you have to be in the top 6-7% of your high school class. Given how competitive schools have become in affluent suburbs in Texas, that is not all that easy to do nowadays. UT-Austin itself is an extremely competitive environment where you have to work for every grade, and you can receive a letter grade lower than the letter grade you earned thanks to curves & letter grade quotas. At least that's how it was in the 90s.

Full disclosure: I am a UT-Austin graduate auto admitted under their pre-1997 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Jealousy never looks good on anyone.

Why are you glad that her life is ruined? She's a 19-year-old kid who is being punished for her parents' crimes. She didn't want to go to college, she didn't ask for them to bribe her way into USC.
She went along with it, though. I don't believe for an instant that she didn't know. She had to know that as a mediocre student, she had virtually no chance of gaining admission to USC on her own merits.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,100 times
You know, it's not like this kind of stuff is new to the college system, is it? Parents have been "donating" or "granting" money to colleges for years and years in order to put their own kids higher on the admission scale. Okay, little Johnny, you wanna attend Harvard? Lemme just write a nice, fat check here.....BOOM! Harvard gladly accepts your 3.0 GPA student with no extracurricular activities other than being proficient in sitting on his lazy ass playing video games.

I'm not surprised in the least that these people did any of this and I am certain that it has happened before and will happen again. Once people have an entitlement mentality, they will almost never shed themselves of it- and these elitists are no exception.

**Says a college grad of the CSU system who got in all by herself, LOL**

Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
You know, it's not like this kind of stuff is new to the college system, is it? Parents have been "donating" or "granting" money to colleges for years and years in order to put their own kids higher on the admission scale. Okay, little Johnny, you wanna attend Harvard? Lemme just write a nice, fat check here.....BOOM! Harvard gladly accepts your 3.0 GPA student with no extracurricular activities other than being proficient in sitting on his lazy ass playing video games.

I'm not surprised in the least that these people did any of this and I am certain that it has happened before and will happen again. Once people have an entitlement mentality, they will almost never shed themselves of it- and these elitists are no exception.

**Says a college grad of the CSU system who got in all by herself, LOL**
In many ways, I'm grateful I avoided all this crap.

When I graduated from high school forty years ago, I only thought of going to one school, the U of U. At that time, any high school graduate could be accepted. They might flunk out of if they couldn't get better than a C average in a demanding school. However, everyone with a high school diploma got admitted and was allowed to try. Most amazingly, back than tuition was about $300 a semester!

I hear all this crap today about extremely selective admissions and sky high tuition and I grieve for the young people of today.

Kids weren't so status conscience back than. I was grateful to be admitted as an undergraduate and made the most out of my experience. I never thought of going anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:28 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
IRS tax returns are a separate issue. The *really* smart parents would not deduct the bogus charitable contribution because that's felony tax evasion. If the parents are convicted, the IRS will indeed pursue the matter.

Felony tax evasion will be separate legal proceedings, and I believe it would end up in Tax Court - a different judicial body. It will be quite painful.

We won't know for a while, but I suspect the bright parents did not deduct the bogus charitable contribution for this reason. I suspect the Hollywood parents just turned all their info over to a tax preparer, who, not knowing about the bogus deduction, put it on the tax return.

And, of course, those parents who are attorneys will be ejected from the bar.

The pain has only just begun.
Tax Court is for cases where the amount or type of tax is disputed. Tax evasion cases go to the same criminal courts as any other Federal felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I agree these pampered snowflakes and spoiled millionaires (and those who helped them) should be charged & penalized to the max but.....did the FBI, cops, etc. REALLY have to show up at their doors in the early a.m. with guns drawn like it was a raid on a terrorist safe house???*

Stupid and grandstanding....just a stunt to show off apparently how "serious" they were taking it. The Roger Stone arrest a while back was the most comically extreme case of overdoing it.....helicopters and SWAT teams showing up a dawn to arrest an old man who had probably just taken his metamucil & prostate meds. A huge waste of taxpayers dollars to show off their "might" and play Army.

There's a place such tactics/show of force is needed....but not when it's spoiled millionaire Hollywood actresses & affluent old men living otherwise peacefully in their mansions & manicured lawns.

A massively ridiculous overreach and waste of our money to get publicity and justify their existence.
Perp walks are used as a means to show that even the rich and famous can't get away with everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events