Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,730 times

Advertisements

ROUND I of Responses
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's time to revoke the tax-exempt status of private schools. Admissions have become so highly competitive, and so controversial, and so many spots are being assigned to students coming from outside the US, that a first step in righting this is to stop taxpayer subsidy of private education, remove the tax-exempt status of private schools, and suspend public grants to these institutions.
Completely ridiculous idea. These schools are tax exempt because they are non-profit. If you want the U.S. government to stop subsidizing things with actual money, get the feds out of the student loan and grant business. That is the real waste of taxpayer dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would hope they strip them of their degrees, thats the right thing to do, after all, they didnt earn them
Another completely ridiculous idea. You have no idea what happened after the person was admitted. Even if the admission was fraudulent, if the student went to class and did the work, then they did indeed earn the degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And Lori Loughlin. I find that one particularly hypocritical, as she presents herself as Ms. Good Christian, she even goes on the 700 Club.
I don't know any Christians who claim moral purity. In fact most Christians I know are only too well aware of their shortcomings and depravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
This is really a major scandal for the US. Dozens of lives will be ruined. Maybe hundreds.
This is a complete waste of time and federal resources. Are there no terror cells in the U.S. for the FBI to pursue? No bank robbers? Kidnappers? The dozens of FBI agents on this "case" for a couple of years is absurd in an age of terrorism and human trafficking.

Quote:
This is crazy! I'm a big William H. fan. How did the feds find out, to start looking into it, do we know?
A person offered a bribe dropped a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
The kids who allowed their faces to be super-imposed on other kids' athletic pictures are certainly complicit and must be expelled.
There is no indication the kids knew about pictures or the athletic admissions angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Or athletic spots/scholarship opportunities for sports they never even played??? There isn't "another side" to this story.....not one that will exonerate those involved, not based on what has been thus far reported....
There is always two sides to every story. With 50 defendants there are 50 different stories and 50 different levels of culpability.

But none of the students were taking athletic scholarship opportunities or team spots. They were taking advantage of admissions discretions given to college coaches. That has nothing to do with actual participation in the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, its sad and unfortunate, but I dont see how they can justify NOT taking it away...they didnt earn it. Those kids KNEW, its baloney the FBI says they didnt, they would have had to know the lie, in order to keep it up while at school, if a kid is there because of sports, they will have to make it look like they are involved in sports, it would be impossible to fake that, other students would catch on, plus, the kids would know if they had taken the mandatory testing or not, or if someone else did it for them. It would also set a bad precedent...'you lied and faked your way thru, but we are going to allow you to continue to benefit from it'.
Again, admissions has nothing to do with graduation. The rest of the post is complete nonsense because you don't know any of the facts of the case as to what the students did or did not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I can understand fraudulent transcripts and SAT scores, but don't understand how they can fake athletic ability. What coach would want to carry a slug for 4 years, who can't play?
You are correct, you don't understand. A coach helping a student get admitted has nothing to do with that student actually being on the team. Universities give coaches slots to ask for a student to be admitted when they otherwise might not be qualified. That doesn't mean the student given that slot will be on the team and it certainly has nothing to do with athletic scholarships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
None of the celebrities or business tycoons will go to jail. Maybe the ringleader managing it all but not the paying customers. The rich and powerful almost never get jail time no matter the crime. They hire the best legal teams and have enough social connections to get probation and community service is all.
I think federal prison should be for the most dangerous of criminals. Somehow Huffman and the rest of the parents don't rise to that level for me; neither do the coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Would you want this person doing surgery on you. I know I wouldn`t.
But you are okay with an inadequate student who was admitted to undergraduate school and med school by Affirmative Action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Alright, but it goes further than that. Every member of the team is going to know the kid can't compete at the college level. Questions are going to be asked. It's feasible with the obscure Title IX sports I guess. But it requires a lot of folks looking the other way, and keeping their mouths shut. I suppose you're going to tell me entire teams and their families and friends were on the take as well.
Still don't understand that admissions under an athletic waiver has nothing to do with joining the team. No college requires that athletic waiver students actually be on the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 09:44 AM

850 posts, read 796,196 times
Quote:
Just watching that video makes me mad. However she just was getting into USC. I don’t know that there are “soft” programs at Yale are there?

The funny thing, when I watch the news about it it’s Felicity Huffman only paid 15,000 for her kid well Lori Loughlin had to pay $500,000 for her two daughters. You come away thinking wow her kids must be really dumb!
500k for USC? i would have just kept the money.

USC while not a bad private school is just a place where rich and famous in LA go to school to party.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:47 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
You should tell her "oh yes, we did!"
I thought about replying, "what makes you think we didn't? "

Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
500k for USC? i would have just kept the money.

USC while not a bad private school is just a place where rich and famous in LA go to school to party.

Well, per her YouTube, that's all she wanted to do. I think Mom just wanted her nearby, or wanted to give her what she wanted. I really don't think it had squat to do with any sort of career.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
It appears most of the kids involved were screw-ups.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
I think most adults understand that life isn't fair. This hits home for me because many years ago, I was within a whisker of being admitted to a very good law school. I didn't get in although I did get on their waiting list. I have often wondered if someone who "pulled strings" got the seat in the class that I was hoping for. There is no way to know. What is true is that for me it was a pretty upsetting event. I went on an attended a somewhat less prestigious school, graduated, opened my own law office, and ultimately did quite a bit better than I probably expected to do.

Statistics will tell you though that having a degree from about 15-20 schools in this country alone will result in a much higher average income over your lifetime than a degree from a less prestigious school will.

And, oh how are society runs on money and material things. We are constantly comparing ourselves to others. We are constantly trying to have the nicest house or the smartest looking car. Wanting our kids to go to the nicest schools is just another part of it. How many people have literally watched parents fight to get their kids into a pre-school for heaven's sakes? I've seen it. In the process of seeking these things, many of us have sacrificed some of our ethics and integrity.

Parents will always try to help their children as much as they can. Its in their DNA. We know that many parents will literally give up their lives for their children. Should we be surprised that some parents will cheat and break laws to assist them as well?

Yet, as a society we cannot tolerate this behavior. It strikes at our foundations. College is supposed to be a meritocracy. Students are supposed to be there because of their achievements and abilities. The work world is also supposed to be a meritocracy. People are supposed to be hired for positions based on their education, skills, and job experience. We know that much inequality and injustice in this world is the result of making these kinds of decisions on some basis other than merit.

Sadly, this confirms something I already knew. In America, we pretend that merit is what matters. Its just that its not always true.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Alan Dershowitz said last night that no one gets a failing grade at the elite schools any more. It's all As and Bs.

It might not be official policy, but it's understood that it happens.
Same with a lot of other schools to, Pomona College also told us the same thing.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It appears most of the kids involved were screw-ups.

I haven't heard a thing about any of them outside of Lori Loughlin's daughter. Where did you read that or get that from?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well, that most certainly is true. I agree. It’s interesting to me that none of the coaches implicated so far are swimming coaches, and I think that has something to do with swimming being more of an individual sport than a team sport. You can’t hide on a swim team. You either have the times or you don’t. There’s no faking it.
My relative who has a kid got into Harvard through swimming.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
None of these kids actually participated on the teams. As soon as they got to school they quit the team, and the coaches knew this ahead of time. You can't fake being a soccer player, fencer or water polo player, either. In the cases where the kid himself didn't know, I guess the coach just took them off the roster after school started.
That’s right, if they play sports they get scholarships, if they don’t, in this case they don’t, they don’t get money. Only poor kids have to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events