Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
500k for USC? i would have just kept the money.

USC while not a bad private school is just a place where rich and famous in LA go to school to party.
Interesting, nobody bribed to get their kids into UC Berkeley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:28 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That’s right, if they play sports they get scholarships, if they don’t, in this case they don’t, they don’t get money. Only poor kids have to worry.
None of these kids got athletic scholarships. They used the sport just to get their kid accepted into the school. Yes I agree that it’s very slanted towards the wealthy. I make that argument on these boards quite frequently, on threads where people insist that everyone has equal opportunities to succeed in this country.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think that’s what they meant by status, the poster that said that. To the average person looking in it’s not going to appear to be a status school, and that poster said the choice of schools was all about appearances and impressing others. I doubt any of these kids are going to have any problem starting any kind of business with the kind of money and connections they have behind them. I don’t even know if any of them ever plan to get it he had a job. Lori Loughlin’s daughter certainly doesn’t appear to. She was just going to go to college for the party experience, then ask mom to get her a part in some show most likely.
You focused on a detail - which particular school was sought - at the expense of the broader abstraction of status-seeking behavior in this case, namely providing an UNDESERVED step UP in order to add to one's status-enhancing credentials.
It does not END there.

Besides, status-seeking behavior does not depend solely upon the approval of the 'average person looking in'; they are not the gatekeepers of the club.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:35 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
You focused on a detail - which particular school was sought - at the expense of the broader abstraction of status-seeking, namely providing an UNDESERVED step UP in order to add to one's status-enhancing credentials.
It does not END there.
I know they were undeserved and given a step up. I just don’t think she tried to get her into USC for any kind of status however. I think the kid just wanted to go there cause she wanted to party as she states on her video, and that’s where her friends were going. I don’t think status had a thing to do with it. I think it was a rich entitled person giving her spoiled entitled child what she wanted.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
ROUND TWO of responses
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, supposedly you need superior ability to earn a degree at these competitive institutions. The fact that those who were admitted via bribery were able to get through despite their truly mediocre SATs and mediocre high school grades does say something about these highly selective schools. Apparently, the selective part is admission - once you're in, it's possible to coast through.
Not quite "coast" through, but the admissions part is/was supposed to the very selective part and then once in, most schools were loathe to lose the students they had admitted. Very few kids who show up everyday and do the work are flunked out of college. It is those who skip classes, tests, projects, etc that get flunked out. A "D" is still passing and when you graduate 1,941st out of a class of 1,941 at Princeton, you are still a Princeton grad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Know 2 Stanford profs who said they were "discouraged" from giving out less than a B. One was a chem prof. The other taught foreign language. So not even same dept.
Precisely, professors are discouraged from giving out low grades, especially failing ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Easiest thing in the world. The student shows up for the first game/match/event and then is cut from the team. An injury can be faked, if needed. The student is still a student at the university, he just isn't on the team. It's not like he needs to worry about losing his athletic scholarship...….if Mom and Pop can spend that kind of money on getting him admitted, they can certainly afford to pay his tuition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why are you assuming they are actually on a team? All the article said was they got a coach to call them "recruited athletes" to get past the school admissions. Doesn't mean they actually every met the coach or the team. Once they were admitted, just cut them from the roster and they continue on as regular students. Probably never even rostered.
People are REALLY not understanding this. Being designated as "a recruit" of a team for purposes of being admitted to a college has NOTHING to do with actually being on the team ever. The universities that give coaches a number of "recruit waivers" are assuming the coach will be doing so in good faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
A felony is a felony.
No. There is a big difference between violent felonies, felonies that defraud people of their life savings and felonies that are charged over differences in memories.

Not all felonies are created equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
My parents paid a tutor who specialized in improving high-school students' chances of getting good college admission test scores to help me with my math. I still had to do the work and take the actual admission exams. (my tutor's help did improve my score between PSAT and SAT). I very much doubt that even if my parents had had the money to allocate to give a building to a school to encourage my admission, that they would have done so. It's really despicable, and emotionally crippling to the kids, to ease their way into a college by bribery/cheating.
I am sure there are people who think it is really despicable and emotionally crippling to you that your parents were able to hire you a tutor and help ease your way into a college by that advantage. It all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
For every kid that was fraudulently accepted to college, there was an honest, smart, hard working kid that was rejected acceptance. Shame on the parents. What a good example of a truly bad example of people that never should have been parents.
Three ridiculous, non-related assertions and a fundamental lack of knowledge on college admissions.

College admissions isn't a zero sum game. If Stanford decides they want an incoming class of 1,491 (never just a consistent, whole number) students they will offer admissions to a number something like 2,163 or 2,144 (also never just a consistent, whole number), knowing that not every student admitted will matriculate.

Point being, it is completely unknowable how that impacts a qualified student applying. For that class of 1,491 and 2,144 admissions, there is something like 44, 621 qualified students applying. LOTS of qualified students don't get in.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it's less that people are/were cheating to get what they want or just how elaborate this particular scheme was (and the players involved).
Read part of an article in the paper. Part of it was just bought admissions which isn't anything new. Normally you just write a check to the endowment fund though. In this case the coach of the sailing club was juts taking payments (allegedly for the club and not pocketed) in exchange for pretending someone was a sailor. At the end of the day, that's not all that different than the normal way of buying admission by writing a check to the endowment fund. A sport nobody cares about gets some money, a rich kid buys admission. Not that big a deal. Yes, someone more qualified may get bumped but that happens every day anyway. College admissions have never been entirely merit based and at schools with big endowments buying admissions has always been common practice. Really the only one getting hurt there is the endowment fund, which I can't feel to sorry about.

Then there was stuff like flying in proctors to correct SAT tests before they go in to get graded. In that case I just found it funny as the example the score wasn't even that high.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
None of these kids got athletic scholarships. They used the sport just to get their kid accepted into the school. Yes I agree that it’s very slanted towards the wealthy. I make that argument on these boards quite frequently, on threads where people insist that everyone has equal opportunities to succeed in this country.
I know people who do coming from the same background as my family, so I don’t think college is the only way to succeed in life. But that besides the point. They are on track to make $200 million. Unbelievable, they took great risk.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I know they were undeserved and given a step up. I just don’t think she tried to get her into USC for any kind of status however. I think the kid just wanted to go there cause she wanted to party as she states on her video, and that’s where her friends were going. I don’t think status had a thing to do with it. I think it was a rich entitled person giving her spoiled entitled child what she wanted.
I agree it’s not status seekers. I saw USD in the list. That’s not considered very high ranked in the first place.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-13-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Alan Dershowitz said last night that no one gets a failing grade at the elite schools any more. It's all As and Bs.

It might not be official policy, but it's understood that it happens.
Perhaps Columbia University is different from the other elite schools.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
None of these kids actually participated on the teams. As soon as they got to school they quit the team, and the coaches knew this ahead of time. You can't fake being a soccer player, fencer or water polo player, either. In the cases where the kid himself didn't know, I guess the coach just took them off the roster after school started.
They also faked injuries, so they didn`t have to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events