Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:05 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Never a good look when the entire crew survives and their paying customers are all dead. I'm sure authorities will take a close look at this operator.
FWIW, I know several people who've dived from that boat. (One of my good friends and shipmates was on anchor watch in San Pedro, heard the radio communications from the first mayday. <shudder>) Anyway, the operator is considered a solid, reliable company.

It could be something as banal as crew being abovedecks working and passengers below sleeping. Boat fires are horrifying, rapid events and if the fire kept the crew from getting fire hoses started (not an entirely trivial exercise), they would be left with hand-held extinguishers.

We'll have to see, the USCG are really very good at finding this sort of thing out.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 09-02-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 04:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Never a good look when the entire crew survives and their paying customers are all dead. I'm sure authorities will take a close look at this operator.
Well, 3 am...crew on top, sounds good, then, crew below... lost, also?
Oh brother...I say that a lot lately,

Old 09-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
And 5 crew, who were presumably above deck, escaped in a dingy...
Jumped for it, and were picked up by another boat.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I've never been on a boat that size, but 30+ seems like a LOT to be packed in there sleeping.

I couldn't find the diagram in the article?

ETA I just saw a photo of the bunk area. This story is such a tragedy.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 09-02-2019 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
The news said the boat has always passed safety inspections, etc.

The guests were below deck sleeping. It sounds like it would have been impossible to save them.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I've never been on a boat that size, but 30+ seems like a LOT to be packed in there sleeping.
Not that exceptional, really. I sail with 30 students and 8 crew on a 90-ft hull, and we're considered fairly spacious, by nautical standards - standing-height overall, for instance.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Little if any O2 on a dive boat. Mostly none though you might find some on a big boat in the medicine cabinet. Divers use compressed air mostly, certainly on this class of dive, and the only use for O2 would be helping someone who came back on board with a breathing problem.

The interesting thing is that we still do not know the fate of the 34. One would have expected divers in the water immediately on the fire going out which would have been around dawn when the boat sank. Any hope for those trapped would be gone in a couple of hours. But there is no real problem getting divers down once the boat sunk. The hope is that some of the trapped have found an air pocket. But that will not last long. At best the divers should have been able to tell if they were all done for in the cabin by a little after sunrise. Seems unbelievable we do not know their fate 12 hours later.

Note these divers would virtually all have had wet suits and snorkel/scuba gear. Even if they could not access the gear virtually all would have been able to easily swim ashore. And there would have been a number of people in such a crew capable of towing a couple of people ashore.

Sounds to me like they burned to death or drowned unable to escape the berthing area. That absolutely should not have happened.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
An explosion of some sort? The O2 tanks maybe? And 5 crew, who were presumably above deck, escaped in a dingy and just left the passengers belowdeck to die with no attempt to suppress the fire?

NO! They tried and tried to extinguish it but it just kept reigniting. O2 probably.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Little if any O2 on a dive boat. Mostly none though you might find some on a big boat in the medicine cabinet. Divers use compressed air mostly, certainly on this class of dive, and the only use for O2 would be helping someone who came back on board with a breathing problem.
Yes, of course, you're correct. I misspoke when I said O2. I meant dive tanks with the compressed air. Thanks for pointing that out.

And as far as the crew being above deck, perhaps that in and of itself is not all that unusual either, especially if any of them were required to be on watch.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
NO! They tried and tried to extinguish it but it just kept reigniting. O2 probably.
Nope. Smells of a fuel fire. Burning diesel leaking from a tank or ruptured line. And the problem is the boat burns.

The boat crew was up getting ready to prepare breakfast. Classically dive boats start early while the seas are calm and feed the guests as soon as the sun is up. Takes a little prep and work to feed 39 people. And they will generally be very hungry. Dive boats do that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events