Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:59 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I am sure that may happen in some situations, perhaps more so in some parts of the world than others, but surely you also understand that the majority of people have grown up with mostly positive associations with dogs whether it is by growing up in households with them or relatives, friends and neighbors owning them. I told the story earlier in this thread about how I was cornered and nearly attacked by an angry big dog as a child, but how encountering friendly dogs later on allowed me to place that into context.
MOSTLY POSITIVE, or they don't want to get pegged as a dog-hater or whiner by speaking-out
about a dog that is a real pain in their butt??????

The number of times I have had to listen to a dog screeeeech, squawk and carry-on for hours on end...............UGH! But somehow, I guess this is acceptable in the USA.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:20 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
From my observation I would say 90% of dog owners are irresponsible, ignorant, lazy.
I equate it with the dog cruelty:
-A dog is never walked: spends its time in a small yard, bored out of its mind and is barking/ yapping at everything that moves or makes a slight sound
- a dog is never properly trained and disciplined: the dog owners find it “ cute” when the dog jumps on people, or being “mouthy”, etc
- they do not pick up after their dog or pick up and throw the bag on the ground- even every one of u says that they pick up- there was at least a few times - that you did not!
The dogs that “reside” in the backyards are never or really picked after - leading to rats problems
- the dogs are allowed to run off leash- in spite of the signs” dogs must be leashed”
Or the dogs are on the beach or somewhere where the sign explicitly states that “ dogs are not allowed”

As a society we generally are overly concerned more with dogs than people..
wish we had our priorities straight...
That may be true, but I don't see that where I live. I see dogs on leashes, people picking up their excrement, and people waiting for their appointment at the veterinarian's office.

I've seen off-leash dogs at beaches in the shoulder seasons. They were either playing in the surf or catching a Frisbee.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 PM

82 posts, read 69,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I gave her a point. Not everyone wants to raise children or own dogs. That's fine with me. Not all children are screaming brats, and not all dogs are uncontrolled killers. You're either a responsible person or you aren't.
Children are humans, dogs are ANIMALS. You can’t teach them, they are uncivilized dangerous creatures. This was a very sad article. Dogs need to be taken off the streets if their owners aren’t looking after them

Old 09-07-2019, 08:41 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Children are humans, dogs are ANIMALS. You can’t teach them, they are uncivilized dangerous creatures. This was a very sad article. Dogs need to be taken off the streets if their owners aren’t looking after them
Again, I'll sign you over my house and everything else I own if you can make my pug mean, uncivilized, and dangerous.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I think its hilarious that someone in a 3rd world country is trying to lecture people on dogs lol

Old 09-07-2019, 09:20 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
From my observation I would say 90% of dog owners are irresponsible, ignorant, lazy.
I equate it with the dog cruelty:
-A dog is never walked: spends its time in a small yard, bored out of its mind and is barking/ yapping at everything that moves or makes a slight sound
- a dog is never properly trained and disciplined: the dog owners find it “ cute” when the dog jumps on people, or being “mouthy”, etc
- they do not pick up after their dog or pick up and throw the bag on the ground- even every one of u says that they pick up- there was at least a few times - that you did not!
The dogs that “reside” in the backyards are never or really picked after - leading to rats problems
- the dogs are allowed to run off leash- in spite of the signs” dogs must be leashed”
Or the dogs are on the beach or somewhere where the sign explicitly states that “ dogs are not allowed”

As a society we generally are overly concerned more with dogs than people..
wish we had our priorities straight.
Agree 100%.

One day, MAYBE, I might get a dog. MAYBE. It will be when I have the time to train it properly, and when I have the time to spend (or can afford to pay a cleaning person) to clean my house of the dog hair that would be generated, and when I have the time to spend with it, playing and walking it. But that time, if it comes, will be when I am too old to travel and do all the other things I want to do. I am simply too busy living my life doing all the things I want to do, to have a dog. And I know that, so I don't have one.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
You can teach them. They are pack animals who need a leader. If you are the leader, the master, they obey and follow you. They want food, affection, and warmth when it's cold. It's not hard to understand.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I am sure that may happen in some situations, perhaps more so in some parts of the world than others, but surely you also understand that the majority of people have grown up with mostly positive associations with dogs whether it is by growing up in households with them or relatives, friends and neighbors owning them. I told the story earlier in this thread about how I was cornered and nearly attacked by an angry big dog as a child, but how encountering friendly dogs later on allowed me to place that into context.
Yes me too. I got bitten on the arm by a German Shepherd when I was about 6. My grandfather, who always loved animals (we had many dogs, cats, ducks, a donkey and a horse, all but one dog slept in the barn or stable) brought it from his store in Philly, it’s owner lived a couple houses down and was giving it away. She said neighborhood kids were throwing rocks at it in the fenced in yard. I was petting it for quite awhile, then I reached in again toward his face and I guess he got a flashback of kids hurting him, and he bit me. I remember crying at the hospital not because it hurt (it wasn’t deep, maybe 6 or 8 stitches). I was crying because the dog didn’t like me.

I had another really bizarre instance where I got trapped by a Great Dane while riding my bike as a young teen. It was a nice neighborhood and it looked well cared for so I assume it got out. It growled at me on the sidewalk so I stopped riding and stood still. It stopped growling and just sat there not doing anything, but every time I tried to take a step it growled again. I think I was trapped there for like half hour before it walked off.

Then about 5 years ago I got bitten on a finger by a friends rather nasty little chihuahua. He was chewing a tissue and the mom asked me to get it from him.

But like you, many, many more of my experiences with dogs have been positive. Those isolated incidents never affected my love for dogs and animals in general.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:01 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I gave her a point. Not everyone wants to raise children or own dogs. That's fine with me. Not all children are screaming brats, and not all dogs are uncontrolled killers. You're either a responsible person or you aren't.
Thank you, but I think you read my post the wrong way and I want to clarify. I dont dislike babies or kids nor think they are “bratty” as a rule, in fact I worked with 3 year olds to middle school for several years and am close to the kids in my family. I will say I preferred working with second graders and older than the preschoolers (most were non-verbal and I like to have conversations).

I’ve also defended on these boards many a child (and parent) who was being attacked as a brat and much worse on some thread or another and I thought was just being a typical kid (example the kid who hugged the statue in the art display and broke it).

I just don’t have the gene that makes me fall in love with babies or feel maternal or bonded with them like it appears most women have. If a coworker came into the office with her new baby, the other women would be fighting each other off to hold it, I never felt any desire to hold it.

But if a coworker came in with her new puppy, I’d have steamrolled everyone in my way of it, and I would still be smiling when I thought about the puppy hours and days later. I also feel protective instinct toward animals. As a little girl, I never wanted dolls, I used stuffed animals as my “babies”.

My point was this wasnt a choice to feel bonded and overwhelmed with joy when with animals and not feel that way with human babies, i was born this way. And the people who feel nothing positive when they look at a dog, I don’t think they could feel differently even if they wanted to.

So what they are attributing to superior intelligence and superior logical thinking skills, I attribute to simply being born different than animal lovers. They can’t understand it because they are not feeling the emotion and you can’t understand someone’s feelings through logic or really any thought process at all.

And it certainly doesn’t mean I don’t feel emotion for nor care about people. My entire life has been devoted to caring for people, starting with my grandmother and and then a 20+ years so far career working in geriatric rehab in nursing homes. I am very affectionate and loving with the residents.
I work in some very poor areas and am often buying socks, a belt, and reading glasses for my people. Last week I gave a patient one of my own horseshoe neck pillows from home because he couldn’t hold his head up and his neck hurt because it was always bent to the left, and no one else was apparently going to do anything about it.

I’m a loving person in general. This idea that if you love animals you’re choosing them over caring for people is absurd. In fact I would bet it’s the opposite. These guys who hate dogs, I am willing to bet are not really loving, caring, emotional people period, including toward humans.

Truthfully they’re beginning to sound like trolls, their posts are so extreme and so designed to divide.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-08-2019 at 12:33 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 01:09 AM

285 posts, read 204,421 times
Very, very sad. As a previous dog owner (loved my old Denver) and a parent, I cannot even begin to fathom this tragic loss. I am so sorry for this young girl's family.

I'm a bit confused why a person would own so many dogs in the first place. Seems a bit excessive to me including that electric fence.

Sad... just so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events