Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
In my area, about 6-8 months ago, a 38 year old man stopped his car on the side of the freeway and jumped in front of a semi going 65 miles per hour.....it was a suicide, they found his suicide note.

How are we going to stop people from jumping in front of trucks and trains?

We just can't save everyone from themselves and we have to learn where to draw the line.
Who are you to say he's not better off after killing himself? And what do you think we are supposed to save people from, we all die anyway - you really want to die in a nursing home 95 years old? I sure as hell don't.
What the US needs is a legit way for people to exit their lives that doesn't involve terrifying methods such as heights, guns and ropes. The US is in the dark ages when it comes to suicide.

Last edited by duke944; 10-01-2019 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 07:44 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Who are you to say he's not better off after killing himself? And what do you think we are supposed to save people from, we all die anyway - you really want to die in a nursing home 95 years old? I sure as hell don't.
What the US needs is a legit way for people to exit their lives that don't involve terrifying methods such as heights, guns and ropes. The US is in the dark ages when it comes to suicide.
Pretty much.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:57 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
In my area, about 6-8 months ago, a 38 year old man stopped his car on the side of the freeway and jumped in front of a semi going 65 miles per hour.....it was a suicide, they found his suicide note.

How are we going to stop people from jumping in front of trucks and trains?

We just can't save everyone from themselves and we have to learn where to draw the line.
True, almost anything can be used to kill yourself if you’re hell bent on doing it. You can kill yourself with a pencil. It’s very sad that for some folks this is in their mind their only alternative. There isn’t any way to prevent all of these deaths as in the very act of living lives, anything and everything would have to cease. None of us would be able to live.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:01 PM

408 posts, read 259,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Cost: $5850 + airfare.
If you charge it, it's free.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
Oh God.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:13 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
True, almost anything can be used to kill yourself if you’re hell bent on doing it. You can kill yourself with a pencil. It’s very sad that for some folks this is in their mind their only alternative. There isn’t any way to prevent all of these deaths as in the very act of living lives, anything and everything would have to cease. None of us would be able to live.
This post is incomprehensible. First of all, please explain how one can kill themselves with a pencil. Then, explain what in the hell you are talking about if someone ends their life that somehow effects yours?

Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I imagine they don't take credit cards.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:27 PM

914 posts, read 642,286 times
Have you seen the stories of men sucker-punching women for sport? It usually occurs during the morning rush and the streets are full of those walking to work from the rail or bus stop. When I read this story I wondered what it would take for one mental druggie to pick some stranger up and toss them over the edge. There's so many sick people running about. I think that wall needs to be a little higher. We didn't used to have these idiots out and about. Recall the joker who picked up a strange boy in the mall and tossed him over the catwalk? What's to stop the same angry derelicts from doing the same thing there on the sky walk?

Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This post is incomprehensible. First of all, please explain how one can kill themselves with a pencil. Then, explain what in the hell you are talking about if someone ends their life that somehow effects yours?
I’m not going to give anyone any idea about the pencil but it’s possible. Also my post was responding to another poster about how we can’t stop suicides in general as too many issues. One poster mentioned all cars would need to be eliminated. I’m referring to the fact that anything can be used as a weapon to kill oneself and anywhere you go or eat or travel too, if someone wants to die they will do it. Therefore we can’t stop all of this by giving up cars, traveling, should Grand Canyon and Yellowstone be closed as people kill themselves there, no. Should people stop driving, should overpasses be torn down, that’s what I meant. We can’t stop all of these people from killing themselves.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:43 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Ban bathrobe sashes, especially after Robin Williams and David Carradine (although I don't think that David actually meant to kill himself, he was simply partying like a rock star and took it a bit too far).

I don't mean to make light, but I have to wonder if the guy at the Skywalk thought to himself, "Man, is this place ever beautiful" on the way down? If you're gonna go, you could have worse last looks. As was mentioned earlier, he did some damage to the folks who are paying the note off on that monstrosity, but maybe he figured that since the tribe is stiffing all the visitors, stiffing them in return would be fair play.

He could have just asked Kevin Hart for a ride to Taco Bell, that would have done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events