Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:45 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times

Advertisements

What awaited Robin Williams was the entropy into old age death, and he wasn't having any of it. Don't blaim him one bit for deciding he'd seen and had enough of this life, nothing left to do or see so wtf. Hanging can end up being in a coma for years, kept alive by machines. I don't know if the brain still functions enough to bring endless nightmares or what, so I'd never try it. Living will or not I wouldn't take any risk if I decided to end it, and trying to hang yourself isn't up to snuff. (pun intended)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
By RStevens62's theory wouldn't EVERY skydiver die from shock?

I have skydived multiple times but I must be lucky that "shock" didn't kill me
I can see where in some instances dying from shock would be plausible. Who knows? Skydiving with a chute is different. The person is doing it for fun and entertainment and is excited about it. They’re not thinking of killing
themselves, therefore the brain accepts this as a planned controlled happy event. Much different than a person jumping to their death planning to end it all and going splat into the water or to the ground hundreds of feet down from a cliff.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:56 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,674 times
Even though I’ve responded to this conversation a few times I find this topic to be the most morbid thing. I never ever researched assisted suicide and had no idea of the place in Switzerland. I’m glad I’m not at a point where I’m even considering it seriously yet from reading other threads I can understand someone wanting to bow out so to speak. I’ve had some tumultuous years about the last ten or more have sucked. It’s been like a roller coaster sometimes. But I keep moving forward and picking myself up again as don’t know what else to do.
I hope anyone seriously contemplating this isn’t reading this thread or seeks help.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:08 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Difference is, you knew you had a parachute. Or at least I'm assuming that was the case.
Has nothing to do with it. Falling at terminal velocity (120mph) doesn't kill people.

By your logic, Luke Aikins should have died during the descent. Lemme guess....he survived because he was wearing a helmet!

Old 10-06-2019, 01:41 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Even though I’ve responded to this conversation a few times I find this topic to be the most morbid thing. I never ever researched assisted suicide and had no idea of the place in Switzerland. I’m glad I’m not at a point where I’m even considering it seriously yet from reading other threads I can understand someone wanting to bow out so to speak. I’ve had some tumultuous years about the last ten or more have sucked. It’s been like a roller coaster sometimes. But I keep moving forward and picking myself up again as don’t know what else to do.
I hope anyone seriously contemplating this isn’t reading this thread or seeks help.
If you've ever worked in a Long-Term Care Facility, and walk about the facility, particularly the Vent-Trach unit, where they're all connected to a myriad of tubes, you shake your head in wonder, why, why, why do they keep hanging on?

I've run across the most hopeless cases, and why? I want to live long enough to see my first great or great-great grandchild. Go thru all that daily suffering for that? And so great or great-great grandchild comes to visit, and? As they're hooked up to all these tubes and completely bedridden, and looking at the catheter bag? I don't have to tell you what thoughts are going thru their heads!

When my last partner was in the end stages of AIDS, he accidentally deficated in his pants one day, and I was more than willing to clean up after him for 10 more years, no problem, and he said: That's it! I'm outta here! When I have to have someone change my pants, then it's time to go!

And? He starved himself to death with massive doses of morphine! A different form of suicide!

Old 10-06-2019, 01:58 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
You are right, I seriously doubt jumpers die of fright on the way down. What I think is going to happen jumping off the Golden Gate bridge is this: you jump, free falling for several seconds, then hit the water. You hope for the hit to knock you out, but most likely it doesn't and you end up with terrible blunt force injuries as you descend deeply into the ocean - like 20+ feet, where you end up drowning.
It's an absolutely terrifying and potentially excrutiatingly painful way to die with very much unkown results, and I really can't fathom choosing this method - for those who have, they have way more guts than I.
I thought you die from the force of water entering body orifices and causing massive internal injuries when you jump from heights. That's what I read, anyway.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:36 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,178 times
I was under the assumption that only Nembutal could be used for a painless suicide. You simply take it and die peacefully, but it is not available in the United States. It seems that it has been replaced with nitrogen. With this, you put a bag over your head and die peacefully. The downside is it will cost around $300 for all the supplies. If I was suicidal, this is what I would use. This video explains it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-nTAU3vXzQ&t=12s

Old 10-06-2019, 08:33 AM

1,709 posts, read 805,913 times
Some years ago a book came out entitled Final Exit. It looked at all the ways of ending it all.

Interestingly, it's genre is listed as "self help".

Old 10-06-2019, 08:39 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I was under the assumption that only Nembutal could be used for a painless suicide. You simply take it and die peacefully, but it is not available in the United States. It seems that it has been replaced with nitrogen. With this, you put a bag over your head and die peacefully. The downside is it will cost around $300 for all the supplies. If I was suicidal, this is what I would use. This video explains it all.
$300 is a downside? lol That’s nothing compared to the cost of nursing homes/assisted living or what you would spend on cancer treatments (or whatever other awful disease you’ll end up getting in your old age).

Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
FFS...

This skywalk is not - repeat, not - in Grand Canyon National Park. This is made clear in the second sentence of the linked article. The national park encompasses only a portion of the canyon. The skywalk is on tribal lands; it was built and is operated by the Hualapai Indian Tribe.
Correct. Their land, their freedom. As long as 10 more of these things aren't built in other areas of the GC - I see no problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events