Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No way is a D.A. going to let her get off lightly. It's horrible enough that she drunkenly killed two kids, but her conduct after the accident is too much to ignore, and too heinous to allow her to buy her way free. She is going to do time, the question is how much. I think everyone will agree it won't be enough.

A similar accident happened here where some idiot came flying over a hill, drunk, and smashed into a motorcycle sitting at a red light, killing a husband and wife. He got 7 years in prison, which I think was light. He also drove away from the accident scene before turning himself into police.
She is already getting off lightly. She is charged with manslaughter. Based on the reports, she should be charged with vehicular homicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 07:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
She is already getting off lightly. She is charged with manslaughter. Based on the reports, she should be charged with vehicular homicide.
I'd be surprised if more charges are not forthcoming. For one thing, the court of public opinion is about to crucify this district attorney if that is all she faces.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if more charges are not forthcoming. For one thing, the court of public opinion is about to crucify this district attorney if that is all she faces.
Don't hold your breath. LA has a very corrupt DA who does not charge anyone who is wealthy enough and who donates to her re-election campaign. I would be surprised if this woman hasn't already donated, or is in the process. She is certainly wealthy enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Lacey#Criticism

Old 10-04-2020, 10:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
How terrible for the parents and family of those boys!

I lost a friend and his wife to a drunk driver about 2 yrs ago, the guy was caught and convicted, but its not enough imo...its time we start going after those that supplied these people with the alcohol!!

If these people had been under the influence of prescription narcotics, you can BET, police would be going after the doctors who gave it to them, the pharmacies who filled the script and maybe even the drugs manufacturer!

Old 10-04-2020, 10:36 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Yup,just read the same thing about her running the poor kid over with her car to leave.
https://abc7.com/westlake-village-re...ander/6687324/

I would check her cellphone records. I bet she called someone after she took off and they probably told her to stop. That’s why she stopped 1.5 miles away from the crime scene.

I hope she gets full punishment, but wouldn’t be surprised if her lawyers get her reduced sentence. I would also expect her lawyers to settle with the kid’s family by giving then many millions to avoid civil suit. Amazing what money can do for you when you screw up. Any regular person would be screwed for life.
Thanks for the link, I hope she's going to be going away for life. I'm appalled they let her go on bail. They have video of it! Apparently she goes to court October 21st

From your article

Quote:
Investigators say alcohol and street racing may have played a part in the collision.

According to the sheriff's department, after the collision, it appears one of the boys was carried for more than a hundred feet down the road on the hood of the car. When Grossman eventually hit the brakes, they believe the boy rolled off into the street, and then Grossman ran over him, leaving the scene. She finally pulled over a mile and a half away.

Investigators tell Eyewitness News they have surveillance video of the incident
People magazine

2 Young Brothers Killed in Front of Parents by Car, and Socialite Driver Is Charged with DUI - Police allege Rebecca Grossman did not stay at the scene of Tuesday night's crash

Quote:
A Los Angeles socialite is facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter for allegedly killing two young brothers with her car Tuesday night while allegedly driving drunk.

Police allege Grossman did not stay at the scene after the crash.

Her white Mercedes — with obvious front-end damage — was found a half a mile from the scene, and towed away, police said.

The two boys were walking with their family at the time they were hit.

Police said a second car was involved, and they are still searching for it and its driver.

The boys' mother, according to police, realized the two vehicles were speeding towards them, and managed to pull two of her other children to safety.

Just then, the other two children were allegedly struck by Grossman's vehicle.

This article has a pic of her car. That's a lot of front end damage!

'TRAGIC' ‘Drunk’ socialite ex-magazine boss ‘hits & kills 2 brothers in front of parents & carries one on car hood for 100 FEET’

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-04-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-04-2020, 01:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the link, I hope she's going to be going away for life. I'm appalled they let her go on bail. They have video of it! Apparently she goes to court October 21st

From your article

People magazine

2 Young Brothers Killed in Front of Parents by Car, and Socialite Driver Is Charged with DUI - Police allege Rebecca Grossman did not stay at the scene of Tuesday night's crash

This article has a pic of her car. That's a lot of front end damage!

'TRAGIC' ‘Drunk’ socialite ex-magazine boss ‘hits & kills 2 brothers in front of parents & carries one on car hood for 100 FEET’
You're welcome! It is too bad she was able to get out on bail, even though it was a large amount, she has the money to get out. I really hope she gets all she deserves. The thing that bothers me is that she drove away 1.5 miles after the boy fell off her hood. Really feel bad for this family that was just walking across the street on a Friday evening to lose two of their children.

Old 10-04-2020, 01:12 PM

So we have this white **** who was driving drunk, and street racing, she hit the kid, slammed on her brakes and threw him off her car, then ran over him. All she gets charged with is vehicular manslaughter. Now lets compare it to this case.

Quote:
Two men, Luis Samaniego Barajas and Zachary Frank Leets, were alleged to have been racing on Pacific Coast Highway when the vehicle Samaniego Barajas was driving crashed against a center divider. The car flew into oncoming traffic, hitting Rojas’ vehicle.

Recently, the two defendants — who were originally facing a murder charge — pleaded no contest to vehicular manslaughter. Samaniego Barajas and Leets will be sentenced to four years in state prison in January.
In prosecutions of street racing, penalties aren’t as stiff as some would like - Los Angeles Times

These guys were charged with murder, and then plea bargained down to vehicular manslaughter, and were sentenced to four years. But this woman is starting off with a vehicular manslaughter charge, and will be able to plea bargain down from there, to who knows what, driving a defective vehicle or something. I will be very surprised if she spends anymore time in jail, then she already has.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:12 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So we have this white **** who was driving drunk, and street racing, she hit the kid, slammed on her brakes and threw him off her car, then ran over him. All she gets charged with is vehicular manslaughter. Now lets compare it to this case.

In prosecutions of street racing, penalties aren’t as stiff as some would like - Los Angeles Times

These guys were charged with murder, and then plea bargained down to vehicular manslaughter, and were sentenced to four years. But this woman is starting off with a vehicular manslaughter charge, and will be able to plea bargain down from there, to who knows what, driving a defective vehicle or something. I will be very surprised if she spends anymore time in jail, then she already has.
That's disgusting that California doesn't take this more serious.

I found a non pay article for the one you linked. One left the scene but was arrested and has been in jail. He originally got 11 years.

Quote:
Barajas was hospitalized and Leets sped away in his BMW, prosecutors said. He was arrested weeks later.

The crash was so powerful, the engine in Rojas’ car broke free from the hood and landed in the street, according to court testimony. Leets and Samaniego Barajas pleaded no contest to vehicular manslaughter in November, avoiding trial.

Leets has been in custody since his arrest and has earned more than a year’s worth of credit for time served. He originally faced up to 11 years in prison and Samaniego Barajas faced up to six, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:18 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
What a tragic event. Those poor parents. I heard about this when it happened on Thursday. It was on the Los Angeles news.

IF it happened (or reported to happen) at 19:10, then that's certainly AFTER the sun has gone down. But not by much. If the defense can convince the DA, that the event happened 20 minutes earlier, they may have a defense. Not that I want the driver to escape responsibility, as I do not.

In motorcycling, we understand "SMIDSY." (Sorry Mister, I Didn't See You.) It kills motorcyclists, as well as bicyclists & pedestrians. (Too bad it hasn't gotta rid of the idiots purposely standing in the way of vehicles.) Maybe it's time to change the traffic laws with regards to "Peds having right of way."

Happens all too often. Now you understand the reasoning for the downgraded charges.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
No way is a D.A. going to let her get off lightly. It's horrible enough that she drunkenly killed two kids, but her conduct after the accident is too much to ignore, and too heinous to allow her to buy her way free. She is going to do time, the question is how much. I think everyone will agree it won't be enough.

A similar accident happened here where some idiot came flying over a hill, drunk, and smashed into a motorcycle sitting at a red light, killing a husband and wife. He got 7 years in prison, which I think was light. He also drove away from the accident scene before turning himself into police.
Sadly I don't believe California has strict enough laws in place to go after some really deep pockets!

Dram Shop laws in California are extremely limited. Recent California legislation has removed the strict liability for businesses who serve alcohol to patrons. In other words, even liquor stores or bars may not be held responsible for selling alcohol to persons who are obviously intoxicated.

riderzlaw.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events