Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 08:15 AM

9,844 posts, read 4,626,999 times

Advertisements

Adult drunks are the worst because they get worse as time goes on. She's been driving drunk for a long time. She either got lucky or out of previous events. Maybe her schedule keeps her off the roads during prime drive time. The problem is if this is her first criminal offense she'll probably get a break just for that. The charity thing will only come into during sentencing if she's convicted. The circles she travels in probably have similar habits.

The most telling about her character is drove away and was found elsewhere. She didn't rethink it and drive back.

So in her late 50s when many are securing a positive legacy hers will be drunk driver, killer of 2 of children. This is a perfect example why first time offenders and those younger must pay a stiffer penalty.

Condolences to the family/victim of another drunk driver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 08:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Want to move this forward since there's a new page. Please sign the petition and share on Facebook to give her the maximum jail sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I see in the article you linked there's a petition to prosecute her to the full extent. I can't believe they don't even have 15,000 signatures. I signed it. Hopefully others here will too. I also shared on my FB, I know my friends will sign and share. They all hate kid killers!

Justice for Mark and Jacob Iskander 13,848 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!

Old 12-31-2020, 09:56 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
I thought this was recent, but she did this in September. It’s in the news again because she was just charged with two counts of murder plus myriad other charges. It sounds like speeding was the main factor. And not that it excuses her even the tiniest bit, but that intersection needs lights and possibly a traffic light. It looks pitch dark.

I hope she gets a long long sentence, however I do not think that public opinion or petitions should have any influence at all over what kind of sentence an accused get. That is only for a jury and judge to decide. The family gets to speak at the sentencing hearing, that is how it should be.

We still have a justice system in this country. She hasn’t even gone to trial yet, yet there’s a petition asking for a certain sentence?

Old 12-31-2020, 10:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
Well it looks like her toxicology report is still pending according to the article linked below. 3 months to check what her BAC level was during the day of the killings? So she has finally been charged with 2 murders, but still pending on whether she was drunk at the time of the killings.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philanthr...160216302.html
Quote:
She was arrested shortly after on suspicion of manslaughter and driving under the influence (DUI). She was later charged with murder for the crash in September.

The sheriff’s department confirmed on Wednesday that it is still waiting for the results of the toxicology report from the night of the crash.

The department said that the DUI part of the case remains under investigation and added that Ms Grossman could face further charges once the results of the toxicology report are in.

Last edited by teqp; 12-31-2020 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-31-2020, 01:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Adult drunks are the worst because they get worse as time goes on. She's been driving drunk for a long time. She either got lucky or out of previous events. Maybe her schedule keeps her off the roads during prime drive time. The problem is if this is her first criminal offense she'll probably get a break just for that. The charity thing will only come into during sentencing if she's convicted. The circles she travels in probably have similar habits.

The most telling about her character is drove away and was found elsewhere. She didn't rethink it and drive back.

So in her late 50s when many are securing a positive legacy hers will be drunk driver, killer of 2 of children. This is a perfect example why first time offenders and those younger must pay a stiffer penalty.

Condolences to the family/victim of another drunk driver
This is something I dont understand, Ive heard others say the same thing about people who habitually drive drunk..."its luck that gets them home safely without harming anyone else"...

'Luck' would explain 1 or 2, maybe 3 times...but LOTS more than that....that is something else, Im not suggesting people can acclimate to drive drunk safely, but its definitely not luck that gets them to the destination over and over and over again each night.

I use to work with a guy like this, he would stay up all night drinking, and then drink on the drive into work! He would drink all thru out the work day as well...never once, in close to 14 yrs did he have any accidents or injure anyone...I dont know how to explain that, Im not sure there is an explanation.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:43 PM

9,844 posts, read 4,626,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is something I dont understand, Ive heard others say the same thing about people who habitually drive drunk..."its luck that gets them home safely without harming anyone else"...

'Luck' would explain 1 or 2, maybe 3 times...but LOTS more than that....that is something else, Im not suggesting people can acclimate to drive drunk safely, but its definitely not luck that gets them to the destination over and over and over again each night.

I use to work with a guy like this, he would stay up all night drinking, and then drink on the drive into work! He would drink all thru out the work day as well...never once, in close to 14 yrs did he have any accidents or injure anyone...I dont know how to explain that, Im not sure there is an explanation.
With the so called functional alcoholic it usally takes enabling and favors for them to be drunk all day. At work it means fellow employees are covering for or enabling them. And depending on the drive I know a long term drunk who was able to zig zag their way thru the worst neighborhoods in a big city because nobody cared about people driving through even cops. And when he couldn't zig zag he was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, if he had highway driving I doubt he would have survived let alone keep a good driving record. That long term drunk wound up with a couple of accidents in company vehicles, got caught lying to management and failed multiple drug tests. He also was well on the road to divorce before his first company accident. Also just a few years after one their firings/suspensions the county set up dui checkpoints on a major road he used coming home from local bars. Havent heard a good or bad word. This is over a decade ago it's different times now.

I will say drug & alcohol abuse is about bad HABITS but being habitual allows them to use and execute the same routine including routes to work(for a while, not ever). Every place I've worked there is s distinct driving pattern getting there. Most pick up on it even if subconsciencely. This women and others probably drive through areas that have low crime and traffic incidents which means the police presence won't be as intense so they in theory could snooze at stop sign or red light and get away with it.

That being said the average person drives drunk 80 times prior to a getting a dui. And that's a low number, I've read or heard numbers in the thousands. I think since many drunks close a bar driving home after midnight the streets and rds empty enough to avoid accidents. They could be missing stop signs, blowing lights or swerving but anyone there to notice?

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/fac...?id=D000033563

Last edited by anononcty; 12-31-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 04:27 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
Geesh, we got COVID tests and vaccines more quickly than Grossmans topology report. It’s not like they have to culture the stuff for months. I know they may have a backlog, but still. Maybe her lawyer is deliberately doing something to stall..

Old 12-31-2020, 04:29 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
I wonder if she will be drinking and driving tonight for NYE...

Old 12-31-2020, 11:54 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:

We don't know yet if she was drunk. The articles I read said things like she may have been over the limit, but it doesn't sound like she was falling down drunk. I think speeding will turn out to be the bigger factor. Zooming through a dark intersection at a fast clip, didn't see the family in the crosswalk, and the rest is tragic history.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:31 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought this was recent, but she did this in September. It’s in the news again because she was just charged with two counts of murder plus myriad other charges. It sounds like speeding was the main factor. And not that it excuses her even the tiniest bit, but that intersection needs lights and possibly a traffic light. It looks pitch dark.

I hope she gets a long long sentence, however I do not think that public opinion or petitions should have any influence at all over what kind of sentence an accused get. That is only for a jury and judge to decide. The family gets to speak at the sentencing hearing, that is how it should be.

We still have a justice system in this country. She hasn’t even gone to trial yet, yet there’s a petition asking for a certain sentence?
The petition is to show support to the family and so the family can say there is also this many people that feel the way we do. Of course the judge isn't going to throw the book at her because of the petition.

You don't have kids do you? I know you talk about your brothers kids but never saw you talk about your own. I can't say to you "how would you feel if this was 2 of your kids" because you don't have any. How would you feel if it was 2 of your brothers kids? It's really is not the same had they been your own kids that you raised from babies.

Losing a child, especially a young child, is very devastating to parents. To not only lose one, but two is even more devastating. Add to it their siblings also suffered the loss too. It was not only a loss, they saw the car coming at them. The parents have to live with how they could only get 2 of their 4 kids out of the way. I don't doubt there will be a lot of self blame for not having the time to grab all 4 kids. A loss because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Trying to be out for a little family time during this virus while this b*tch drove drunk. I'm 100% sure of that, plus she was racing someone. I have not read if they found the 2nd car yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We don't know yet if she was drunk. The articles I read said things like she may have been over the limit, but it doesn't sound like she was falling down drunk. I think speeding will turn out to be the bigger factor. Zooming through a dark intersection at a fast clip, didn't see the family in the crosswalk, and the rest is tragic history.
I don't recall if they did a breathalyzer or not. It shouldn't have taken this long to get her results back. From what I remember back when it happened, she was drinking, it was just a matter of how much.

I forgot, there's actually video of the accident and how she took off. The accident happened at 7:10pm, by 12:30 am she was bailed out of jail. Wish I could find where they arrested her but I'm not seeing if it was where her car was or if she turned herself in later.

The article below says she was charged with a DUI, others say alleged DUI. My point is she was at the police station, you'd think they did a breathalyzer on her to know what her blood alcohol reading was.

2 Young Brothers Killed in Front of Parents by Car, and Socialite Driver Is Charged with DUI

Quote:
Back in the 80's, my son was about 3, we were living with my parents. I some how drove home from a bar that's 43 to 50 miles away from my house, I was totally crocked. To this day I'm clueless how I even drove home and did not have an accident. I swore that if I made it home I would never drink and drive, I didn't.

Quote:

I used to joke to my son when he was little that we went to work at my dad's gas station and back home so many times that my car could drive the route itself. I think it's similar for someone like your co-worker that he drove it so many times, he was on automatic. Then again, he probably was immune to some of the alcohol because he drank so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events