Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 05:53 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Don't hold your breath. LA has a very corrupt DA who does not charge anyone who is wealthy enough and who donates to her re-election campaign. I would be surprised if this woman hasn't already donated, or is in the process. She is certainly wealthy enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Lacey#Criticism
Wow, she is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 03:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
california ranks right up there with Florida in their laws to protect the criminals.

My goodness, that family is grieving two children....No words can be said to comfort that level of loss.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:25 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
I guess the results of the blood test for alcohol haven't come back yet---wonder if $ can make that go away....

To me it's fascinating (in a horrible way) that a 57 year old women would be speed racing as originally thought. A 57 year old woman speeding, yeah. A 17 year old boy speed racing, yup. But 57 to be speed racing on the streets when you are rich enough to go to a private race track and do your thing?

Old 10-05-2020, 06:35 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
california ranks right up there with Florida in their laws to protect the criminals.

My goodness, that family is grieving two children....No words can be said to comfort that level of loss.
Incorrect. California has the three strikes law, which locks people up for minor offenses. It's the US Constitution that protects those accused of crimes, which is as it should be. The problem in California is not the rights of the accused, but rather corruption and white privilege. If you have the money to pay off the DA, you will get off lightly in LA, and probably most of the rest of California.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:54 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I guess the results of the blood test for alcohol haven't come back yet---wonder if $ can make that go away....

To me it's fascinating (in a horrible way) that a 57 year old women would be speed racing as originally thought. A 57 year old woman speeding, yeah. A 17 year old boy speed racing, yup. But 57 to be speed racing on the streets when you are rich enough to go to a private race track and do your thing?
When someone has been drinking, the first thing that goes out the window is judgement. It appears, she has none.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:51 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
Incorrect. California has the three strikes law, which locks people up for minor offenses. It's the US Constitution that protects those accused of crimes, which is as it should be. The problem in California is not the rights of the accused, but rather corruption and white privilege. If you have the money to pay off the DA, you will get off lightly in LA, and probably most of the rest of California.
Let’s change that to “rich” privilege.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Let’s change that to “rich” privilege.
Same thing. We know who the rich are.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-05-2020 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2020, 10:04 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
A lot of speculation here by people who don't have a full grasp of the facts. We'll see what the investigation comes up with before knowing whether all appropriate charges will be filed. She may have had a prior. That would up the charge to Murder 2. Or she may have been determined to have tried to flee the scene. That could add 4 years to what is already looking to be a 8 to 15 year sentence. She has a defense in the sun going down and the visibility on that curve is pretty bad for that crosswalk.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:04 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
A lot of speculation here by people who don't have a full grasp of the facts. We'll see what the investigation comes up with before knowing whether all appropriate charges will be filed. She may have had a prior. That would up the charge to Murder 2. Or she may have been determined to have tried to flee the scene. That could add 4 years to what is already looking to be a 8 to 15 year sentence. She has a defense in the sun going down and the visibility on that curve is pretty bad for that crosswalk.
Thankfully they have video. They know she stopped and the boy fell off the car, they know she then drove over him. I'm not sure if they have video of her racing the other car and hitting the kid, I think if they did, we'd see a description of the other car she was racing.

Someone posted that the sun was already down. I'm sure her attorney will use the lack of visibility to shift the blame away from her.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:43 AM

351 posts, read 224,702 times
Quote:
So we have this white **** who was driving drunk, and street racing, she hit the kid, slammed on her brakes and threw him off her car, then ran over him. All she gets charged with is vehicular manslaughter. Now lets compare it to this case.

In prosecutions of street racing, penalties aren’t as stiff as some would like - Los Angeles Times

These guys were charged with murder, and then plea bargained down to vehicular manslaughter, and were sentenced to four years. But this woman is starting off with a vehicular manslaughter charge, and will be able to plea bargain down from there, to who knows what, driving a defective vehicle or something. I will be very surprised if she spends anymore time in jail, then she already has.
It isn't the "white" part of HER that will provide leniency, it is the "****" that will. That and $$$, but the "****" plays a massive role. Read any study or government stats on sentencing and the biased discrepancies are more than apparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events