Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 07:12 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The petition is to show support to the family and so the family can say there is also this many people that feel the way we do. Of course the judge isn't going to throw the book at her because of the petition.

You don't have kids do you? I know you talk about your brothers kids but never saw you talk about your own. I can't say to you "how would you feel if this was 2 of your kids" because you don't have any. How would you feel if it was 2 of your brothers kids? It's really is not the same had they been your own kids that you raised from babies.

Losing a child, especially a young child, is very devastating to parents. To not only lose one, but two is even more devastating. Add to it their siblings also suffered the loss too. It was not only a loss, they saw the car coming at them. The parents have to live with how they could only get 2 of their 4 kids out of the way. I don't doubt there will be a lot of self blame for not having the time to grab all 4 kids. A loss because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Trying to be out for a little family time during this virus while this b*tch drove drunk. I'm 100% sure of that, plus she was racing someone. I have not read if they found the 2nd car yet.

I don't recall if they did a breathalyzer or not. It shouldn't have taken this long to get her results back. From what I remember back when it happened, she was drinking, it was just a matter of how much.

I forgot, there's actually video of the accident and how she took off. The accident happened at 7:10pm, by 12:30 am she was bailed out of jail. Wish I could find where they arrested her but I'm not seeing if it was where her car was or if she turned herself in later.

The article below says she was charged with a DUI, others say alleged DUI. My point is she was at the police station, you'd think they did a breathalyzer on her to know what her blood alcohol reading was.

2 Young Brothers Killed in Front of Parents by Car, and Socialite Driver Is Charged with DUI

Back in the 80's, my son was about 3, we were living with my parents. I some how drove home from a bar that's 43 to 50 miles away from my house, I was totally crocked. To this day I'm clueless how I even drove home and did not have an accident. I swore that if I made it home I would never drink and drive, I didn't.

I used to joke to my son when he was little that we went to work at my dad's gas station and back home so many times that my car could drive the route itself. I think it's similar for someone like your co-worker that he drove it so many times, he was on automatic. Then again, he probably was immune to some of the alcohol because he drank so much.
Of course the parents are devastated. That is wby they are given a chance to speak at sentencing. But a petition arguing for a stiff sentence before the person has even been to trial is un-American IMO. She will be found guilty, but she hasn't been yet. And there are many kids killed in this country, why does only one or a few get a petition on their behalf? Why isn't the little boy or girl who got caught in the crossfire of gang shooting deserving of a petition? Why not another child who was killed by a drunk driver but didn't get this publicity? We're going to pick and choose who deserves public support and who doesn't, based on how much publicity the case gets? Is this really where we want to go as a society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 08:07 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Grossman Burn Foundation _ Rating by Charity Navigator

Oh look. A billionaire philanthropist who spends $83,000 a year to help burned children, which is a fraction of what she just spent to get out of jail, for murdering two children.

Complete scum.
I wonder who wrote this on the Charity Navigator website. I checked to make sure it wasn't Cloudy Dayz (CD poster) who copied it wrong. It's not Cloudy Dayz. It's exactly how it looks on the Charity Navigator website:

Quote:
THE MISSION OF THE GROSSMAN FOUNDATION IS TO EXPAND MEDICAL OPPORTUNITIES BY FASCILITATING WORLD CLASS MEDICAL CARE TO THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM DELABILATATIG INJURIES, BURN AND COGENITAL DEFORMITIES THAT HAVE LEFT THEM PHYSICALY IMPAIRED.
One sentence and 4 words spelled wrong in their mission statement:

Should be facilitating, debilitating, congenital and physically. My question is did Charity Navigator interpret the foundation's mission statement (they should be ashamed of themselves) or did the Grossman Burn Foundation (would you give money to a charity that spelled 4 words wrong in their own mission statement?) write it like this? If it's the latter I wouldn't give them a dime. I'd think they were a fly by night operation. If it's the former, I would think a 5th grader is running the Charity Navigator show and would ignore everything they said about any foundation.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I wonder who wrote this on the Charity Navigator website. I checked to make sure it wasn't Cloudy Dayz (CD poster) who copied it wrong. It's not Cloudy Dayz. It's exactly how it looks on the Charity Navigator website:

Should be facilitating, debilitating, congenital and physically. My question is did Charity Navigator interpret the foundation's mission statement (they should be ashamed of themselves) or did the Grossman Burn Foundation (would you give money to a charity that spelled 4 words wrong in their own mission statement?) write it like this? If it's the latter I wouldn't give them a dime. I'd think they were a fly by night operation. If it's the former, I would think a 5th grader is running the Charity Navigator show and would ignore everything they said about any foundation.
Just go to the foundation's own website and read the mission statement:

"The Grossman Burn Foundation’s mission is to promote effective, sustainable partnership solutions for the comprehensive treatment, care, and support of burn survivors and their families in the United States and around the world. GBF’s focus is on building in-country and local-level capacity through its global partnerships. Established in 2007, the GBF was created as the philanthropic arm of the Grossman Burn Centers, a pioneer in international burn treatment facilities. Founded by Dr. Peter H. Grossman (Director of the Grossman Burn Centers, Inc.), and his wife Rebecca Grossman, the GBF is headquartered in Los Angeles County and works to provide burn prevention education and self-sustainable burn treatment communities in the United States and around the world."

https://www.grossmanburncenter.com/g...n-foundation-1

The charity navigator site doesn't seem very comprehensive in any case. They only graded the financial aspects of the foundation and every other category says something like "not evaluated"

Reading stories about them, they have operated on thousands and thousands of burn victims as well as helped with emotional recovery, and in fact LA firefighters made the founder the first physician ever to be named an honorary fire chief.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-...414-story.html

Take a look at this little girl from Afghanistan and the remarkable job they did with her reconstructive surgery (12 altogether), at no cost to her family: https://www.grossmanburnfoundation.org/zubaida/. Picture about halfway down. It's truly remarkable.

I think it would be a shame to allow the actions of this woman to reflect on the foundation's work overall.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Of course the parents are devastated. That is wby they are given a chance to speak at sentencing. But a petition arguing for a stiff sentence before the person has even been to trial is un-American IMO. She will be found guilty, but she hasn't been yet. And there are many kids killed in this country, why does only one or a few get a petition on their behalf? Why isn't the little boy or girl who got caught in the crossfire of gang shooting deserving of a petition? Why not another child who was killed by a drunk driver but didn't get this publicity? We're going to pick and choose who deserves public support and who doesn't, based on how much publicity the case gets? Is this really where we want to go as a society?
I would sign a petition for the kid killed by the gang banger just like I'd sign any petition of any kid killed, no matter what their status or no matter how popular their case is. I guess you wouldn't sign any of them.

Quote:

Good question. I went to their web site, see below where I copied their mission statement as well as one from their "programs" section of the web site.

I also copied it direct from charity navigator, spell check shows debilitating spelled wrong plus the 1st word should be The not he.

Quote:
HE FOUNDATION FACILITATES WORLD CLASS MEDICAL CARE TO THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM DELABILITATING INJURIES, BURN AND CONGENITAL DEFORMITIES THAT HAVE LEFT THEM PHYSICALLY IMPAIRED.

WHO WE ARE

Quote:
The Grossman Burn Foundation’s mission is to promote effective, sustainable partnership solutions for the comprehensive treatment, care, and support of burn survivors and their families in the United States and around the world.

GBF’s focus is on building in-country and local-level capacity through its global partnerships. Established in 2007, the GBF was created as the philanthropic arm of the Grossman Burn Centers, a pioneer in international burn treatment facilities.

Founded by Dr. Peter H. Grossman (Director of the Grossman Burn Centers, Inc.), and his wife Rebecca Grossman, the GBF is headquartered in Los Angeles County and works to provide burn prevention education and self-sustainable burn treatment communities in the United States and around the world.

Grossman Burn Foundation In The Community

Quote:
The Grossman Burn Foundation engages local communities through public education and burn prevention outreach. These programs focus on burn prevention awareness and related activities, and they seek to build partnerships with local agencies working in public safety, education, and healthcare sectors.

We believe in strength in numbers and through our “Don’t Get Burned” Campaign, we hope to partner with multiple corporations that provide products that can potentially inflict a burn injury by providing tools to educate the public and prevent burn injuries while limiting liabilities. Product packaging will feature QR Codes connecting individuals to our www.burnsafety.com website.

The Grossman Burn Foundation’s patient support services and assistance programs provide a continuum of care and support for burn victims and their families while they are undergoing treatment at any of the Grossman Burn Centers in California, and Missouri.

Through these programs, patients who meet specific requirements, and who are in need of emergency and/or on-going assistance may receive a variety of support services, including:

Temporary housing
Food
Clothing
Transportation
Counseling
Peer support
Other basic needs

Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
It may be an unfair generalization, but I think many “socialites” or prominent social types drink. A lot. Some of these affairs last for a while and even though they ostensibly want to be there, booze is needed to make the event fun and provide some social lubrication. But okay, let’s say her blood alcohol was within legal limits. Why should a toxicology report not be back yet? After all, not that much alcohol to measure!

And she may not have “just” been speeding. She may have been racing! Supposedly it is quite the thing these days, but I thought more among young men of less means than a rich middle aged woman. And there is a difference between routine speeding and racing. They share the commonality of excess speed, but the racing gets the adrenaline going and the competition compels people to take more risks and notice less, just concentrating on being the winner.

And if she wasn’t drunk, then she is even more of a horrible person for hitting and running.

Last edited by jazzcat22; 01-01-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
It may be an unfair generalization, but I think many “socialites” or prominent social types drink. A lot. Some of these affairs last for a while and even though they ostensibly want to be there, booze is needed to make the event fun and provide some social lubrication. But okay, let’s say her blood alcohol was within legal limits. Why should a toxicology report not be back yet? After all, not that much alcohol to measure!

And she may not have “just” been speeding. She may have been racing! Supposedly it is quite the thing these days, but I thought more among young men of less means than a rich middle aged woman. And there is a difference between routine speeding and racing. They share the commonality of excess speed, but the racing gets the adrenaline going and the competition compels people to take more risks and notice less, just concentrating on being the winner.

And if she wasn’t drunk, then she is even more of a horrible person for hitting and running.
At the least, the alcohol level is usually the 1st thing to come back, drugs and medications take longer. Who knows what else she was legally on? This happened in September, it all should have been back, especially since people aren't getting things like blood work done. Heck the FBI could have done it ASAP. About the only thing that would set it back is COVID testing.

That's what the original articles say, she was racing someone. I don't think they found the other car.

Totally agree, she's a horrible person for hitting and running. From what I remember she even has kids herself.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-01-2021 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 10:03 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
Quote:
I think it would be a shame to allow the actions of this woman to reflect on the foundation's work overall.
I agree with you 100% on this. I also went their website and found the same mission statement you posted. The original founder did a lot of good work to help those in need due to burns. You shouldn't just lump the foundation as a whole with the bad decisions of one.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:49 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:

I have no idea who wrote that, but that is the way it's written on their Form 990 for 2018, which shows the exact same data reported on Charity Navigator, including the miss-spellings. Maybe the IRS needs to investigate these people. The whole thing looks like a complete scam.

GROSSMAN BURN FOUNDATION - Form 990 for period ending Dec 2018 - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica

Old 01-01-2021, 10:06 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Just go to the foundation's own website and read the mission statement:

"The Grossman Burn Foundation’s mission is to promote effective, sustainable partnership solutions for the comprehensive treatment, care, and support of burn survivors and their families in the United States and around the world. GBF’s focus is on building in-country and local-level capacity through its global partnerships. Established in 2007, the GBF was created as the philanthropic arm of the Grossman Burn Centers, a pioneer in international burn treatment facilities. Founded by Dr. Peter H. Grossman (Director of the Grossman Burn Centers, Inc.), and his wife Rebecca Grossman, the GBF is headquartered in Los Angeles County and works to provide burn prevention education and self-sustainable burn treatment communities in the United States and around the world."

https://www.grossmanburncenter.com/g...n-foundation-1

The charity navigator site doesn't seem very comprehensive in any case. They only graded the financial aspects of the foundation and every other category says something like "not evaluated"

Reading stories about them, they have operated on thousands and thousands of burn victims as well as helped with emotional recovery, and in fact LA firefighters made the founder the first physician ever to be named an honorary fire chief.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-...414-story.html

Take a look at this little girl from Afghanistan and the remarkable job they did with her reconstructive surgery (12 altogether), at no cost to her family: https://www.grossmanburnfoundation.org/zubaida/. Picture about halfway down. It's truly remarkable.

She is 50% of the organization. Her husband is the other 50%. It should reflect on the foundation. Charity Navigator is the #1 most respected site for looking up information on charities. The fact is that she has already spend way more money trying to get out of jail for killing two kids, then that foundation has ever spent helping kids. These are horrible people.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
She is 50% of the organization. Her husband is the other 50%. It should reflect on the foundation. Charity Navigator is the #1 most respected site for looking up information on charities. The fact is that she has already spend way more money trying to get out of jail for killing two kids, then that foundation has ever spent helping kids. These are horrible people.
You really need to back up that last paragraph with facts. Because it is not true. They have helped thousands of people who could not live normal lives because they could not walk out in public without people recoiling in horror. Did you even see the picture of that girl from Afghanistan? The doctors there told her father to let her die. It was the state department that was able to arrange to get her to the Grossman Burn foundation center. The before and after pictures are absolutely remarkable.They are renowned for the work they do. Do you think her father gives a crap about misspellings on the website or some mismanaged funds?

It’s not just kids they help. Countless fire fighters in California and elsewhere with life altering disfigurement. The Los Angeles fire department made the founder the first physician to be named an honorary fire chief because of the work they have done.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-02-2021 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events