Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
aeh aeh started this thread

318 posts, read 1,621,694 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We are moving back to the Dallas area after living away for several years. My husband will be traveling frequently, which I know the airport is close to Southlake, but he also doesn't mind traveling from HP to the airport either. I have never been to Southlake and I am wondering what insight anyone can give me as to what each location offers. I guess I am concerned about Southlake being "far out" from what was my normal roaming zone of North Dallas, etc. but the Southlake Town Square from the internet looks really cute with the shops on the sidewalk and as if it has that small town feel and charm, which I really like. Any info that anyone could provide as a compare and contrast would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
biggest difference is that it's newer and yes futher out. I love Highland Park and University park area, it's very pretty with old growth trees etc...

Southlake has Town Center it's an outdoor mall, not quaint, but very nice and it is a gathering place esp on weekend nights. But you have loads of strip type malls near by and Home depot and Lowes right down from Town Center. To me 1709 is not a pretty road to drive down. (not quaint)

You will get airplane noise in southlake. outside, not too much inside the house, but summer afternoons at the pool might not be too realxing.
Southlake will give you more "breathing room" if that what you wish. some of the neighborhoods are nice and spacious (1+ acre lots) but some are pretty packed in.
Housing is cheaper in Southlake so you could get a newer bigger house with more land.

Personally for me if I had the funds I'd choose HP. esp if the job is in Dallas.

IMO....HP is "old money" and Southlake is "new money" whether or not that is the actual case, it just feels that way. The old time residents of southlake are the country horse famers.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Highland Park or University Park. Its a no brainer. If you want to be around people who aren't nosey and are secure in who they are, its a much better place. Its more than just about the location, its also a drastic community personality difference. If you can afford Park Cities, I wouldn't even think about Southlake. You may get more land in Southlake, but your breathing space will be smaller, if you catch my drift.

On another note, Texas is getting harder and harder to find in Texas. The closer to the core, the older the neighborhoods, the more Texas you will find. And if you can afford the best neighborhoods, you will find that old ease most Texans have.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 46,638 times
I totally agree, Southlake is very nice but new money is what I think as well, With that being said new is not always a bad thing, You have alot of new stores, unique, wonderful shopping and more than Highland Park, They are really trying to make it a new Highland Park and if your younger say in your 30s, You may like it better because alot of people are new there as well.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
HP and UP are a stones throw from just about anything you can think of, wonderful parks and trails, highways, top tier retail. The Park Cities have a lot of older homes, and mature trees giving it feel similar to New England.

Love Field Airport isn't too far from the HP, so thats another option when traveling.

Don't get me wrong Southlake is a nice place, but IMO its more on par with Plano, maybe a notch above. HP is more on par with Beverly Hills.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Well, if your roaming zone is north Dallas, the commute from Southlake would get old fast. I think the Park Cities are much more centrally located if you wanted to attend shows, sporting events.

From a housing point, you will get more in Southlake, homes are newer, which translates to less maintenance, larger lots. Homes are appreciating equally in both cities. Schools are comparable too.

Shopping in Southlake is fun but you can always go there. In the Park Cities, you will have more choices between Northpark mall, The Galleria, West Village, Willow Bend, Collin Creek (although I don't think it's doing so well).

I guess you'll have to visit and go through both and see which ones feels more like you. You'll be surprised at the changes around here.

Naima

Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
check out the fort worth board since southlake is in Tarrant co--more local posters on that board

Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM

21 posts, read 71,668 times
Old money or new money? Both are big money, especially highland park.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:38 PM

126 posts, read 408,737 times
I'd def. go HP in a heartbeat over Southlake. It is in the center of everything, yet offers a somewhat sense of seclusion. In Southlake everything looks the same and is cookie-cutter.

btw, Southlake Town Square cannot hold a light to Highland Park Village.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh1 View Post
I'd def. go HP in a heartbeat over Southlake. It is in the center of everything, yet offers a somewhat sense of seclusion. In Southlake everything looks the same and is cookie-cutter.

btw, Southlake Town Square cannot hold a light to Highland Park Village.
I believe Highland Park Village has some sort of historical recognition which is very rare for a shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas