Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times

Advertisements

Well, our street just had it's first accident... My street is on an incline, of 25-30 degrees or so. Some moron at the top of the hill decided to go out, 2wd minivan, and once they turned around and started down the street, ended up sliding into a parked car in front of one of the neighbors houses. Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 02:07 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,945 times
What an absolutely wonderful day!

Bitter cold
Heavy gray skies
Thick layer of ice and sleet everywhere
Practically no one outside
Dangerous roads with multiple weather related traffic accidents and injuries
Widespread and long-lasting power outages
People having to stay with friends, relatives or motels/hotels
Multiple reports of frozen pipes
Multiple reports of injuries from falls
Expensive damage to trees and property
Commerce/business brought to a complete standstill
Practically zero productivity

How could any sane person not want this every single day of the year?

Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Looks like 2011 Super-Bowl weather has returned to North Texas ? Is this Ice Storm as bad as that one
that hit back then ?
Super Bowl week had more snow as well as ice. We got at least a half foot of snow that week.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Was it kenshi? Was the guy riding a moped and look creepy?
Nope, driving a truck.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Salt is very harmful to the environment and human health plus it corrodes reinforced concrete pavement, which most of the Dallas pavements are. I don't know about the East Coast but many Western States (CA, NV, CO, WA) have stopped salting roads years ago and now just use sand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Some areas got more then 3" of sleet on top of the freezing rain. THAT is not thin ice.

The salt is not good for the environment. The chemical de-icer doesn't work when the freezing rain washes it away.

Ice storms are different creatures than snow storms.

Thankful that I have electricity and food. The rest is just an inconvenience.

Temps in the teens isn't cold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Salt is terrible for vehicles too. Plus, all that white salt on vehicles makes it look like you live in some God-forsaken place like Chicago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
First of all, salt causes corrosion on bridges and cars. If TxDot decided to salt the roads, the metal in the bridges would corrode and it would be too expensive to fix them. Texas has the most freeway miles in the USA, we can't afford to have them in horrible conditions. That's why cities that use salt have deteriorating bridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Pictures of corroded bridges

Right like a one time salting of the roads will cause that much corrosion to roads and cars. Harmful to the environment? What about endangering people? Everytime this happens I get massive numbers of patients who are injured from this type of winter weather.

To get that level of corrosion, you looking at numerous saltings per season. Not going to happen just once a season. And salt proved very useful in our complex... Sidewalks with salt are clean as a whistle.

And 3 inches is easily covered by salting and resalting. And anyone who has lived in snowy cities know that it isn't the total accumulation which overwhelms salt... It's the rate. The rate at which we got 2-3 inches was paltry and pathetic.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
If you don't like how the cities manage the ice, then either run for your city council or county commissioner or MOVE to where you think they manage it better. Your choice.

Me? I'm OK.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,945 times
Quote:
If you don't like how the cities manage the ice, then either run for your city council or county commissioner or MOVE to where you think they manage it better. Your choice.

Me? I'm OK.
You go girl!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
I've lived in West Arapaho Height between Waterview and Mimosa about 18 months. This is the first time I've lost power. I was without power for a total of 7.5 hours since Thursday night, most of that between midnight and 6 AM Friday morning.
You were lucky. Thousands of customers in 75080 and 75248 are still out. 75081 is sitting pretty and has been since Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Try that in hilly McKinney, and it will be a different story.
*shrug* If it was hilly here it would be, but it's not. We were fine yesterday and today.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,237 times
Quote:

Me? I'm OK.
Perfect. I like the way you think. One thing I don't like about Dallas and I get to move out of here!

So we don't get to complain - we'll just take it up the behind?

Last edited by pinipig523; 12-07-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,543 times
Anyone have a death toll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas