Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 AM

88 posts, read 144,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Gonna have to disagree with this. I know several well-to-do black families in PH that have mentioned the looks they get while being out or in the neighborhood.

Hell, I remember when my parents (both AA) were very close to buying in Highland Park and the surrounding neighbors were ready to disown the seller and post negative reviews about the realtor if they sold to a minority family.

Even as a young (21-24) African-American male making a little over 6 figures, I still sense the "antsy" feeling that the other poster mentioned when I'm in certain areas. Whether it's to visit co-workers for dinner in HP or to shop, it's generally true. It's just something a lot of people don't like to admit about Dallas.
This is irrelevant to this thread. Take your racial diatribe elsewhere. We are discussing schools. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:59 AM

385 posts, read 489,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
This is irrelevant to this thread. Take your racial diatribe elsewhere. We are discussing schools. Thanks.
Wrong. I'm responding to what another poster said regarding some people feeling antsy. It's clear you aren't concerned with diversity anyway. I see no problem with responding to a comment.

Like others have said, if your priority is schools, buy in HP if your budget permits. I saw a condo listed for $425k but you were for a 3 bedroom rancher for $350. Maybe you can stretch your budget a bit if you want the absolute best? I still think Richardson would be a good choice in your price range.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Wrong. I'm responding to what another poster said regarding some people feeling antsy. It's clear you aren't concerned with diversity anyway. I see no problem with responding to a comment.

Like others have said, if your priority is schools, buy in HP if your budget permits. I saw a condo listed for $425k but you were for a 3 bedroom rancher for $350. Maybe you can stretch your budget a bit if you want the absolute best? I still think Richardson would be a good choice in your price range.
No, I'm not particularly concerned with diversity. I'm more concerned with quality schools and neighborhoods, why do you say that like its some kind of slight or scoff towards me. I have lived in diverse neighborhoods like where I grew up in Manhattan with people from every country in Europe (including my own parents), and now I live in a 95% white neighborhood that's majority Italian American. Both are nice. Unlike lots of these posters here, I'm not so obsessed with race that I have to go into some social justice warrior soap box speech when talking about unrelated topics.

You were replying to another one of the trolling comments that was an attempt to derail my thread. I couldn't give crap in hell if some insecure person felt antsy because "the mean white people were staring at him" my advice is to get a grip and stop being your own worst enemy. The only color that matters is green.

This thread is about schools, not antsy and racially obsessed insecure people complaining about sticking out in a neighborhood. When I drive through Spanish Harlem I stick out too, I deal with it or avoid the area. So thanks for the advice about Richardson. I cannot up my budget. If you would like to further discuss neighborhood quality and schools you're welcome too, if not please make a thread entitled "Whiny and Insecure Racial Musings about Dallas from Social Justice Warriors"

Thanks

Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Quote:
Thanks. It was a townhome on Naples Drive in 75039. Coppell would probably be a better bet for us, simply because of the fact that single homes were in similar prices.
Look also in Valley Ranch, zip 75063, which is the most northern section of Irving (across Hwy 635) from Las Colinas. Houses on the west side of MacArthur are generally zoned to Coppell schools. Valley Ranch has better access than Coppell to traffic. Coppell, however, has a better "home town" vibe. And, if you are willing to put up with more commute times, also check out Grapevine.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Honestly, if you want the best schools, white kids are only going to bring you down anyway. You want a school with east Asians, south Asians and Africans. Those are the high achievers. I don't see white kids as being any different than blacks or Latinos. If you want your kid to compete with the best, stick with the Asians and Africans.

Much data out there says you are generally incorrect such as:

http://media.collegeboard.com/digita...icity-2013.pdf

Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not particularly concerned with diversity. I'm more concerned with quality schools and neighborhoods, why do you say that like its some kind of slight or scoff towards me. I have lived in diverse neighborhoods like where I grew up in Manhattan with people from every country in Europe (including my own parents), and now I live in a 95% white neighborhood that's majority Italian American. Both are nice. Unlike lots of these posters here, I'm not so obsessed with race that I have to go into some social justice warrior soap box speech when talking about unrelated topics.

You were replying to another one of the trolling comments that was an attempt to derail my thread. I couldn't give crap in hell if some insecure person felt antsy because "the mean white people were staring at him" my advice is to get a grip and stop being your own worst enemy. The only color that matters is green.

This thread is about schools, not antsy and racially obsessed insecure people complaining about sticking out in a neighborhood. When I drive through Spanish Harlem I stick out too, I deal with it or avoid the area. So thanks for the advice about Richardson. I cannot up my budget. If you would like to further discuss neighborhood quality and schools you're welcome too, if not please make a thread entitled "Whiny and Insecure Racial Musings about Dallas from Social Justice Warriors"

Thanks
It seems that I've gotten underneath your skin. I don't consider the other comment to be a "trolling" comment. It's quite funny actually that you assume anyone mentioning race is "racially obsessed and insecure".

The "mean white people" thing was completely unnecessary as well. My circle includes people from a variety of different backgrounds. White co-workers, African-American friends, and so on. Why would I go visit friends in HP if I felt uncomfortable? What I posted was simply an observation.

Also, you mentioned that green is the only color that matters. If that is the case, "green" is holding you back from getting what you seem to desire. When I'm ready to buy a house in about 5 years, hopefully that won't be my obstacle. I was looking into purchasing a $325K home with my fiancée and ultimately opted against it. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but at 22 years old it would have worked.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It seems that I've gotten underneath your skin. I don't consider the other comment to be a "trolling" comment. It's quite funny actually that you assume anyone mentioning race is "racially obsessed and insecure".

The "mean white people" thing was completely unnecessary as well. My circle includes people from a variety of different backgrounds. White co-workers, African-American friends, and so on. Why would I go visit friends in HP if I felt uncomfortable? What I posted was simply an observation.

Also, you mentioned that green is the only color that matters. If that is the case, "green" is holding you back from getting what you seem to desire. When I'm ready to buy a house in about 5 years, hopefully that won't be my obstacle. I was looking into purchasing a $325K home with my fiancée and ultimately opted against it. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but at 22 years old it would have worked.
You've gotten under my skin because you ARE trolling. This isn't a thread about race. This is about schools. Answer the question or go away. You're observations are irrelevant.

Yes, the "green" is holding me back from what I desire, so other posters were pointing me in the right direction. That's what this thread is for, to help me find an area..not for you to post your inane observations. You're 22 and you're like this? Were you raised by former Black Panthers? Christ.

Post another thread where you whine about how "waycist" people are. I doubt its anything but the fact fhat you seem absolutely insufferable. Sjw numb nuts.

Thank you everyone else for suggesting areas!!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Look also in Valley Ranch, zip 75063, which is the most northern section of Irving (across Hwy 635) from Las Colinas. Houses on the west side of MacArthur are generally zoned to Coppell schools. Valley Ranch has better access than Coppell to traffic. Coppell, however, has a better "home town" vibe. And, if you are willing to put up with more commute times, also check out Grapevine.
Thank you very much. Coppell looks great. I did notice Grapevine but I didn't known about the commute either. I am still considering the offer I recieved but I definitely want to look more at the area. DFW is great. The whole metroplex has a nice set up. Checked out Houston too but the area just feels so congested and I guess it's the lack of zoning but everything there seems to just be haphazardly thrown together with no rhyme or reason to it. I have heard others say that Houston is an "international" city and Dallas is a "Texan" city. I could live in other international cities but I am drawn to Texas specifically because of what it is historically, politically, culturally.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You've gotten under my skin because you ARE trolling. This isn't a thread about race. This is about schools. Answer the question or go away. You're observations are irrelevant.

Yes, the "green" is holding me back from what I desire, so other posters were pointing me in the right direction. That's what this thread is for, to help me find an area..not for you to post your inane observations. You're 22 and you're like this? Were you raised by former Black Panthers? Christ.

Post another thread where you whine about how "waycist" people are. I doubt its anything but the fact fhat you seem absolutely insufferable. Sjw numb nuts.

Thank you everyone else for suggesting areas!!
Nope, I was raised by two well-educated African-American parents that worked as hard as everyone else to be able to afford the Park Cities. The "exception", statistically speaking. I was raised by parents who stressed the importance of education, which helped get me into the situation I'm in now to be able to make $100K+ at 22.

I'm not whining about how "racist" people are, but thanks for the insults. I'm sure you're at least a few years older than me yet your immaturity is showing. I can post my observations, in response to another user's post. Demographics and school performance go hand in hand. I posted my observation regarding some affluent areas. I am in no way saying the residents of these places are "racist" at all. If that was the case then my parents wouldn't have looked in these areas at all. Like I said, demographics and school performance are a hot topic on these forums and it definitely relates to what you posted, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned race at all.

Most posters on this forum are able to comment on their observations, opinions and suggestions as they please as long as it relates to what another user has posted.

Again, enjoy your house search. Despite what is shown statistically, there are minority families who stress the importance of education just like you do, that are looking to buy in the SAME areas that you can afford. The areas you can afford are going to have minorities. You know, the families that have the same values that you do?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 PM

25 posts, read 41,201 times
Quote:
Gonna have to disagree with this. I know several well-to-do black families in PH that have mentioned the looks they get while being out or in the neighborhood.

Hell, I remember when my parents (both AA) were very close to buying in Highland Park and the surrounding neighbors were ready to disown the seller and post negative reviews about the realtor if they sold to a minority family.

Even as a young (21-24) African-American male making a little over 6 figures, I still sense the "antsy" feeling that the other poster mentioned when I'm in certain areas. Whether it's to visit co-workers for dinner in HP or to shop, it's generally true. It's just something a lot of people don't like to admit about Dallas.

Questionable anecdote. Would like some documentation on the beat-to-death canard you're using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas