Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
Yes, I understand the fact but my question is why. Many here seem to say that the why is because of race or class. My theory/argument is that, while there might be a correlation, these kids aren't doing worse academically because they are poor or minority. They are doing worse for other reasons. Seems odd that I've seen so many disadvantaged students of color do well when they have access to good teachers and a good curriculum. That's what makes me think that it's not related to color or class. That's all I'm saying.
I don't think anyone has argued that there is something inherent in being a person of color or in being poor that makes one perform badly academically. There probably a lot of factors in play, but I can think of a few:

1. Really smart people tend to make a lot of money, and they tend to give birth to really smart kids. Therefore, it is no surprise that family income is strongly correlated with academic performance, even if we ignore factors like family resources available for tutoring and the like.

2. Coming from a family with a lot of college graduates raises one's expectations. It is easy to imagine that a kid from a bad part of town might grow up thinking college is unreachable, even if he's smart enough to get there.

3. College costs money, so people with money are more likely to go.

I think most discussion on this board centers around district performance as a whole, and when looking at large populations like that, differences in demographics certainly do tend to correlate with differences in performance. However, I've mentioned multiple times on this forum before that those "performance differences" often say more about the students attending the school than they do the education quality at the school.

Great teachers and great curriculum make any kid likely to do better, but the golden nugget in education is figuring out a way to effectively measure these things without having the results tainted by factors that are already determined before the students steps in the classroom. That has proven to be a difficult task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Asians are always used as the example of a model minority, yet when it's suggested that they are ahead of white kids in any way, people get offended and push them to the back of the line. If I said that blacks and Latinos should act like Asians...no problem. If I say that whites should act like Asians...you have a problem. Figures.
First, that's not what you said, and that's not what I said. However, now that you are saying it, of course, I have a problem with it. It's an extremely racist thing to say.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM

7 posts, read 7,674 times
Asians are the real underprivileged minority. We get no lift and being Asian is a big disadvantage for college admission, financial aid and merit scholarships. Asian kids have to perform several times higher to get in anywhere while their AA or Hispanic counterparts not only get in with lower GPA and SAT but they get paid to attend.

We went through BS/MD admissions in 2013 and found out that being black or Hispanic has so many advantages that they take for granted. Being an Asian is a liability for a good student.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
I have 3 high school girls and live in a high rise in Downtown Dallas. My daughters go to school smack in the middle of Deep Ellum which is an Uplift Education Charter School. Super high performing and it is a corporation so it's run like a business. Not like an ISD and is accountable to their stakeholders - the parents and students. There are SEVERAL charter schools and they all go into low income zip codes but are high performing schools.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM

19,801 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCharm View Post
Asians are the real underprivileged minority. We get no lift and being Asian is a big disadvantage for college admission, financial aid and merit scholarships. Asian kids have to perform several times higher to get in anywhere while their AA or Hispanic counterparts not only get in with lower GPA and SAT but they get paid to attend.

We went through BS/MD admissions in 2013 and found out that being black or Hispanic has so many advantages that they take for granted. Being an Asian is a liability for a good student.

I'm a white guy. My boy is an MS-3 at UTSW.

- My son's college metrics were very strong....4.00 GPA, 40+ MCAT, lots of verifiable leadership time/roles, lots of verifiable volunteer hours etc. Along with being accepted into Harvard Med., Baylor Med. and some others he was wait-listed at UTSW.

- At the same time a Latino kid my son knew from undergrad who had lower grades, a much lower MCAT score etc. was admitted to UTSW at 12:01 AM the day schools could notify applicants - this kid ended up at UTSA instead.

- At the same time one of my son's white friends, Vanderbilt undergrad + Vanderbilt masters in biology, with great grades - maybe a 3.8 GPA, strong MCAT (34/35?) couldn't get an interview at any Texas medical school. This kid finally got accepted into medical school to begin this fall - that's two years of waiting tables etc. while less qualified kid were accepted into medial schools all around the country.

Asian kids have it worse IMO.

I'm relatively sure most people don't understand how screwed up this is. We are admitting less qualified students into MEDICAL SCHOOLS all around the country, while more qualified students do other things.

If anyone needs some hard numbers..............

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...ethnicity.html

Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm a white guy. My boy is an MS-3 at UTSW.

- My son's college metrics were very strong....4.00 GPA, 40+ MCAT, lots of verifiable leadership time/roles, lots of verifiable volunteer hours etc. Along with being accepted into Harvard Med., Baylor Med. and some others he was wait-listed at UTSW.

- At the same time a Latino kid my son knew from undergrad who had lower grades, a much lower MCAT score etc. was admitted to UTSW at 12:01 AM the day schools could notify applicants - this kid ended up at UTSA instead.

- At the same time one of my son's white friends, Vanderbilt undergrad + Vanderbilt masters in biology, with great grades - maybe a 3.8 GPA, strong MCAT (34/35?) couldn't get an interview at any Texas medical school. This kid finally got accepted into medical school to begin this fall - that's two years of waiting tables etc. while less qualified kid were accepted into medial schools all around the country.

Asian kids have it worse IMO.

I'm relatively sure most people don't understand how screwed up this is. We are admitting less qualified students into MEDICAL SCHOOLS all around the country, while more qualified students do other things.

If anyone needs some hard numbers..............

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...ethnicity.html
What does any of this have to do with "Urban inner areas of Dallas with good schools"? Let's stick to the topic

Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCharm View Post

Asians also have to perform better than undeserving whites. Why didn't you mention that?

Asians get pushed over because they're quick to blame AA/Latinos but completely ignore whites. Asians (and African immigrants) are often more qualified and better educated than whites, yet they typically have whites as their managers and supervisors. If you want change, maybe y'all should get out there and fight a little instead of being so happy to settle for 2nd place behind The Man.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,491,187 times
Instead of ISDs you might want to look at charter schools. Still free but some high performing ones and some with unique focus. Places like North Hills Prep, several Harmony Schools, Uplift, etc That might allow you to live in an area with non-cookie cutter homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas