Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Local's tip: because the humidity is so low late afternoon, if you wear a hat and wet it, you get onboard AC that goes where you do. While far to declasse' for the more hoity members of this board, just getting your hair or shirt wet at the end of the day before you go home is PLENTY to take the edge off so long as you're drinking lots of water in general. (Transplants, tea and coffee is NOT a workable substitute in the heat).
The "ole farmer's trick" was the neckerchief. They would wet it and place around the neck and it would serve to cool the whole body. You see, the main artery for your body is there, if you keep that cool, you keep the whole body cool.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:36 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The ridge goes well into the mid Gulf. It could shift north 200 miles and things wouldn't change.
Yes it would. Inverted troughs and "ring of fire," do your homework cBach.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,411,548 times
Quote:
The "ole farmer's trick" was the neckerchief. They would wet it and place around the neck and it would serve to cool the whole body
I don't really agree that works in DFW and you can tell by the lack of 'swamp cooler' ACs that nobody here is adding humidity to cool things off. Sure it works for a few minutes (mostly because the water is cooler than the air), then it's damp and makes you sweat even more.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't really agree that works in DFW and you can tell by the lack of 'swamp cooler' ACs that nobody here is adding humidity to cool things off. Sure it works for a few minutes (mostly because the water is cooler than the air), then it's damp and makes you sweat even more.
Not if you refrigerate or freeze it...

Old 05-31-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Yes it would. Inverted troughs and "ring of fire," do your homework cBach.
Also you're not considering all this dry weather will start drying out the vegetation. That is how droughts start. Drought begets drought, weather 101. This ridge ain't going anywhere...

Old 05-31-2018, 02:22 PM

692 posts, read 856,242 times
Quote:
OD, mid-afternoon, the humidity is usually low enough that this trick works a charm. July/August this is my primary "get cool" for going out to the car for the afternoon commute (not a neckerchief, but he's right, the principle is the same), and it works for me. Ymmv.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,411,548 times
The humidity in DFW is not low. The dew point remains around or above 70F the entire summer. That counts as 'extremely humid' by most measurements. I see that it works for you to walk to the car. Spend any more time outside than that and it'll do nothing. And it only works for your walk because the water temp is below the air temp. As soon as that water heats up it'll just make you feel more uncomfortable.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:35 PM

692 posts, read 856,242 times
If it doesn't work for you, that's fine - I have very good success with it (and yes, clearly use it for more than literally just walking to my car, lol).

Old 05-31-2018, 02:39 PM

6,698 posts, read 9,955,792 times
Quote:
The humidity in DFW is not low. The dew point remains around or above 70F the entire summer. That counts as 'extremely humid' by most measurements. I see that it works for you to walk to the car. Spend any more time outside than that and it'll do nothing. And it only works for your walk because the water temp is below the air temp. As soon as that water heats up it'll just make you feel more uncomfortable.
Exactly! I’m trying to figure out what people are getting this “dry” air from.

The dew point right now is in the 70s and yesterday the dew point was 71 degrees all day. Maybe it’s the wind that may feel dry to certain people...but it’s considered VERY humid right now.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Quote:
On this one you just have it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas