Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 10:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I prefer the low humidity here to the high humidity on the East Coast, being here is a God-send really, but it can be too much. It was for much of 2011 and perhaps a bit of 2012 and 2013 and again this year. Does anyone remember 2002 and 2003? Like one 100-degree day each summer?
Funny how you see it as low and I see it as high. I have the dry Arizona desert to compare to rather than the East Coast.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
I find it odd that people consider Dallas to be “dry”.

Drought conditions (which we are currently in) do make the humdity much lower because there’s not much soil mosture. But in non-drought conditions, Dallas isn’t dry. If we had adequate rainfall leading up to summer, the humdity would be much higher. Last year was a prime example of that. We got a lot of rainfall and it was super humid.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 AM

989 posts, read 2,442,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post

Drought conditions (which we are currently in) do make the humdity much lower because there’s not much soil mosture. But in non-drought conditions, Dallas isn’t dry. If we had adequate rainfall leading up to summer, the humdity would be much higher. Last year was a prime example of that. We got a lot of rainfall and it was super humid.
I knew I wasn't crazy when I was complaining about the heat last summer and everyone told me it was a mild summer....

Old 07-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I knew I wasn't crazy when I was complaining about the heat last summer and everyone told me it was a mild summer....
It was a mild summer in terms of temperature but the humidity was high. We got a lot of rain and wasn’t in severe drought status like we are now. When there’s moisture in the soil, that contributes to the humdity. Last year, we didn’t see a lot of actual 100 degree temps. We seen a lot of days where the humdity made it feel like 108 or 110 (with an actual temp of 98 or 99 degrees).

Old 07-28-2018, 08:06 AM

989 posts, read 2,442,797 times
Quote:
It was a mild summer in terms of temperature but the humidity was high. We got a lot of rain and wasn’t in severe drought status like we are now. When there’s moisture in the soil, that contributes to the humdity. Last year, we didn’t see a lot of actual 100 degree temps. We seen a lot of days where the humdity made it feel like 108 or 110 (with an actual temp of 98 or 99 degrees).
So my point being, since the humidity was higher, it felt hotter, and I was right to complain about the heat.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
So my point being, since the humidity was higher, it felt hotter, and I was right to complain about the heat.
Technically, yes. LOL

But to me it felt milder as well because I’m use to it being much hotter. It was hot, if you weren’t use to it.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:53 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could think Dallas is dry. It isn't the most humid place in the country, but it isn't dry either, not by a long shot.

If you look at the National average for Humidity and Rain, Dallas is just above average for both. Add in that it is quite a bit higher than the national average on heat, and what you get is a place that is 10-15 degrees warmer than other places with similar humidity.

To compare with places out west, today, Dallas is about 52% humidity right now. That will drop to about 30% ish during the hottest dryest part of the day. Compare that to SLC or Boise (Denver is currently getting rain so not a good comparison there) where The morning humidity for today is upper 20% and lower 30%. This will drop into the low teens when Dallas is just dropping into their morning highs.

I mean yeah, Minneapolis, Nashville, Indianapolis etc are all projected to have higher humidity than Dallas today, but non of them are going to reach 90 degrees either. In fact the twin cities and Indianapolis wont even hit 80.

Plus we are looking at Dallas in the summer when it is the most dry. Once fall rolls around Dallas gets much more humid and muggy which is why those days in the 80s in fall and spring can be kinda rough.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
About 2 decades ago, I moved from Buffalo NY to here. Regarding the heat: You do not have to shovel heat!! To this day, I blame my poor back on shoveling snow. Blizzard of 1977, 4 feet of wet heavy snow outside my front door in a day and a half. I'll take heat over cold and snow anytime. Besides, Phoenix is most always ten to fifteen degrees more than it is here.
Yeah they'll say "but it's a dry heat" but the fact is that it's much hotter in Phoenix.

Even the other day, I was on a call. Austin set the record for the highest temp ever recorded in July which was 110. One of the guys I work with lives in Las Vegas and he said "Oh that's nothing, today's 112 and that's a cooler day."

An extraordinarily hot day in Austin is a "normal" day in Las Vegas. Yes I know it's more humid here, but in Vegas and Phoenix they have to put cushions on handles when you enter restaurants as the handle can actually burn you if it's in the sun. Same for the pool. They put cushions around the metal ladders so it won't burn you. It's a whole 'nother level of heat there.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:13 AM

729 posts, read 533,592 times
^^^ … I agree with everything you said. Furthermore, a "Dry Heat" can often be more dangerous than a humid heat. Since the humidity is so low you never get to feel your own sweat as it evaporates so fast. You dehydrate quickly and never even know it. Ten years ago my company sent me to Phoenix for a week at a job site at the end of July. The fellas at the job site forced me to drink at least 1/2 a cup of water every 10 minutes or so, even when I told them I didn't feel thirsty. Looking back, I am glad they forced me to drink.

Still … as I said, I would take heat over cold and snow and having to shovel it any day.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:47 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yeah they'll say "but it's a dry heat" but the fact is that it's much hotter in Phoenix.

Even the other day, I was on a call. Austin set the record for the highest temp ever recorded in July which was 110. One of the guys I work with lives in Las Vegas and he said "Oh that's nothing, today's 112 and that's a cooler day."

An extraordinarily hot day in Austin is a "normal" day in Las Vegas. Yes I know it's more humid here, but in Vegas and Phoenix they have to put cushions on handles when you enter restaurants as the handle can actually burn you if it's in the sun. Same for the pool. They put cushions around the metal ladders so it won't burn you. It's a whole 'nother level of heat there.
Yes, but the differences is if you are in the shade and it's dry it feels ok, but if it's humid it's still awful. Wearing long sleeves and a hat helps when it's dry. When it is humid it just sticks to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas