Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 AM

145 posts, read 643,885 times

Advertisements

Don't know much about Dallas as we are still in the process of relocating but have lived in Chicago for 12 years, 8 of which have been on the mag-mile downtown. It's freaking cold here about 8 months a year. I mean, technically Fall is about month and 10 days away, and I we just had our first really hot weekend. I think the temp broke 95 but don't quote me on that. The idyllic picture of Chicago Winter posted above, which being completely lovely, completely ignores the fact that when it is that bone chilling cold outside, think -10 to -30 with wind chill, who the f*** wants to go outside? That said, I agree with the poster that said Chicago summers (jun - aug) are phenomenal. Well, this June and July were too cold for me (its 69 outside and the high is only 82 today, in the middle of aug) but at least it wasn't freezing weather, so it was still good.

So much to do in the city and the city is so walkable or public transit friendly, it's not even funny, especially if you are right downtown. This weekend, we will be walking to the North Beach to see the Chicago Air/Water show (completely free). Last weekend, I took my son to the Lincoln Park Zoo, about 10 minutes away by bus, and it was free (ok, disclaimer, we are members but once you pay the annual dues, it is free no matter how many times you go even if you drive as parking is free then as well), right by the lake, with beautiful scenary and animals all around. My wife delivered a beautiful, healthy girl last week and the hospital was 5 minutes away by walking. I believe I will miss this extremely walkable aspect of Chicago during these summer days. In the Winter, lots of people walk, including me, but I'm pretty much cursing non-stop under my breath! HOpe that perspective helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Thanks for your insights, Desibear.

I think many of the people in your part of the continent have the perspective that the summer is the "comfortable" season, and the rest of the year has to be endured. Then, they hear that Texas has hot summers, and they interpret that as "the entire year is unendurable". In reality, the rest of the 8 or 9 month season in the DFW area is anywhere from OK to very pleasant.

Most of the North American continent is having below average temperatures, and Chicago is no exception.

Dallas also has many things to do, many festivals and shows in the city and the suburbs. The Dallas zoo is also just a few minutes away from the Uptown/downtown central core, and the rail station is across the street from the zoo entrance. The Fort Worth zoo... you have to drive.

As to walkability and transit orientation, it's not as good as Chicago, but better than 99% of the metros in the USA. You mentioned access to a hospital. Here in Dallas, the main complexes on Greenville Ave, in Southwestern Medical and Baylor are all transit accessible. People in Dallas dismiss its transit system, unfairly, in my opinion, because they expect every streetcorner of the 600 square miles of the metro to have a rail station. In reality, the rail system in Dallas comprises a city within a city, and within that transit system, you'll find everything you'd want for your life.

In practice, people in Dallas usually drive, as they do in any metro area, if it is at all possible.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Don't worry, searching, Dallas has plenty of things to do, and the rail transit is pretty good, albeit not as extensive as Chicago. In my experience, Dallas people are pretty courteous in public. If they're rude in Chicago, that's a shame.

The DART rail system is opening a new line next month, the Green line, and it will connect the downtown to Dallas' Fair Park, the counterpart here of your Navy Pier. You should attend the State Fair of Texas to check it out. By the end of next year, the Green line will be 25 miles long, and extend from the southeastern portions of Dallas to the northwestern suburb of Carrollton. There will also be a rail extension from Carrollton toward the suburb of Lewisville, and eventually to the city of Denton. In 2011, 2 years from now, still another DART rail line will be in service, the Orange line to the Las Colinas area. It will eventually connect to the DFW International airport. There will be some more suburban lines being built in the next few years as well.

Check out www.dart.org for the current and future rail system.
This is a bit of a stretch...if not more than a bit. Fair Park is almost completely deserted for eleven months of the year, with the exception of the school field trips to the Science Place/Whateverthehellthey'recallingitnow and the Madison kids skipping class and causing trouble.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 AM

28 posts, read 72,759 times

Would like to take credit of this shot but ...Looking for the 'oooh,' 'aaah' and 'aaack!' at the Air & Water Show -- chicagotribune.com no can do... The annual air and watershow venue is always a popular event drawing huge crowds and I do miss! Enjoy the photo...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:20 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
This is a bit of a stretch...if not more than a bit. Fair Park is almost completely deserted for eleven months of the year, with the exception of the school field trips to the Science Place/Whateverthehellthey'recallingitnow and the Madison kids skipping class and causing trouble.
The State Fair people are proceeding with their plans to open the Midway for most of the year, and expand the selection of rides. This will be made possible by the DART expansion to FP and beyond. Its museums are popular attractions, and there are festivals and various other entertainments there as well.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:26 PM

228 posts, read 397,918 times
To azriverfan The Catholic Church has the largest number of members in Dallas. Due mostly from the influx of Mexican Americas in recent years.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The State Fair people are proceeding with their plans to open the Midway for most of the year, and expand the selection of rides. This will be made possible by the DART expansion to FP and beyond. Its museums are popular attractions, and there are festivals and various other entertainments there as well.
But the the Science Place is moving to Victory Park so it will really all be for nothing...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times
For those complaining about the property taxes in Texas/Dallas, come visit NY, and I don't mean just NYC, I mean upstate NY, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, and Rochester.

In those areas, the median household income is approximately $51,000/yr, we also have a state income tax. The median price of single family detached homes is $154,000. Our average property taxes on that $154,000 property... are between $5,000-$6,000 per year. That's for a very modest, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1500-2000 square foot property, built between 1960-1990 (so old and outdated fixtures, lead paint, asbestos, etc), typically on less than .25 acres of land.

Compared to that... Dallas is like heaven.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:35 AM

166 posts, read 376,428 times
I think this is more personal. Different cities fit different people. For someone like me I find Dallas to be a better fit as I am friendly, outgoing, opened minded, but somewhat image conscious (i'm not afraid to admit that). I prefer the warmer climate, better business atmosphere, trendy nightlife and restaurants, great shopping, cheaper cost of living, far better looking and outgoing women, and community of migrates (better opportunities to make new friends unlike the extremely clicky midwest) big D has to offer. Phoenix is not nearly the city Chicago is but I had a far better time living there than I do here in the Chicago midwest region despite me liking Chicago more as a city. For others Chicago is the better fit personally and I fully respect that as we are all different. I feel Chicago is slightly the better city psychically but I feel Dallas was the better fit in all other categories for me personally. A warmer Chicago with more east coast style people would be my dream city but it is what it is. Like I said tho different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by GQpilot3; 07-03-2010 at 02:54 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
I truly hate the cold, but otherwise cannot imagine why anyone would choose Dallas over Chicago. 90% of the DFW metroplex is sterile suburban, strip mall hell - think one huge and unrelenting Schaumburg, IL - miles and miles of tract housing with the occasional big box retail strip mall thrown in. Parts of central Dallas and downtown Fort Worth are pretty cool but PALE in comparison with their equivalent ( and I use that word loosely) Chicago neighborhoods. There is nothing like the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park or Bucktown or Lakeview or Andersonville etc in DFW. The nicer close in suburban type neighborhoods of Dallas- Lakewood, North Oak Cliff, Junius Heights, Oaklawn etc are charming in their way, but feel more like Napierville or Oak Park than anything in Chicago without any of the latter's architectural majesty. The Park Cities in Dallas compare pretty well with Highland Park and Lake Forest on the North Shore. I know both metros pretty well. DFW scores better on cheapness and weather - for me anyway - but in terms of any other cultural amenity Chicago wins huge: MUCH MUCH better restaurants at every price point for every type of cuisine including Mexican (Rick Bayless anyone) BBQ may be the only thing that is a wash, far superior art museums, theater, dance, ballet, music of every kind, universities, retail options etc. The only thing the two places have in common is huge populations and topographical flatness and do you really want to put White Rock lake up against Lake Michigan. Dallas is a perfectly adequate sprawling sunbelt city with pockets of urban interest. Chicago is one of the great cities of the world. It is not a fair comparison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas