Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,737,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
After spending several days crawling around the house, I finally broke down and bought a wheelchair (paid extra to have it delivered) so I can get to the podiatrist on Monday. Please say a prayer that he schedules the surgery ASAP.
You are in my prayers friend.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:58 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,011,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
After spending several days crawling around the house, I finally broke down and bought a wheelchair (paid extra to have it delivered) so I can get to the podiatrist on Monday. Please say a prayer that he schedules the surgery ASAP.
I feel awful! I was in Houston over the weekend, maybe I could have helped you some.

I am so tired from the trip but I am sending prayers your way as fast as I can!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Sure hope all goes well for you tfw!! These flowers are for you!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't think I can take another 8 weeks of physical therapy!!! My poor arms are so soar I can hardly sit upright.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
texasfirewheel - you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
Texasfirewheel, I hope you'll soon be better! I send you lots of thoughts!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,532,415 times
Well, hi everybody and I mean EVERYBODY!
I hope you all have not melted.....the heat can be so draining.....

Sheesh, I read the last few pages.....I take off for awhile and everybody starts falling apart! (We have been back for a few days from Missoula, but I have either been busy trying to catch up around here or just generally too depressed to get on.....didn't even care to get on and look for some freebies...<sigh>.....)

I am the queen of having work done in the mouth, don't even get me started.....we didn't have fluoride when I was a kid...heck, we lived out in the country and had well water.....

Camper, can't remember if I told you, but trying using a regular mouse along with your laptop...buy a wireless one...it really helps.....

TFW, I hope you are doing better......and I wish we were all closer to you so that we could help you out......especially with that wheel chair.....do you have anybody to help get it into your car? Those things are heavy! GET THAT PLACARD! You might not want to use it today, but there are going to be times when you really need it. My husband got permanently injured in the Colorado River getting smashed up against boulders when he was in some rapids and has lymphedema in his legs, especially the left one.....he got one years ago and it really comes in handy at times.

The past few weeks are an exhausting blur for me.....at times, I have trouble remembering how to spell my name. My girl finished summer school with an AA on a Thursday.....she quit her job and she spent the next few days trying to see friends here and there---she came home crying each time....(her whole life has been here)....

On the following Monday, she and her best pal, (who lives with us), flew off to Oahu for 5 days...they had a great time....I spent the whole time gathering stuff and packing for her because she was not going to have a lot of time to do it when she returned before we were to take off again..(trying to help a kid pack for hot, humid Hawaii and then turn around and pack for a place that gets snow and ice was exhausting)...laundry stuff, school supplies, her printer, meds, winter clothes, bedding, you name it....I found stuff in the house, I ran errands...

Anyway, we picked them up at LAX late Saturday night....(going to LAX twice in one week is enough to drive a person insane.....I used to do it all the time and it didn't bother me, but we don't do it much anymore and it's a zoo!)...she got into the car and asked for tylenol for a sore throat. (They checked in with us every day from Oahu and her voice kept getting deeper and deeper, which is a sign she is getting sick but I didn't mention it because I hoped I was wrong). They were hungry, so we stopped and got them IN N Out on the way home.

She went and visited another friend or three on Sunday and then came home to pack the rest of her stuff....by this time she was blowing her nose, too. I went into her bedroom at 4:00 a.m. last Monday to get her up so that we could take off for Missoula only to discover that she had vomited in her trash can a little bit during the night...I thought maybe she had too much cold medicine on an empty stomach. Well, it wasn't as if we had the time to say, 'go back to bed and try to feel better', because we needed to get on the road. (btw: my car looked like Grapes of Wrath and we had to leave several things behind....luckily, we learned that Missoula has Wally, Costco AND Target!) We could not see out the back or side windows at all. If we wanted to change lanes, the person sitting shot gun had to look out to help the driver)....

We stopped outside of Vegas at a famous 50's diner and she ate a tiny bit of French toast..... By the time we were on the other side of Vegas, she was vomiting......and continued to do so until we were almost to Missoula.....(this was with an all night stop in Pocatello)....at least 8 times. She was so ill.....we think she got food poisoning, but we don't know from where.... She was getting dehydrated but would vomit up even the slightest sip of water, part of a popsicle, anything I could get down her, even that red nausea medicine.... Poor kid...... We were almost to Missoula and she started feeling better....she was hungry and ate breakfast at Cracker Barrel that evening and held it down! Even her cold was much better.....I think because she vomited a lot of phlegm up...

We covered 6 states....total trip was about 2,600 miles.....I think she got a bit carsick,too.....she was laying down in the back seat a good part of the time.....

We went through California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Montana..it is a LONG A*S DRIVE....people were so nice along the way...(I will tell you more in another post or else post more on the Montana porch--the Montana people have been so good to me.....it took awhile to be accepted but they are salt-of-the-earth people and are a wonderful lot!!!)...even Wally workers were very kind..... In Missoula, I had FIVE Wally employees (at ONE time), looking for a Rubbermaid stool for me......I could NOT believe it!

The University of Montana is a beautiful campus and they really care for the kids...the school has about 15,000 students, so it's not too huge......we were very impressed and think she made the right decision in going there. It was hard leaving her, (I'm still crying here and there), but she is in a good place...... There are a lot of dorms on the campus......there are two tall ones and she is in one of them....she is on the top floor and you should see the view! So pretty!

Montana is a beautiful state. There are many rivers....many people were fishing or else going down the water in tubes.....I can see why people love it there!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM

I don't want to "quote " that last post, takes to long to load! ha ha.

I got a wireless mouse the same day I got the computer.

Sounds like you need a long bath and some quire time. Welcome home!!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,532,415 times
We were so busy once we got to Missoula......fixing up the dorm room, trying to buy what got left behind, going to orientation, getting lost, etc... One night, my girl and I dropped off my husband at our hotel and we went on to Wally to buy 'some stuff'..... Before the trip, I had bought some shorts without pockets, (I like to put my key in my pocket when I am out running around), and I didn't realize it until it was too late..... We bought all kinds of flavored water, crackers, cheese, yogurt, muffins, school and dorm stuff at Wally and came back with all kinds of heavy bags, which we lugged up to the room....we got out, I locked the car and carried the stuff up to the room....our room was on the 3rd floor, far from the elevator, and the heavy bags were really cutting into my hands, (I'm a pack mule and always try my best to make one trip), but I didn't slow down.....we stopped at our door and I put down the bags to try to find my credit-card-hotel-key, but I am not sure if I used it because my girl knocked on the door and I think my husband answered....I went into the room with some of the bags. My girl took her things in and then went back out into the hall to pick up the rest of the bags that I had dropped....

The next morning, it was time to go to the first orientation and my husband asked, 'where's the key?' (I have one of those electronic keys and only carry one---I always use the clicker to lock the car, therefore the key is never accidentally locked inside the car, so I see no reason to carry a back up).. I looked in my purse.....nope. We started tearing the room apart, including the Wally bags with all the water, etc., in them...nope. I never lose anything and started crying....I was so stressed and exhausted...(remember, before this, I was in CO. buying investment stuff).... He said, 'we need to get going and so we'll go down and call a taxi'.....nobody had turned it in at the hotel desk..we checked the car and it was locked, which meant that the key was not in it....they felt sorry for us and a worker at the hotel took us in a hotel van to the school....(we were about 2 miles from the school or maybe less and we walked back later on.....we needed some exercise anyway). In the afternoon, we tore the room apart again.....and checked the locked car again.....and asked at the desk again....and the maid went through all her trash....nope. My husband tried to find out if there was a Lexus dealer in Missoula....nope. There was a Toyota dealer but they couldn't help us. Through tears bordering on hysteria, I had to call my Lexus dealer in S. California and my main gal who I deal with was on vacation but they gave me a special number that is roadside service, etc., and I called that and explained the situation AGAIN and the guy looked it up and gave me the closest Lexus dealer's number, which was in Spokane. (I don't think Montana has any Lexus dealers). While I was crying on the phone with him and he was explaining to me that they usually require a pic of my license and the registration, (which was locked up in the car), and they don't make the keys, they gather the information and then send out for it, the maid was knocking on the door yet again saying she had looked again and couldn't find it and my husband was going out to the car AGAIN to look around.....and are you ready for this? Somebody had found my key, (I guess in the dark), and put it on my tire! My husband came in with it! I started crying even more, thanking the guy in Spokane and practically hanging up on him, grateful to the honest person who found it.... I have no idea why that person did not turn it in at the desk, but I was so grateful! (On top of having the feeling of being stranded, replacement keys cost a few hundred dollars!) We think it was found in the parking lot during the night....the person probably clicked it and saw my tail lights go on, relocked the car and then put the key on the tire. I told the people at the front desk and the gal said, 'well, that's Missoula for ya!' (When my husband and girl checked out the campus over spring break, they were told that crime is very low.....bikes are stolen and that's about it).

I wish I knew who found my key.......I can not believe the honesty! I am so grateful I am almost crying again!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,323,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
We were so busy once we got to Missoula......fixing up the dorm room, trying to buy what got left behind, going to orientation, getting lost, etc... One night, my girl and I dropped off my husband at our hotel and we went on to Wally to buy 'some stuff'..... Before the trip, I had bought some shorts without pockets, (I like to put my key in my pocket when I am out running around), and I didn't realize it until it was too late..... We bought all kinds of flavored water, crackers, cheese, yogurt, muffins, school and dorm stuff at Wally and came back with all kinds of heavy bags, which we lugged up to the room....we got out, I locked the car and carried the stuff up to the room....our room was on the 3rd floor, far from the elevator, and the heavy bags were really cutting into my hands, (I'm a pack mule and always try my best to make one trip), but I didn't slow down.....we stopped at our door and I put down the bags to try to find my credit-card-hotel-key, but I am not sure if I used it because my girl knocked on the door and I think my husband answered....I went into the room with some of the bags. My girl took her things in and then went back out into the hall to pick up the rest of the bags that I had dropped....

The next morning, it was time to go to the first orientation and my husband asked, 'where's the key?' (I have one of those electronic keys and only carry one---I always use the clicker to lock the car, therefore the key is never accidentally locked inside the car, so I see no reason to carry a back up).. I looked in my purse.....nope. We started tearing the room apart, including the Wally bags with all the water, etc., in them...nope. I never lose anything and started crying....I was so stressed and exhausted...(remember, before this, I was in CO. buying investment stuff).... He said, 'we need to get going and so we'll go down and call a taxi'.....nobody had turned it in at the hotel desk..we checked the car and it was locked, which meant that the key was not in it....they felt sorry for us and a worker at the hotel took us in a hotel van to the school....(we were about 2 miles from the school or maybe less and we walked back later on.....we needed some exercise anyway). In the afternoon, we tore the room apart again.....and checked the locked car again.....and asked at the desk again....and the maid went through all her trash....nope. My husband tried to find out if there was a Lexus dealer in Missoula....nope. There was a Toyota dealer but they couldn't help us. Through tears bordering on hysteria, I had to call my Lexus dealer in S. California and my main gal who I deal with was on vacation but they gave me a special number that is roadside service, etc., and I called that and explained the situation AGAIN and the guy looked it up and gave me the closest Lexus dealer's number, which was in Spokane. (I don't think Montana has any Lexus dealers). While I was crying on the phone with him and he was explaining to me that they usually require a pic of my license and the registration, (which was locked up in the car), and they don't make the keys, they gather the information and then send out for it, the maid was knocking on the door yet again saying she had looked again and couldn't find it and my husband was going out to the car AGAIN to look around.....and are you ready for this? Somebody had found my key, (I guess in the dark), and put it on my tire! My husband came in with it! I started crying even more, thanking the guy in Spokane and practically hanging up on him, grateful to the honest person who found it.... I have no idea why that person did not turn it in at the desk, but I was so grateful! (On top of having the feeling of being stranded, replacement keys cost a few hundred dollars!) We think it was found in the parking lot during the night....the person probably clicked it and saw my tail lights go on, relocked the car and then put the key on the tire. I told the people at the front desk and the gal said, 'well, that's Missoula for ya!' (When my husband and girl checked out the campus over spring break, they were told that crime is very low.....bikes are stolen and that's about it).

I wish I knew who found my key.......I can not believe the honesty! I am so grateful I am almost crying again!
Oh Wurzig I can really sympathize-it seems like yesterday bringing our DD to college. It was totally agonizing!
Well at least DD is totally happy now back to Va and living in her own apt (who's paying the rent-but she does pay for everything else

Camper is right you are the Energizer Bunny-I need some of your energy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff