Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

DH and I are here a year and never looked back on our decision to relocate to Delaware. We love the
area, and we are used to traffic being from Long Island so the traffic is essentially no change for us, but it may bother others.

There are two things off the top of my head that Rehoboth could use. Market researchers might want to note this.

There are NO stores to purchase curtains or drapes here, other than Kmart, Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot. I was stunned when I asked where do folks buy them and the response was the above. A Country Curtain would be a gold mine here!!!!

Dog Boarding. There are a couple of places here but given the number of dogs we could definitely use a couple more. There are doggie day care places in a larger number than boarding. Savannah Animal Hospital will board, but if your dogs are not patients they require a full exam by their staff in addition to the boarding.

Again, these are just things that I would like to see and don't really understand why they are lacking, given the number of homes that might need curtains and the number of dogs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
DH and I are here a year and never looked back on our decision to relocate to Delaware. We love the
area, and we are used to traffic being from Long Island so the traffic is essentially no change for us, but it may bother others.

There are two things off the top of my head that Rehoboth could use. Market researchers might want to note this.

There are NO stores to purchase curtains or drapes here, other than Kmart, Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot. I was stunned when I asked where do folks buy them and the response was the above. A Country Curtain would be a gold mine here!!!!

Dog Boarding. There are a couple of places here but given the number of dogs we could definitely use a couple more. There are doggie day care places in a larger number than boarding. Savannah Animal Hospital will board, but if your dogs are not patients they require a full exam by their staff in addition to the boarding.

Again, these are just things that I would like to see and don't really understand why they are lacking, given the number of homes that might need curtains and the number of dogs here.
There is a business in Lewes that offers Pet Sitting a few hours to over night.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Amenities Rehoboth Area needs

Needs?

There's always something people think they need. Curtains/draperies, as said, are purchased locally or on-line. Not sure why a big store selling just window treatments is something Rehoboth really "needs".

Dog boarding ? I don't understand that one, either. We have places to board dogs. I'd say, just plan ahead if there's a problem.

For so many years (my entire life) I've heard from people moving here that, Delaware is just great!
It's just that we NEED this, and this, and this, and this. I realize, though, that the "wants" will never stop, because people compare Delaware to where they once lived, where I guess, there was much more available of everything.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We live in beach town similar to Lewes, and we do most of our shopping online. Country Curtains has a great mail-order service, so I am not sure a store would be profitable enough for them.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM

RDLR, correct you are, maybe it should have said "wishes" instead of needs. I had more stores in NY than I ever needed and shopping is not something I am really into. A few friends were surprised when we moved here, as how could we possibly exist with just outlets!!!! Quite nicely for us thanks.

I agree with some of the above comments. Personally I do a lot of shopping online but certain things I simply can't do without being able to actually see it and touch it. In my case I wound up having sheer drapes made, after driving back and forth to Dover with panels I thought might work, proved futile once I had the actual sample in my house. There are so many new developments springing up and while curtains are not everyone's cup of tea for window treatments, many of the people in my own community agreed that there was not another option other than what I mentioned above and they too were surprised. In the Tanger outlets in NY, there is a West Elm outlet, and they have curtains. I was in every outlet I thought might have curtains and they all only offered shower curtains. The owner of the Linen outlet on Coastal Highway said he wished he had a nickel for everyone that asked if he carried curtains.

Again with the population growing here, I am surprised that there are so few dog boarding places here. There are some but given the dog population here I think they could use more. I have boarded my dog twice in a local kennel and both times he came home hoarse, not sick, just hoarse and barked like he had swallowed helium. I don't blame the kennel, but this has never happened anywhere else we have boarded him. Maybe the setup of this place didn't suit him, maybe the other dogs in the kennel were more vocal and he responded to that. We called another place after that but they were only taking their regulars and even suggested that we drive away from the beach for more options.

I knew the kennel situation before we moved so that was not a surprise but I was stunned by the lack of places that sold curtains.

As I said, earlier, I still would not trade it for anywhere else.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
I understand your dilemma, Nuts2u

Try the Country Curtains location in Greenville, DE. It's at the top of the state, but since Delaware is only 96 miles long, and you need those nice curtains....why not take the trip?

Yes, the beach area has had a population explosion, mostly out-of-staters. I am sure you are correct in saying, many really don't understand the lack of curtain selection.

In the upscale homes I've been in at the beach, those wood, or wood look plantation shutters are quite popular and when the house sells, the shutters go with it (good selling point). In addition to that, many people have their window treatments custom made. For me, I've gotten through life here having various curtains, window treatments, and blinds that suit me, purchased anywhere local.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I understand your dilemma, Nuts2u

Try the Country Curtains location in Greenville, DE. It's at the top of the state, but since Delaware is only 96 miles long, and you need those nice curtains....why not take the trip?

Yes, the beach area has had a population explosion, mostly out-of-staters. I am sure you are correct in saying, many really don't understand the lack of curtain selection.

In the upscale homes I've been in at the beach, those wood, or wood look plantation shutters are quite popular and when the house sells, the shutters go with it (good selling point). In addition to that, many people have their window treatments custom made. For me, I've gotten through life here having various curtains, window treatments, and blinds that suit me, purchased anywhere local.

Now if you need yoga pants or sweats, you would be exhausted from the selection available!!!!!. Maybe I will just hang, them on the windows the next time and save myself a lot of time!!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
nut2uiam,

I know what you mean about trying to find draperies. Ordering on line is not easy if you are not sure exactly what shade of a particular color you need. I have to walk into a store with paint and flooring samples to be sure the drapery color is exactly what I want.

You might find what you want at JC Penney's store in Dover, DE. It appears that this would be the closest Penney's that has a custom decorating section. Even if you do end up ordering on line, they usually have good displays that allow you to see the exact color and the quality of the material.

I had the same problem finding draperies in PA - because most stores you have to order on line. They simply do not want to take up valuable floor space so that you can look at the actual material and the actual color.

Mary2014

Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM

27 posts, read 65,428 times
I just moved here last summer and I got draperies and shears from Creative Concepts. They have one in Lewes and Ocean View.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Don't worry...eventually, there will be a store at the beach for every need. The population is increasing and it won't stop anytime soon. Population growth= more stores. When we first moved to OV almost twelve years ago, I was disappointed in the lack of stores and places to eat. There was so much more in Lewes/Rehoboth! Now, I take my disappointment back....so many (useful!) stores and restaurants have come to OV/Bethany with our population boom. We now have a Giant, Harris Teeter, CVS, Capriotti's, Hair Cuttery, AT and T store (my carrier!), Papa Johns, and a great Chinese take-out. I don't have to leave town unless I need a big box store like Lowe's or Wal Mart.

I do wish we had a Target nearby though! So much better (and nowhere near as scary) than Wal Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware