Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times

Advertisements

I-Pie, Broomfield
-make your own personal pizza. Very good. Cinnamon twisty dough thingys very good too. Reasonably priced.

Scrumptious Ice Cream, Arvada
-ice cream is very good, soft and creamy. No sprinkles (). Moderately priced. Doubles as a candy store.

City's Takeout, Arvada
-very simple menu. Sandwiches, burgers, salads, a few breakfast items. Nowhere to sit inside, but picnic tables nearby. Cheap. Very good burger, tastes like something you could make at home.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
El Sol Mexican on Colfax out in Lakewood. Don't bother..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 AM

557 posts, read 811,500 times
Family in town, so we are killing it this weekend.

Rosenbergs Bagels & Delicatessan. Legit. Best everything bagel I've ever had. Interesting menu options. Very tasty.

Mercantile Dining & Provision for lunch. Stellar. Really enjoyed our lunch (short rib sandwiches with a gruyere fondue sauce. Delicious. Tried some truffles after. Service was unique, and a bit disorganized, but the quality of our meal made it easy to overlook.

Cho 77. Been really looking forward to trying this new place. Didn't quite live up to expectations, but we went with just one small plate and bowls of ramen for everyone. Not bad, but want to go back and try the rest of the menu. The small plate dumplings that we tried were very good. Wok meals looked and smelled good.

Sweet Action Ice Cream. Found out about this place after seeing it was rated one of the top 33 ice cream shops in America by thrillist I think it was. Just a couple blocks back up Broadway from Cho77. Loved it. Great and unique ice cream flavors, and some super cool open bar style seating that faces broadway. I went with the honey cornbread ice cream which was delicious.

Trying The Kitchen tonight, and heading to Lucille's Creole cafe shortly for brunch.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:21 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Family in town, so we are killing it this weekend.

Rosenbergs Bagels & Delicatessan. Legit. Best everything bagel I've ever had. Interesting menu options. Very tasty.

Mercantile Dining & Provision for lunch. Stellar. Really enjoyed our lunch (short rib sandwiches with a gruyere fondue sauce. Delicious. Tried some truffles after. Service was unique, and a bit disorganized, but the quality of our meal made it easy to overlook.

Cho 77. Been really looking forward to trying this new place. Didn't quite live up to expectations, but we went with just one small plate and bowls of ramen for everyone. Not bad, but want to go back and try the rest of the menu. The small plate dumplings that we tried were very good. Wok meals looked and smelled good.

Sweet Action Ice Cream. Found out about this place after seeing it was rated one of the top 33 ice cream shops in America by thrillist I think it was. Just a couple blocks back up Broadway from Cho77. Loved it. Great and unique ice cream flavors, and some super cool open bar style seating that faces broadway. I went with the honey cornbread ice cream which was delicious.

Trying The Kitchen tonight, and heading to Lucille's Creole cafe shortly for brunch.
I want to try the Kitchen. I have been to Lucille's in Longmont a couple of times and I didn't relaly enjoy it but I am not a fan of Creole.

I need to get the family out more to try new places. We have been hermits as of late.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I want to try the Kitchen. I have been to Lucille's in Longmont a couple of times and I didn't relaly enjoy it but I am not a fan of Creole.

I need to get the family out more to try new places. We have been hermits as of late.
The Kitchen was good. Didn't really blow me away, especially for the prices, but still good. We tried the halibut, trout, and steak frites after starting with a charcuterie plate. Above average, but there are other places I'd rather go for those prices with better value and uniqueness. Seafood platters were way overpriced IMHO, but maybe that's because I'm originally from the south.

Ended up going to City 'O City instead of Lucille's. Eclectic, trendy place at 13th and Grant. Didn't realize that COC was full vegetarian, lol. None of us are, but, we still managed to find good menu options and enjoyed the food - biscuits and gravy, bacon tempeh hash, and an omelette. BUT, the initial service was completely disorganized. Was told it would be a 30 minute wait. After 45, we inquire, and are told we're next. Saw three more parties get seated after. Said something again, to which their reply was basically "oops" and then another short wait before finally being seated at one of the many open tables. Lot of open tables present during the wait, yet significant waits so they apparently weren't appropriately staffed on a holiday. Read the reviews later, and sure enough service is the main complaint. The food partly made up for our frustrations, but we're 50/50 on going back seeing how poorly run the front of the restaurant was. Good option though for strict vegetarian needs.

Tried Snooze in Five Points this am on the way to the airport (first ones in too right at 630). "Meh" was my reaction. Not bad, but I can't believe people wait in line for two hours for that. Food and service were good, but no way I'd wait for a table for any extended period of time.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM

229 posts, read 423,762 times
Finally got to Justin Cucci's (Root Down, Linger) new place Ophelia's in downtown off 20 st. Have to say without a doubt this is the best new concept in Denver. It's basically a live music venue (in an old brownstone peepshow building nonetheless) with an entire restaurant overlooking the stage. Food was prompt, and delish....mostly tapas. Service was wonderful too. Tip on this place: If you are reserving a table for 2, ask for one overlooking the stage otherwise you'll be a bit far back. The 4 tops are great too, but the view of the stage isn't as good. The live acts are only on Thurs through Saturday at the moment you can check the website for the dates and who is playing.

You can pay just to go in and see the show down below with a separate entrance, or if you eat at the restaurant you automatically get the show for free.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
Finally got to Justin Cucci's (Root Down, Linger) new place Ophelia's in downtown off 20 st. Have to say without a doubt this is the best new concept in Denver. It's basically a live music venue (in an old brownstone peepshow building nonetheless) with an entire restaurant overlooking the stage. Food was prompt, and delish....mostly tapas. Service was wonderful too. Tip on this place: If you are reserving a table for 2, ask for one overlooking the stage otherwise you'll be a bit far back. The 4 tops are great too, but the view of the stage isn't as good. The live acts are only on Thurs through Saturday at the moment you can check the website for the dates and who is playing.

You can pay just to go in and see the show down below with a separate entrance, or if you eat at the restaurant you automatically get the show for free.
Awesome. Next night out will have to hit it up.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post

Tried Snooze in Five Points this am on the way to the airport (first ones in too right at 630). "Meh" was my reaction. Not bad, but I can't believe people wait in line for two hours for that. Food and service were good, but no way I'd wait for a table for any extended period of time.
Ditto. It's breakfast. Yes, it's above average, but I don't wait for breakfast places. Actually, if our 7 and 4 year old kids are with us, we don't wait anywhere for any amount of time.

Went to Lucile's (in Boulder) a couple of weeks ago for the first time and liked it. But, the food is very heavy. Probably shouldn't have done it literally right before a 3 hour hike. I kept umm "enjoying" it for hours afterwards.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Ditto. It's breakfast. Yes, it's above average, but I don't wait for breakfast places. Actually, if our 7 and 4 year old kids are with us, we don't wait anywhere for any amount of time.

Went to Lucile's (in Boulder) a couple of weeks ago for the first time and liked it. But, the food is very heavy. Probably shouldn't have done it literally right before a 3 hour hike. I kept umm "enjoying" it for hours afterwards.
Yup. I don't get the hype, but to each their own.

I've been wanting to try Lucille's to see if it stacks up to the cajun food I came to know and love while living in the south. But you're right, not the best pre-hike meal! We'll be trying the one on Logan in Denver whenever we finally check it out.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:07 PM

Beast + bottle in Uptown over the weekend. Very good. We had a group of 4, and they do a $65 four course meal, so we just about sampled the entire menu. Don't think there was anything disliked. Fois gras was well liked, as were the pork and bass entrees. Crazy good pretzel themed dessert with strawberries and creme fraiche. Nice ambience and patio as well. "Fancy" menu, but many if not most patrons were casually dressed. Cool spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver