Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
esc esc started this thread

13 posts, read 54,138 times

Advertisements

I think its easy for me to decide that I would like Denver, I work in the aerospace industry, so I think the jobs would be there, I enjoy the outdoors, I'm almost certain I would be ok with the climate. However, it seems to me that what really makes a city is its people. I'm looking for an idea of what the people are like, whether I would fit in. I grew up in small towns in OK, and now live near Dallas, so that is what I have to compare to. To me, Dallas has an abundance of pretentiousness. (I realize that a metro area of 6M people will have all types, but its seems that certain types overshadow, and many others try to fit in.) Does Denver have a laid-back feel to it? Or does it have the spendy, materialistic, busy feel that I see in Dallas? If I go out to a bar, what should I expect (maybe compared to Dallas)? Are there local hangouts other than bars/clubs? Do different parts of the metro area have a drastically different feel to them? (If I moved to Engelwood, Littleton, Centennial, etc rather than Denver, would you answer differently?)

BTW, I am single and 28y/o, so thoughts from the perspective of that demographic would be appreciated. (All others too!)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,222 times
I'm pretty much right in your demographic....

Generally, Colorado is quite laid-back. There is some pretentiousness here and there, but it's better than most cities. The typical Denverite is into outdoorsy activities -- skiing, snowboarding, hiking, cycling, etc. Most bars and restaurants are casual, and people tend to be welcoming and casual.

In my opinion, Denver does not change as much from area to area as some cities. The suburbs tend to be continuous from one to the next, and they developed in an outward pattern over time. As a result, metro Denver feels more cohesive, more as one city, than many metro areas.

I don't know much about Dallas, but from everything I've heard, you'll find less pretense and standoffness in Denver by a long shot.

From what you've said, I think you'd quite enjoy Denver!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the quick reply HockeyFan!

Is our demographic well represented in the Denver area?

Do many young people live in suburbs, or is that mostly people raising a family?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:33 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,339 times
I'll just chime in and add that what HockeyFan said seems right to me. And as HF mentioned I do think that the outdoorsy nature of a lot of the people has quite a bit to do with it. Not that people here are not materialistic, but i just don't think it is as pronounced here as a lot of other places.

As far as the demographics go, i can't help you... i am way too old, too unsingle and too unchildless.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:43 PM

ESC -- I don't live in Denver anymore, but when I lived there, our demographic definitely is well-represented in the area. It is not a place where people feel a need to be married by their mid-20s, so there's many singles. The city has a disproportionate amount of people under 40, in my opinion, as a result of the altitude, which can create health issues in many people (of all ages).

The city itself has a higher percentage of young people, but even in areas like Highlands Ranch and Centennial, you'll find young, single people. Boulder is obviously a college town, and some of the areas around there like Broomfield seem to have more young singles as well.

The city/suburb split is not as evident in Denver as some cities -- suburban lots tend to be smaller, and suburban street layouts are not drastically different from the city. As a result, I think you see less of the city/suburb divide in ages as well.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Generally, Colorado is quite laid-back. There is some pretentiousness here and there, but it's better than most cities. The typical Denverite is into outdoorsy activities -- skiing, snowboarding, hiking, cycling, etc. Most bars and restaurants are casual, and people tend to be welcoming and casual.
There is a "keep up with the Joneses" attitude about outdoor activities, e.g., how many fourteeners have you climbed, etc.

Casual is the word of the day here in manner of dress.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM

I am planning to visit Denver for a few days (probably sometime between Christmas and New Year's). I know LoDo is one nightlife spot. Would I get a good feel for what people are like by going there? Or do they kind of put on a show when they go out as in Dallas? Can anyone make some other recommendations that I should see? Not tourist stuff, but the kind of everyday thing that would give me a taste of life and the people in the Denver area?

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
There is a "keep up with the Joneses" attitude about outdoor activities, e.g., how many fourteeners have you climbed, etc.
Hmm.... Around Dallas, the "keep up with the Joneses" is leasing luxury cars, buying designer clothes, etc. I think often on credit. I think DFW has one of the lowest average credit scores in the country...

Would that attitude about the outdoor activities be out of arrogance/pretentiousness? Or more in a friendly competitive way? I haven't climbed a fourteener, will I be looked down upon by the "average" Denverite? Or would they welcome me along next time they go?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Here's some ideas... definitely go to LoDo and check it out.

Try to go to an Avs or Nuggets game -- sports is huge in Denver and you'll see a great cross-section of society.

Visit the Cherry Creek Mall and Cherry Creek North district. This is Denver's upscale district -- gives you an idea of whether it will feel pretentious or not.

From there, head south on University to the area around the Denver University campus. Another area with a lot of young people.

Go to the mountains -- just to see them. Also, you'll see what Denverites like to do on weekends. If you want a day trip, go up to Silverthorne/Dillon (an hour west on I-70). Stop at Beau Jo's for some great pizza in Idaho Springs -- or Tommyknocker's if microbrewerys (with food) are more your style.

Head up to Boulder -- a vibrant college town that most love or hate, there's no in between. Pearl Street is especially interesting.

Check out some suburban areas -- Broomfield, Highlands Ranch, Louisville, Lafayette for some ideas (all but Highlands Ranch are on the way to Boulder). These are newer, faster-growing areas that might draw more 20 and 30 something singles than more established suburbs.

Check out the Stapleton area, around the old airport (NE Denver)... it's a new urbanist style infill development that might be of great interest as a place to live.

Spend some time in downtown as a whole -- it is a very underrated downtown and is a part of many people's day-to-day life.

And of course, malls and restaurants/bars are always interesting places to check out what the local population is like.

I also recommend picking up the local newspapers -- Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News -- which always gives you an idea of what the city is like. Free papers like Westword are also of interest.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Hmm.... Around Dallas, the "keep up with the Joneses" is leasing luxury cars, buying designer clothes, etc. I think often on credit. I think DFW has one of the lowest average credit scores in the country...

Would that attitude about the outdoor activities be out of arrogance/pretentiousness? Or more in a friendly competitive way? I haven't climbed a fourteener, will I be looked down upon by the "average" Denverite? Or would they welcome me along next time they go?
I have climbed two fourteeners. Both in my car.

Oh, on foot? I walked across downtown once!

You should be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver