Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM

272 posts, read 621,135 times

Advertisements

Don't worry about your friends. Be bold. Be spontaneous.

Join these following websites ahead of time:

MEETin.org - Fun Events Free Events Make new friends in your city.
Use the Internet to get off the Internet! - Meetup.com

There are lots of social activities between both websites. There's something for everyone here in Denver. In fact, I sometimes choose to stay at home because there's too much going on!

You can always visit friends and family. Look at this move as a new journey and an opportunity to experience something new. And, as I'll tell everyone, don't base your decision on the dating scene.

I've lived around North America just on a whim. I'll continue to do so, because it's exciting and liberating to experience something new and unique. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimoore55 View Post
Alright I've pretty much decided to make the big move to Denver. I've only visited two short times and am pretty much doing this on gut instinct (and all the helpful info on this site)! I really don't know anyone in Denver and will be leaving all my friends behind in San Diego. I'm 29/f and love the outdoors and mountains. Denver seems to have everything I would want (good nightlife, cultural events, great outdoor lifestyle, fantastic weather, affordable housing, and other professional singles). Does anyone have any advice for me as I make this big transition knowing no one and working from home? I plan to head out in May/June time frame. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 25,968 times
Default How Ironic

I love that I found this post.

As with many who have posted here I too am looking to make the leap to the Rockie West from St. Louis. Last month I visited some friends who live in Stapleton. Stapleton is a new and growing area with many young families. Much of the growth is centered around a tight-nit community feel. However, it seems to be divided in regards to diversity.

I'm a 34 year old single black male. Last December I started my insurance agency, so I'm a little fearful to move it. But because much of my work is done online it shouldn't be to long until I get everything set up.

Today in St. Louis the heat index was 115 degrees. "F-THAT"!! Im done! When I was in Denver last month we hit downtown on Saturday night with jeans and a long sleeve shirt. IN JULY!!!! The night life in Denver is great.

The people in Denver and the surrounding areas were simply awesome. Very friendly and welcoming. And then there are all the outdoor activities...WOW! If your on the fence about moving to Colorado...one visit to Rocky Mountain National Park or Estes Park and your sold!

So, I'm packing it all up, leaving everything and everyone I know and taking a leap! You only live once right? See in the spring Denver!!!!

Any new transplants making the move in '09....look me up...first drink is on me!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM

351 posts, read 650,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavin View Post
I love that I found this post.

As with many who have posted here I too am looking to make the leap to the Rockie West from St. Louis. Last month I visited some friends who live in Stapleton. Stapleton is a new and growing area with many young families. Much of the growth is centered around a tight-nit community feel. However, it seems to be divided in regards to diversity.

I'm a 34 year old single black male. Last December I started my insurance agency, so I'm a little fearful to move it. But because much of my work is done online it shouldn't be to long until I get everything set up.

Today in St. Louis the heat index was 115 degrees. "F-THAT"!! Im done! When I was in Denver last month we hit downtown on Saturday night with jeans and a long sleeve shirt. IN JULY!!!! The night life in Denver is great.

The people in Denver and the surrounding areas were simply awesome. Very friendly and welcoming. And then there are all the outdoor activities...WOW! If your on the fence about moving to Colorado...one visit to Rocky Mountain National Park or Estes Park and your sold!

So, I'm packing it all up, leaving everything and everyone I know and taking a leap! You only live once right? See in the spring Denver!!!!

Any new transplants making the move in '09....look me up...first drink is on me!
I moved from Denver to St. Louis. It was a great choice.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM

30 posts, read 154,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I've been living in San Diego for about 5 months now, moved here from the Southern U.S. So far I like it pretty well, the weather is awesome, and the beach/sports/bars are all pretty cool too.
I am in San Diego, and I moved to Denver and got homesick after only three months and moved back.
Quote:
My only concern is the job market here, the low wages, and cost of living. I am on assignment here and that assignment is going to end soon and I was wondering how much cheaper it is to live in Denver
Actually, wages are comparable and cost of living is much lower. I lived at Cherry Creek Greens and I think I was paying about $600-$700 a month for a two bedroom two bathroom apartment.
Quote:
Someone mentioned CO is a good place for singles
I heard Denver was #1 in the nation and San Diego is #2.
Quote:
So, final question, which would you prefer - San Diego or Denver?
That would be like asking, "what do you prefer on your ice cream - hot fudge or horseradish?" There is no comparison. It's as cheap as it is for a reason: Not a very pleasant place to live. I do not have pleasant memories of Denver at all. San Diego has:

1) Beaches
2) Sea World
3) Balboa Park
4) Street scene
5) Gaslamp quarter, and of course all the events there
6) Driving distance to Disneyland

In fact if I ever left California to go anywhere, the two things I would miss the most would be the beaches and Disneyland.

I have a bookmarks folder of things to do and see in San Diego, I could export it as an HTML file and email it to you if you'd like. Drop me a PM with your email address.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 PM

24 posts, read 69,779 times
Just got word that I'm moving to Denver sooner than expected. Was supposed to be planned for March, but the economy has takin it's toll and I have been let go. Luckly I have a months notice which gives me time to wrap my head around it.
Born and raised in AZ, but making the move since the rest of my family has moved there one by one. It's exciting and nerve racking leaving the comfort zone of life long friends. But after spending the last 3 years going to my parents for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I've grown accustomed to the winters. I couldn't imagine waking up everyday to the beautiful Rocky Mountains and now it finally happening. So long 115 degree summers.

Never moved out of state so any advice would help with Jobs, environmental change is welcome.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:20 PM

30 posts, read 92,639 times
Lucky you, im jealous

Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 45,844 times
Default Georgia to Colorado

Hello,

I am also considering a move to the Denver area in January. I live in Alpharetta, and have been a lifelong resident of metro Atlanta, but I am ready for a new environment. The traffic here is going to give me a stroke by the time I turn 30, and I am not too happy with the infrastructure and state government priorities.

How do you like Denver? What were the hardest things about moving out there? How about the cost of living?

I have a friend in Longmont, which is near Boulder, and he has offered to put me up for free for a few months while I look for a job...but I want to try to get him to move to Denver, since the market there is much better.

Please give me your input.

Thank you.

[mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-01-2008 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: personal info removed at request of member

Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
No one ever thinks the government does a good job, the more people there are making a decision the worse it seems to be.

The cost of living is actually pretty nice, the west coast surprised me how damn expensive it is in comparison. I loved it there, and I'll be back. The only thing I ever had trouble with was the bad snow (light and average snow was no prob), the rush hour traffic, and honestly all the sun! None were all that bad. If you're from Atlanta, from what I hear, the traffic will be considered light and easy. The bad snows are no fun anywhere, and it's rare anyways, so best to stay at home and watch it. The sun, well I love watching precipitation so sometimes I wanted a change!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,370 times
What are the average temps in the winter time? How long does Winter last?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfSomewhereNew View Post
What are the average temps in the winter time? How long does Winter last?
The average highs/lows in wintertime are mid 40's/mid 10's.

However, today we might have topped out at 30, and tomorrow they are forecasting a high of 26.

Winter lasts from October to May, or at least that's the time-frame we can see snow. Real winter, IMO is from December to February. People like to say we have four seasons here, but IMO we have four seasons in the same week. Heck, it was almost 70 yesterday!

Do a forum search on weather in Denver, you will find a plethora of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver