Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,970 times

Advertisements

For ****s and giggles I decided to go to Kroger's website and looked up how many stores are in Cleveland Ohio. Turns out not only does Cleveland not have a Kroger within it's boundaries, but the nearest one is 53 miles away.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
For ****s and giggles I decided to go to Kroger's website and looked up how many stores are in Cleveland Ohio. Turns out not only does Cleveland not have a Kroger within it's boundaries, but the nearest one is 53 miles away.

You mean the city where residence have to drive for HOURS just for grocery's have the Cleveland area beat in Krogers??? I DEMAND A RECOUNT lmao.

Too bad your info wont matter on the site since people seem to think Detroit's can't cross a damn street.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Kroger was just an example of a chain store BTW (fill in the blank with any national chain). I didn't think I had to explain that however...

However, here are the chain grocery stores Cleveland DOES have...

-Trader Joe's
-Costco
-Regional Full Service Grocery Store called Dave's Supermarket (several locations, the equivalent of Hiller's Markets here)
-Convenient Food Store (Equivalent of 7-Eleven, none of which are in Detroit)
-7-Eleven
-Sam's Club
-Safeway
-Wal-Mart Supercenter

BTW, you know it's sad wheneven Wal-Mart doesn't want to invest in a store in Detroit. Detroit is the only major city without a Wal-Mart and/or Target BTW. New York City doesn't count, only because their zoning laws can't support a Wal-Mart, not necessarily because of Wal-Mart's lack of trying to open a store there.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Why is Dave's supermarket better than Mike's? The one Costco that is in the city of Cleveland is so far from Downtown, that the Costco in Roseville is the same distance from downtown Detroit. There's no Sam's Club in Cleveland. New York city doesn't have a Walmart so I reckon Cleveland > New York. There isn't even a Safeway in Michigan or Ohio and who the hell cares about a 7-11?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Why is Dave's supermarket better than Mike's? The one Costco that is in the city of Cleveland is so far from Downtown, that the Costco in Roseville is the same distance from downtown Detroit. There's no Sam's Club in Cleveland. New York city doesn't have a Walmart so I reckon Cleveland > New York. There isn't even a Safeway in Michigan or Ohio and who the hell cares about a 7-11?
1. Dave's Supermarket has 14 locations throughout the Cleveland area (again, several in Cleveland proper) and a corporate headquarters. By definition, THAT'S a regional chain.

Mike's Fresh Market has two locations, one of which is not even technically full service, and no corporate headquarters.

2. No one said Cleveland > New York, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. However, it is true that Cleveland > Detroit.

3. The Sam's Club in Cleveland is at 10250 Brookpark Road

4. 7-Eleven sells better stuff than the crap you find in any Detroit liquor/party store.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
1. Dave's Supermarket has 14 locations throughout the Cleveland area (again, several in Cleveland proper) and a corporate headquarters. By definition, THAT'S a regional chain.

Mike's Fresh Market has two locations, one of which is not even technically full service, and no corporate headquarters.

2. No one said Cleveland > New York, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. However, it is true that Cleveland > Detroit.

3. The Sam's Club in Cleveland is at 10250 Brookpark Road

4. 7-Eleven sells better stuff than the crap you find in any Detroit liquor/party store.

Sam's Club on their website is listed as Brooklyn Ohio, but regardless it's 10 miles away from downtown. Spartan has 34 different stores in the city of Detroit. There are plenty of places to buy groceries from and your supporting small business and Michigan business. Imagine that.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Spartan has 34 different stores in the city of Detroit.
Spartan is a food distributor, not a food store chain.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Sam's Club on their website is listed as Brooklyn Ohio.
Oh, and it's probably one of those situations similar to the Barnes & Noble situation on Mack & Moross.

Bottom line, like the Barnes and Noble store on Mack and Moross, it's actually within Cleveland border, regardless of where the mail comes from.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Spartan is a food distributor, not a food store chain.

They actually moved into retail. They own independent chains. Regardless, there are still plenty of places in Detroit to get groceries.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Oh, and it's probably one of those situations similar to the Barnes & Noble situation on Mack & Moross.

Bottom line, like the Barnes and Noble store on Mack and Moross, it's actually within Cleveland border, regardless of where the mail comes from.

Regardless it's just as far from downtown Detroit as the suburban Sam's Club are from downtown Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit