Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 11:07 AM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
LOL!!! You have no room to talk. You plainly lack familiarity with even the basics of the last 25-50 years of economic history. It's all just passed you by. Could have kept track, but didn't. Now you get embarrassed in public for it. Nice going.

And you COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD the point of that statement as well. Pelosi was complaining that the stupid right-wing din and cacaphony over manufactured death panels and takeover issues was making it impossible to have a sensible public discussion over what actually was in PPACA. The bill was ultimately passed more than five years ago now, and the right-wing is still completely clueless as to what's in it and what it does. Very consistent, these folks are, you have to give them that much. They basically don't understand the details of anything at all.

It's been made pretty much clear here that some people are in fact that stupid and some even more so. Manufacturing output has soared in 20 years as manufacturing employment has fallen. NAFTA has expanded and smoothed what were already sizable and profitable trade patterns among the partners. These are simple and well-known facts. You have to work hard in order to be able to miss them.
Labor intensive manufacturing is done elsewhere, when feasible. U.S. focuses on what can be automated. We're value orientated, and widdle away at the process, trying to eliminate as much human labor as possible. That's our specialty. At the same time, our goods are still overpriced and can be done cheaper elsewhere. We also sacrifice investing in human talent along the way.

No other nation witnessed such a rapid loss of manufacturing, as a percentage of employment, as the U.S.. You think that's a sign of prosperity and competitive edge. I suggest otherwise. There are too many industries that we simply cannot compete in effectively any longer. Maybe that has something to do with why all the jobs disappeared...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times
Lots and lots of emotion and not much else at all. Maybe YOUR job disappeared. I don't know. But the simple facts are that manufacturing jobs disappeared everywhere. There was nothing at all special about US losses. You can be a big boy and decide to deal with the real world, but you of course don't have to.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:47 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Using tax money to subsidize corn which is dumped into mexico, displacing farmers is economic terrorism.

Then the displaced farmers either join the endless stream of soldiers for the cartels or come to the US where they cost us $$$$$$$$$$$ and have decimated the trades all across the nation.

Closed down factories in the US, lesser quality goods...

And to go beyond nafta and into "free" trade, the worldwide exploitation of cheap labor forces has increased the world's oil consumption and guaranteed that everything will be manufactured as cheaply, and filthily as possible.

Back to nafta though, I'm still waiting to hear what's so good about it?
Is this all in my imagination? I don't think so.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Lots and lots of emotion and not much else at all. Maybe YOUR job disappeared. I don't know. But the simple facts are that manufacturing jobs disappeared everywhere. There was nothing at all special about US losses. You can be a big boy and decide to deal with the real world, but you of course don't have to.
I am a machinist. I could be working 80 hours a week right now. I have job offers all the time, but work is very unstable.

The quality of crap sucks because workers are poorly trained, poorly paid and the education system is a mess. Companies have also failed to reinvest properly, as margins tightened. We also have an influx of poorly educated illegal immigrants. These people end up working in the manufacturing sector, and the quality is evident.

You can slice it and dice it as you wish. The more people a job requires, the more it makes sense to outsource to low wage countries. American workers don't produce quality work for the low wages offered today. The quality inspectors at Ford that I have talked to all have the same opinion as I. The Institute of Supply Chain Management repeatedly cites growing concern with America's lack of quality skilled labor. Cycle times are rising, and that's money down the drain. America is being squeezed out of the market by stiff foreign competition.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Is this all in my imagination?
Now it is, but I doubt that it was you who did the original imagining.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I am a machinist.
Nice. and maybe Dad and Grandad were as well. But that doesn't matter. US workers should not be focused on work that others can do as well and more cheaply. Shouldn't be that tough a thing to figure out.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:23 PM

Barbara, if it wasn't such a serious subject your posts would be funny.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Now it is, but I doubt that it was you who did the original imagining.
Yeah, don't address anything in the post though. All just made up...mmm hmmm.

Exactly how has nafta helped again? You're heavy on the insults but your posts have no real substance. Everyone else is stupid and you're a genius. We get it. That's all you bring to the table.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Nice. and maybe Dad and Grandad were as well. But that doesn't matter. US workers should not be focused on work that others can do as well and more cheaply. Shouldn't be that tough a thing to figure out.
What type of work is that? Pretty much everything can be done cheaper somewhere else. If they can't offshore the job, they just import cheaper workers in order to hold wages down.

Manufacturing is one of the few sectors where you can make a reliable buck, with a feasible profit margin. The problem comes when you have uneducated immigrants and the bottom 20% percentile of the workforce running the show.

Maybe the U.S. should focus on being more quality orientated, instead of racing to the bottom.

Last edited by andywire; 06-08-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 AM

If there ever actually were any, you two ran out of sensible things to say a long time ago. No facts, no history, no nothing. Over twenty years, the effects of NAFTA have been small but positive. Manufacturing employment has been falling everywhere since the mid-1990's. US industrial production has returned to pre-Great Recession all-time high levels. We and China are by far the world's two largest manufacturing economies. About 24% of US manufactures are produced for export. To be fully informed, read the New York Times. Not stupid stuff from some Tea Party blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics