Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 04:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That reminds me of the time where the assistant principal had me sit in the waiting room of his office to watch the door in case any woodchucks tried to enter. lol. These assistant principals think that these inane assignments give them power over us, but all they do is just make us realize what flakes they are, and cause us to lose any respect for them or for authority in general. I even got yelled at, at one point, since my head wasn't facing the door, and he was afraid that I'd miss a woodchuck. lol.
Oh man, that is hilarious. I would respect him for being creative enough to come up with that!

I was a strange mix - a rebel who respected authority. I enjoyed breaking rules, but readily accepted punishment for it. Usually, I considered the punishment a small price to pay for the enjoyment I got from breaking rules in school.

I wish I had gotten such a creative "sentence." I guess the most creative punishment I got was having to write an essay on "Life Inside a Ping Pong Ball" while I sat in detention. Other than that, it was pretty ho hum -- usually just sitting reading/doing homework, but on less frequent occasions writing lines "I will not ......" 500x or something like that, or doing custodial work like cleaning the cafeteria, cleaning desktops or setting up chairs in the gym for an assembly.

Sitting looking for woodchucks reminds me how I quickly learned to always go for the window seat when I was in detention. The time passed better if there was something to look out at, rather than being "landlocked" in the room and only being able to see walls or other students. Other people figured this out too, since the window row in the detention room always filled up first. When I had detention, I usually got there early so I could scout out my window seat, but also to see if any of my friends were there too, and if so, to make plans to do something fun after we got out. I found that if I went for burgers (or beers...) with a couple of friends after getting out of detention, it pretty much negated the effect of the punishment. Failing that, I tried to break another rule on the way out without getting caught, like exiting through the main office door as a short cut to the parking lot, a door students were forbidden to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:

Exactly! Unfortunately, phetaroi keeps defending that practice.

No, I do NOT keep defending that.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
That reminds me of the time where the assistant principal had me sit in the waiting room of his office to watch the door in case any woodchucks tried to enter. lol. These assistant principals think that these inane assignments give them power over us, but all they do is just make us realize what flakes they are, and cause us to lose any respect for them or for authority in general. I even got yelled at, at one point, since my head wasn't facing the door, and he was afraid that I'd miss a woodchuck. lol.
You see, here is your problem.

An assistant principal is assigned student discipline, teacher evaluation, interviewing potential school staff, and many other important roles in the school. It is NOT an inane position, even though you may have had a poor AP.

Glad to see you realize that you simply have no "respect...for authority in general". Now you're getting honest.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:17 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, I do NOT keep defending that.
Back in post #311 you bragged about how you punish bulllying victims. You are still attacking me even though that is the only thing that we have disagreed on.

Quote:
You see, here is your problem.

An assistant principal is assigned student discipline, teacher evaluation, interviewing potential school staff, and many other important roles in the school. It is NOT an inane position, even though you may have had a poor AP.
I never said that an assistant principal is an inane position. I said that they like to give us inane assignments such as me having to look for woodchucks in a waiting room with no access to the outside, and another poster had to write about life inside a ping pong ball. They felt that those inane assignments would put them in control of us. But all it did was show what idiots they were. How can you not agree that those assignments were inane? And why do you say that I called their position inherently inane?

Quote:
Glad to see you realize that you simply have no "respect...for authority in general". Now you're getting honest.
Given how authority figures did nothing to help me, and basically encouraged others to bully people like me, how could I possibly have gained respect for authority?

Old 10-29-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Back in post #311 you bragged about how you punish bulllying victims. You are still attacking me even though that is the only thing that we have disagreed on.

I never said that an assistant principal is an inane position. I said that they like to give us inane assignments such as me having to look for woodchucks in a waiting room with no access to the outside, and another poster had to write about life inside a ping pong ball. They felt that those inane assignments would put them in control of us. But all it did was show what idiots they were. How can you not agree that those assignments were inane? And why do you say that I called their position inherently inane?

Given how authority figures did nothing to help me, and basically encouraged others to bully people like me, how could I possibly have gained respect for authority?
This: "It isn't "twisted logic" that if you fight back, you are fighting, and fighting is against school rules." is NOT bragging.

Think about it for a minute. A school official receives 2 students who are fighting. There is no known history of bullying. 2 different stories are told. 2 different sets of parents get involved, each telling how innocent their kid is and how the other kid started a fight. How does the school administrator know this isn't just a fight. It isn't magic. Maybe after a long investigation the truth will come out. But, at least early on, it's going to appear to be a fight.

I'm beginning to understand why authority figures might not have liked you when you were a kid.

Maybe you need to figure out why you were targeted by bullies. Bullies -- usually cowards -- know who to pick on. Why was it you?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
This: "It isn't "twisted logic" that if you fight back, you are fighting, and fighting is against school rules." is NOT bragging.
But it is punishing bullying victims, which is wrong.

Quote:
Think about it for a minute. A school official receives 2 students who are fighting. There is no known history of bullying.
That is your problem right there.

Quote:
2 different stories are told. 2 different sets of parents get involved, each telling how innocent their kid is and how the other kid started a fight. How does the school administrator know this isn't just a fight. It isn't magic. Maybe after a long investigation the truth will come out. But, at least early on, it's going to appear to be a fight.
It's your job to figure out what happened. If there are absolutely no reliable witnesses and is truly one persons word against another, than both people should be innocent until proven guilty.

Quote:
I'm beginning to understand why authority figures might not have liked you when you were a kid.
Because I wasn't a doormat who just cheerfully accepted blatantly unfair punishments.

Quote:
Maybe you need to figure out why you were targeted by bullies. Bullies -- usually cowards -- know who to pick on. Why was it you?
It was because I was always the smallest boy in school, I was a geek rather than a jock, and they knew that my parents would do nothing when I was unjustly punished. Why did bullies choose you to pick on?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:33 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
Quote:

Think about it for a minute. A school official receives 2 students who are fighting. There is no known history of bullying. 2 different stories are told. 2 different sets of parents get involved, each telling how innocent their kid is and how the other kid started a fight. How does the school administrator know this isn't just a fight. It isn't magic. Maybe after a long investigation the truth will come out. But, at least early on, it's going to appear to be a fight.

With every post you make, you more solidify my opinion about not wanting you as my principal - either as a parent, student, or teacher.

As stated before, it's you're job to find the truth about certain events. Although I will acknowledge that sometimes the truth might be unobtainable in many cases as this, there's ways that administrator can conduct the consequences with a degree of fairness.

But we aren't talking about two students with clean records. We're talking about a bully and a victim. Thats the whole point of this thread. And I doubt that any administrator with any degree of worth could not tell the two apart, especially if parents (or the student) have been making complaints. So you know which one probably started it.

Tell me something... How in the hell could you ever justify punishing a person that is defending themselves from physical assault? One of the few inherent rights that a person has that should never be taken away is the right to self-preservation. To be able to protect themselves from harm is so basic a human right that even explaining it is inane.

Now if you're one of those lazy admins that just loves the "zero-tolerance" policy that basically takes the decision out of your hands (therefore reducing how much effort you have to put forth to settle -and be fair in - this issue), then I understand you better. Don't think any better of you, but I understand why you say what you do.

As a parent of a hypothetical bullied child that you punished for defending themselves from a bully - one that has a documented history of doing so, one that the school has been made aware of - if you punished my child for doing this, I'd consider bringing suit against you. And I hate lawyers.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
But it is punishing bullying victims, which is wrong.

That is your problem right there.

It's your job to figure out what happened. If there are absolutely no reliable witnesses and is truly one persons word against another, than both people should be innocent until proven guilty.

Because I wasn't a doormat who just cheerfully accepted blatantly unfair punishments.

It was because I was always the smallest boy in school, I was a geek rather than a jock, and they knew that my parents would do nothing when I was unjustly punished. Why did bullies choose you to pick on?
Yes, it was my job to fully investigate...and I did...but that does not always result in a firm conclusion.

So let's say the "victim" has no damage, but the bully has a broken nose. There is no evidence as to the history of the two being in a bully/victim relationship. What then? Does the broken nose go unpunished?

For me -- I was too meek and mild.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
With every post you make, you more solidify my opinion about not wanting you as my principal - either as a parent, student, or teacher.

As stated before, it's you're job to find the truth about certain events. Although I will acknowledge that sometimes the truth might be unobtainable in many cases as this, there's ways that administrator can conduct the consequences with a degree of fairness.

But we aren't talking about two students with clean records. We're talking about a bully and a victim. Thats the whole point of this thread. And I doubt that any administrator with any degree of worth could not tell the two apart, especially if parents (or the student) have been making complaints. So you know which one probably started it.

Tell me something... How in the hell could you ever justify punishing a person that is defending themselves from physical assault? One of the few inherent rights that a person has that should never be taken away is the right to self-preservation. To be able to protect themselves from harm is so basic a human right that even explaining it is inane.

Now if you're one of those lazy admins that just loves the "zero-tolerance" policy that basically takes the decision out of your hands (therefore reducing how much effort you have to put forth to settle -and be fair in - this issue), then I understand you better. Don't think any better of you, but I understand why you say what you do.

As a parent of a hypothetical bullied child that you punished for defending themselves from a bully - one that has a documented history of doing so, one that the school has been made aware of - if you punished my child for doing this, I'd consider bringing suit against you. And I hate lawyers.
But here's the problem: when I was bullied, David Pukelar (name modified) had no discipline record. As far as I knew, clean as a whistle. Most bullying doesn't take place in front of staff (you ought to know that). It's in the gym locker room, or in the hallway corner, or in the back of the school bus, or on the way home from school. Are some bullies obvious and well-known; yes, of course. But just as many are not well known.

You've jumped to a conclusion not warranted. I don't believe I ever punished a victim of a bully. But I'm saying that when that revenge punch is thrown, it sure makes an investigation difficult and the outcome less certain. Our school system was very large, so we had one law firm on retainer. Although it wasn't about bullying, I had one case (about a possible sex offense) where I had to consult the school board attorneys. Their answer was: what actual evidence do you have. Not your opinion. Actual evidence. Base your decision on your actual evidence. Because if you end up in court testifying for one side or the other, the judge is going to want to hear your actual evidence.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post

Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education