Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
...and by the way, not to knock teachers at all, why would a highly skilled person teach at the current salary level when they can take that same skill set and go to work in corp america with a salary around market value with a bonus, and possibly other compensation (stock, etc.) and an ability to see pay increases as their performance increases as well? Wouldn't it be great if your kid had a teacher that studied their respective subject at a top university? But at the current salary level it would be very difficult to pay back the cost of that education. It is a shame that we can't attract a high level of talent to teaching-- think of the impact they could make to this country.

Soapbox.
My son's favorite teacher last year was his math teacher......a retired IBM guy who now loves to teach. I see that every once in a while.....those who made a living in the corporate world and now want to "give back" to the community by teaching our children. Not everyone is suited for it, but it's great when those with life / real world / business experience can add to the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

355 posts, read 922,975 times
Quote:
...and by the way, not to knock teachers at all, why would a highly skilled person teach at the current salary level when they can take that same skill set and go to work in corp america with a salary around market value with a bonus, and possibly other compensation (stock, etc.) and an ability to see pay increases as their performance increases as well? Wouldn't it be great if your kid had a teacher that studied their respective subject at a top university? But at the current salary level it would be very difficult to pay back the cost of that education. It is a shame that we can't attract a high level of talent to teaching-- think of the impact they could make to this country.

Soapbox.
"Other compensation"? You mean like 2.5 mos. off in the summer, 10 days off for spring break, and a couple weeks off at Christmas?

Gee, I'm not sure...

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Let us stop the attack on teachers! I am who I am today -- a successful, intelligent, independent, compassionate woman -- partly due to good, hardworking teachers. Just because teachers signed up to teach does not mean that they need to "take it"...as in take it up the rear, excuse my French. I am a salaried worker, albeit a non-exempt one (thank goodness--no amount of salary could compensate more than overtime), and I absolutely do not take work home with me, and neither should it be expected. Are you telling me that teachers should work ten hour days, in addition to having their own families, for the 45-50K that they earn? I don't consider those wages to be a pitance, but neither do I think the salaries entitle people to think that teachers should work any more than themselves.

So there are crappy teachers. There are crappy people in every field. Does that mean that we poop on everyone? Teachers do a lot to try and educate your little Leroy and Jane. That isn't easy. I, for one, know that I would never have the patience to deal with a room of 20 children in a babysitter role, let alone an educator role.

There's a lot of talk about teacher performance. Other than personal satisfaction and genuine caring about a child's progress, what real incentive is there, huh? You have the state enacting all sorts of cuts, demanding that you turn your classroom into a TAKS-cramming center so the school gets the coveted "recognized"/"exemplary" ratings, parents failing their children by not being involved or too busy, yada yada... and people rail against teacher performance?

People become teachers because many genuinely want to educate, but they don't deserve some of the flak that they are getting. I admire the profession, and regardless of the bad apples, I say they deserve whatever they get.

OP: The begging and expectation of gifts is wrong. I didn't even know that was expected. I also think it's in poor taste.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
"Other compensation"? You mean like 2.5 mos. off in the summer, 10 days off for spring break, and a couple weeks off at Christmas?

Gee, I'm not sure...
Would I rather make a triple digit salary with 5 weeks vacation knowing that I can get an increase if I hit my performance plan and the company does well? Or would I rather make a teacher's salary and have little control over my job? Clearly people have made their decision and you don't see the world's brightest minds choosing teaching over finance, management consulting, IT, etc. to become a teacher (unfortunately).

Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,492 times
Quote:
Would I rather make a triple digit salary with 5 weeks vacation knowing that I can get an increase if I hit my performance plan and the company does well? Or would I rather make a teacher's salary and have little control over my job? Clearly people have made their decision and you don't see the world's brightest minds choosing teaching over finance, management consulting, IT, etc. to become a teacher (unfortunately).
This is true, but see my statement above. Wish we had more.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post

Gee, I'm not sure...
Teachers don't have summers "off". They're paid for 10 months of work. Most teachers work other jobs over the summer, or take classes for licensing requirements.

Don't most people give gifts to people int heir lives? I know that at work we're constantly hit up for baby showers, graduations, birthdays, etc.

Sounds like you have something personal against teachers.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,771,340 times
Quote:
You are out of your mind and clearly have little value for education and the value that could be derived from a rich (and I use this term lightly given the resources) environment. It amazes me that people like you think that we can throw anyone into a teaching job and expect them to shut up, be happy and deliver high level results-- while tearing down moral. The reason teacher are frustrated is because we continue to raise the bar but we cut their salary, lay them off, cut additional resources, and refuse to properly fund the public school system-- when the education of our country is the most important tool we have as a country. Teacher's pay in the US is ranks behind 25 other countries as ranked by GDP. I am a recruiter and do you know how difficult it is to find qualified high-level talent in this country (let alone this state...)? It blows my mind that we don't think about education in the same way we think about national defense! Do we think we are going to coast just because we are "Americans"? I miss being #1 and no one wants to do anything to get us back to that spot. And yes, this correlates directly to how we treat our teachers and our general attitude towards public education.

And teachers don't hate their job-- they hate how people treat them and how parents hand their kids off and show little involvement in their kid's education, yet blame the teacher when little johnny brings home a less than desirable grade.
LMAO Nothing new here, I expected negative feedback, but seriously, there is no need for personal attacks. I am not out of my mind and how you came to that conclusion amazes me.

It seems you speak for all teachers, so you might want to notify all of them to downsize on the b*tching a little because it tends to make people like me listen and conclude that yep, they feel they are the only people in the world who are so downtrodden, put upon, unappreciated, under paid, crap the list is endless.

Hey, quit and join the rest of us in happy land where there is no stress, always appreciated, paid accordingly to our worth. Yep, we happy folks got it made in the 'outside world'. LOL The difference is apparent even on forums like this. I never said all parents are excellent models, nor are all teachers excellent models. I think for the most part, everyone tries the best they can with what they have. I'm just saying for crying out loud, quit the constant b*tching. It's not accomplishing anything.

Just about everyone at some time has been in a situation with cut backs, impossible appearing working conditions, etc. You have two options. Pack it in, get on with it and do the best you can. Or you can sit and moan and groan, b*tch and whine and everyone has to pay the price for your incompetence.

Admit it, you can take two teachers and give them exactly the same tools to work with. One will do nothing but cry that they don't have all the necessary tools to do their job and will spend more time and energy bemoaing that fact than they will in doing their job. In the meantime, the more enterprising teacher will succeed because they are trying harder to make it work and don't have the time to p*ss and moan constantly.

BTW the more enterprising teacher is definitely not looking for hand-outs from her students either. Take that to heart, teachers. Another thing,like my Daddy always said, you got your feeling stuck a foot out in front of you, they bound to get stepped on.

Now, let the feathers fly cause I'm sure they're going to. All I can say is, have fun with it. I know enough that there's no debating with an overly sensitive teacher who loves their job even though they are constantly complaining about it and bemoaning the fact that the school district is being so mean to them, the state is being so mean to them, the parents are being so mean to them, the students are being so mean to them, yet they manage to bravely struggle onward thru it all, so Lord no, do not complain when all they ask is a gift for their birthday, a gift for Christmas, a gift for teachers appreciation day and then whatever else they can come up with and a list telling you exactly what you need to buy for them and what not to buy. Yep, funny and no, there's no reasoning with that line of thinking. Eeek! You might get told you are "out of your mind".

Oh and another thing, our world is rapidly changing if you haven't noticed. The US is in serious dire straits and thousands of people are struggling to keep afloat and food in their bellies. Get a grip, teachers are not the only ones who are being laid off and having their rescources cut. Quit living in a fantasy world and come back to reality. These are tough times we living in now and everyone is going to have to pitch in and work together for us to make it through.

Like I said, have fun with it kiddos!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sounds like you have something personal against teachers.
Either that, or s/he is just jealous they don't have summers "off", too.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
My son's favorite teacher last year was his math teacher......a retired IBM guy who now loves to teach. I see that every once in a while.....those who made a living in the corporate world and now want to "give back" to the community by teaching our children. Not everyone is suited for it, but it's great when those with life / real world / business experience can add to the equation.
When I was in high school, I had a great chemistry teacher who had made his fortune as a chemical engineer overseas, and wanted to come back to his community and "give back." What a great teacher! In my education and in my son's, I do remember a few "clinkers" - teachers who were less than ideal - but the vast majority were great teachers and great people, and really had a heart for teaching. We owe them so much!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
When I was in high school, I had a great chemistry teacher who had made his fortune as a chemical engineer overseas, and wanted to come back to his community and "give back." What a great teacher! In my education and in my son's, I do remember a few "clinkers" - teachers who were less than ideal - but the vast majority were great teachers and great people, and really had a heart for teaching. We owe them so much!

IMO there are no words to express the graditude we owe good, caring teachers. Seems like a hundred years ago when I was in school, but I remember some of my good teachers just like it was yesterday. The salt of the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education