Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times

Advertisements

not surprising at all. i said a few months ago she would win, even created a thread on it.

she has iowa ties and the tea party has a decent presence in that state.

paul getting that many votes means nothing either. he always does well in these types of things. he has to win when it matters for me to take him seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
This will be Bachman's last hurrah now that Perry is in the race. Bachman will be gone soon. It is going to be a 2 man race between Perry and Romney. I don't care who wins because either of them will defeat Obama next November.
What difference is trading one Progressive for another? The country and the US Constitution will be buried forever if either of those two win the primary nomination. Nothing is won but everthing can be lost.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you serious? She actually had a concert in return for voting for her? Unethical right out of the gate!
That is what I thought.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Anyway, now that Ron Paul is a legitimate front-runner, Sean Hannity deigned to do an interview with at least Rand Paul.
Rand Paul Reaction To Father Ron Paul's Grand Showing At The Ames Straw Poll - YouTube

Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He will never be POTUS. He is too old.
Yeah, you keep posting that. We get it, you have a real problem with ageism. Obviously from the percentage of Paul supporters being under 35 yrs. of age others do not share your bias and look beyond the surface to the substance.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default Straw poll relevant in showing who will not be Prez

Maybe this will give her the confidence (maybe even Ron Paul too) to explain while she sat idly by picking her nose while Bush was wrecking the country. Where was her outrage over spending and the deficit then? Why wasn't she outraged when it was discovered that Bush LIED to engage this country in two unnecessary wars? Bush's lies caused thousands of Americans to die, and ruined the lives of millions. Where were her ideas (or those of any GOP candidate for that matter) during the Bush years to help steer this economy away from another Great Depression and record deficit? Millions of qualified american workers were displaced under Bush, driven to the unemployment line by the preference for foreign labor and big profits for corp. Where was this religious incompetent then?

Straw poll in Iowa certainly a meaningful event. In this case, it is a clear indicator of who will NOT become President.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 PM

So the pundits except for a precious few were wrong. Ron Paul was not supposed to be a "serious" candidate. Rick Perry was supposed to have "strong" write in numbers(who didn't) and of course no one was supposed to touch Romney who did terribly. The only thing they had right was that Bachman could do well.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yeah, you keep posting that. We get it, you have a real problem with ageism. Obviously from the percentage of Paul supporters being under 35 yrs. of age others do not share your bias and look beyond the surface to the substance.
gotta wonder how many in that age bracket would have supported him , if he wasn't for drug legalization.

I'm hoping to hear what Perry has to say in the next debate.
Seems to be the best candidate at the moment.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well no one else will come out and say it but we all know it is TRUE. Ron Paul is a FRONT-RUNNER

» Forget the Hoax, Ron Paul is a Presidential Front Runner Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Ron Paul is certainly a front runner. He dominates polls. He is truly our last and only hope to avoid collapse.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,656 times
Did any of you watch their speeches? I live in Iowa and they were broadcast here in their entirety, and I watched as much as I could stand.

Just to say this up front - I'm a conservative Democrat who occasionally votes Republican. That said, the Republican straw poll speeches were sickening to me. Pandering, pandering, pandering - the candidates were so obviously giving the extremists only what they wanted to hear, and saying nothing at all of substance.

From Bachman, to Pawlenty, and even to Ron Paul the speeches were ALL focused on right to life.

What does THAT have to do with the economy? What does THAT have to do with knowledge about foreign relations? What does THAT have to do with military action on multiple fronts?

And can't our politicians focus on governing rather than campaigning for 2 1/2 solid years?

Americans need to let go of our fondness for watching competitions and ask our politicians to govern rather than campaign for the majority of their terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections