Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Bachmann just had more money to bus in supporters. 200-300 more than Paul. Incidentally, the only people who give a rats a$$ about this poll, is the Media.
I disagree. The Iowa Straw Poll is a very important poll. It is the first real test of the candidate's organizational ability and public perception. I honestly think Romney made a dumb mistake in skipping it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I honestly think Romney made a dumb mistake in skipping it.
I do too. It makes him look like he thinks he has it in
the bag, and/or he is above doing that sort of thing.
or maybe he was afraid of more of this...

Romney: 'Corporations are people, my friend' - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/08/11/romney_in_shouting_match_with_crowd_at_iowa_fair/?page=2 - broken link)

Romney's terse back-and-forth was just the latest example of why his advisers are limiting his public events. When he ran four years ago, he packed his days with events and weighed in on every topic. Now the front-runner, he instead prefers more controlled environments where he is less prone to gaffes or moments that could spin out of his handlers' control.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
Bachman's on Meet the Press right now and her old comments are starting to catch up with her. She has no chance at the presidency, the Republican Party would be insanely stupid to let her bring any delegates to the convention.
So the party is supposed to stop individuals from voting for her, thus not allowing delegates, is that how our democracy works? You don't like her, so what, I don't support her, so what, but many do and she will bring delegates to the convention: good for her, just like Ron Paul and others. Will she get the nomination? Most likely not. Will she even come in third? that is the 64,000 question. The thing that amazes me: why do Democrats really care who Republicans choose, do I sense a real fear that the leader will get defeated?

Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Finally we agree on some of what you say. I consider the man to be too old for the job since I am just over 1 year older than he is.

One thing that we must look at this time around is that those under 30 will not flock to the polls for either party, especially the Democrats. Lets just watch the Obama speeches once he really starts to campaign and see if we see all those young women screaming and fainting all over the place. they didn't get what they thought they would get and they won't be back.
You are just a bit older and I a bit younger: all our friends (and btw we are considered young for our age) say the same thing: even if they supported his candidacy, he is 10 years past his time. No one can deny he looked tired yesterday and this is just the beginning. Wait until April of next year or March.

Nita

Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
enthusiastic political fan = vote

Memorable 1st runner ups in history:
I guess you've never watched American Idol
WE are talking about electing the Pres of the United states,not a call in show. It takes money and energy to run a long, hard campaign. He isn't running for congress in a very small district. He is running for Pres in a very large district.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
I agree Ron Paul is older, but wouldn't use that against him. Some of his largest supporters are young; ones who usually call out on when one is too old for anything. The presidency of the United States is an important job, and calling good candidates out because of their older age is senseless. Plus, its not like Republicans have a lot competitive candidates against likely democratic nominee president Obama.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM

277 posts, read 577,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So the party is supposed to stop individuals from voting for her, thus not allowing delegates, is that how our democracy works? You don't like her, so what, I don't support her, so what, but many do and she will bring delegates to the convention: good for her, just like Ron Paul and others. Will she get the nomination? Most likely not. Will she even come in third? that is the 64,000 question. The thing that amazes me: why do Democrats really care who Republicans choose, do I sense a real fear that the leader will get defeated?
Republican Party = anyone voting in the Republican primaries. Now she is an even bigger face of the farce that is the Republican Party. The less time she's on TV and the less time she's seen as a major contender is a win for the Republicans. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot the more and more they let this woman even get a hint that she'll win. If she's defeated in Iowa her campaign will be done with though, so it might be all for naught.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
You know Nixion Lost the straw poll, but in the Presidentail election won 49 states.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
WE are talking about electing the Pres of the United states,not a call in show. It takes money and energy to run a long, hard campaign. He isn't running for congress in a very small district. He is running for Pres in a very large district.
You act as if Ron Paul is on life support.
You stated "no one who came in second in ANY
contest.... Obama is already graying. He's only 50.
For someone older as yourself, you seem very obsessed with Paul's age.
He is not Ronald Reagan on his second term with Alzheimer's.

I'm tired of "how you think he looked"
contest. No one seemed to concern themselves
with the fact FDR had bags down to the bridge of his
nose. Not to mention they have a stress management
team over yonder in the White House. It's called
a Cabinet

Ben Franklin would tell you to "go fly a kite"

Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You act as if Ron Paul is on life support.
You stated "no one who came in second in ANY
contest.... Obama is already graying. He's only 50.
For someone older as yourself, you seem very obsessed with Paul's age.
He is not Ronald Reagan on his second term with Alzheimer's.

I'm tired of "how you think he looked"
contest. No one seemed to concern themselves
with the fact FDR had bags down to the bridge of his
nose. Not to mention they have a stress management
team over yonder in the White House. It's called
a Cabinet

Ben Franklin would tell you to "go fly a kite"
Don't know how old your are, but those of us in our 60s/70s know that no matter how much the spirit is willing, the body just isn't capable of working super long, intense days. Fatigue sets in and when it does, there is a loss of focus and clarity of thinking - that's when errors in judgment occur.

Yes, it happens to younger people, but not with the frequency that it does with those in the last quarter of their lives.

Paul is waaaay too old to be POTUS and the majority of Americans know this - a Paul presidency is a pipe dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections