Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM

370 posts, read 440,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And I thought it was just the extreme right evangelicals that had a
rabid following

Crazy me, I'd really like to hear about Obama's accomplishments over the
last three plus years, instead of someone stating they are voting for Obama
simply by default

Remember if you dont vote for Obama youre a racist!
Obama supporters are going to have a rude awakening with their Obama worship. They are turning off a lot of liberals and left wing democrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I am almost touched by the passion and idealism expressed by the Paul supporters. There is something sweet about it.

On the other hand, it reminds of one of the beginning scenes in the movie "Gone With The Wind" where all the Southern Gentlemen were congratulating themselves how handily they could whip the Yankees in a matter of weeks or months.

From my point of view, Ron Paul does not enjoy the support of the majority of registered Republicans; and certainly not that of Democrats ... furthermore I do not think even most Independents would support him. His base seems to be a small minority of voters who label themselves "Libertarians."

Even if Paul won the GOP nomination, would he defeat Obama? Probably not.

If Paul was elected to the White House, would the House of Representatives and the Senate lie down and play dead and let Paul push all his program's through? Certainly not.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And I thought it was just the extreme right evangelicals that had a
rabid following

Crazy me, I'd really like to hear about Obama's accomplishments over the
last three plus years, instead of someone stating they are voting for Obama
simply by default

For your reading pleasure, pollyrobin. And it's the short list!

A Short List of Pres. Obama’s Accomplishments | PlanetPOV

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
For your reading pleasure, pollyrobin. And it's the short list!

A Short List of Pres. Obama’s Accomplishments | PlanetPOV
The problem is that many people (myself included) don't see quite a few of those things as actual accomplishments.

For example:

No. 16: Increase minority access to capital - Capital should flow freely to those who can utilize it most efficiently, not be given haphazardly to people based on their skin color, religion, sex or any other attribute...none of these factor into being able to utilize and create wealth/value with the capital. The government picking winners is a bad thing, remember Solyndra?

No. 93: Reinstate executive order to hire an additional 100,000 federal employees with disabilities within five years. - Hire based on skills and competencies, not on random physical attributes, regardless of how happy and cheerful it sounds. And does the Federal Government REALLY need more employees or LESS?

No. 458: Invest in all types of alternative energy - Again, Solyndra? Last time I checked the US Government was not Bain Capital...well not yet anyway.

No. 483: Invest in public transportation In a country where it is proven that it is often ineffective and under used, why do we continue to waste money on this?

And just to be fair...I like this one, although I am not familiar with the method use to do so, or what the actual results were:

No. 247: Recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession

Anyway, this might be a list of "wins" to some people but to others this is a list of "Wait, WHAT did they do??"

Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am almost touched by the passion and idealism expressed by the Paul supporters. There is something sweet about it.

On the other hand, it reminds of one of the beginning scenes in the movie "Gone With The Wind" where all the Southern Gentlemen were congratulating themselves how handily they could whip the Yankees in a matter of weeks or months.

From my point of view, Ron Paul does not enjoy the support of the majority of registered Republicans; and certainly not that of Democrats ... furthermore I do not think even most Independents would support him. His base seems to be a small minority of voters who label themselves "Libertarians."

If Paul was elected to the White House, would the House of Representatives and the Senate lie down and play dead and let Paul push all his program's through? Certainly not.
I have seen very similar posts so many times now minus perhaps the patronizing sarcasm at the beginning, here on this forum and on others, and on Facebook and blogs ... Do you have anything original to say?

That's funny, it reminds me of a time when 56 men sat in a room together and signed this little piece of hemp paper some people know as the declaration of independents ... I'm sure England underestimated them and their plight as well.

You cant kill an idea, especially not ideas as important as liberty and peace, though you can resist them, futilely ...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:

i think you underestimate how many americans respect their country, the constitution, and their freedom.

of course congress wouldn't go for a lot of what ron paul advocates (after all, less POWER for them.), but if just a few of his ideas started to turn this country around they would have to follow them-or lose their election bid. (no POWER for them.)

an improving economy benefits everyone-even the political parties in office.

right now, there isn't very much optimism in the country.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

That's funny, it reminds me of a time when 56 men sat in a room together and signed the declaration of independents ... I'm sure England underestimated them and their plight as well. You cant kill an idea, especially not ideas as important as liberty and peace.
Your point is well taken.

I was not being sarcastic, nor was it my intention to be patronizing. I can respect and even admire people even if I don't agree with their political ideology.

First of all: it is The Declaration of Independence (not "independents") ... take it from someone who lives just a walking distance from where that document was written and signed.

Secondly, I agree with you on the power of a new idea whose time has come. I'm not disputing Mr. Paul's message, but in the real world it takes organization, money, toil, political savvy, and so on for those ideas to come to fruition. I am focused on Mr. Paul's candidacy right now, and quite frankly I do not think he garnered the support and mass appeal yet to win in the 2012 election.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
Quote:
Your point is well taken.

I was not being sarcastic, nor was it my intention to be patronizing. I can respect and even admire people even if I don't agree with their political ideology.

First of all: it is The Declaration of Independence (not "independents") ... take it from someone who lives just a walking distance from where that document was written and signed.

Secondly, I agree with you on the power of a new idea whose time has come. I'm not disputing Mr. Paul's message, but in the real world it takes organization, money, toil, political savvy, and so on for those ideas to come to fruition. I am focused on Mr. Paul's candidacy right now, and quite frankly I do not think he garnered the support and mass appeal yet to win in the 2012 election.

Thank you for the clerical correction ...

I don't think Paul has garnered the type of support that is necessary to win the nomination or the election yet either. However, look at the press he gets - what little he gets - nearly all of it has been from the very beginning negative. Where Paul is concerned there has been very little professional neutral press coverage of him and his campaign. Now they are pretending that he isn't even in the race anymore, as well as Gingrich in some cases. Yet Paul has a very substantial number of delegates at this time and his organization and money raising abilities are second only to Romney, and completely grass roots. I cant say that i have a lot of hope for Paul's chances at winning the Nomination, i believe if he did and were given fair press coverage that he could easily beat Obama, but i think even then GOP establishment would prefer Obama to stay in office than have Paul come and pee all over their war games and their global currency fraud.

No, that is not why i am still supporting Paul ... I am still supporting him because what he says will happen will happen, its just a matter of time. He will be right again and his message will be remembered for what it is, the truth ... Or at least a lot closer to it than anyone one else running for election.

It is more about education now than any hope of winning election. It is about getting the message out to as many people as we can before the collapse comes. Then people will no longer be able to argue the point, though many will just end up wanting to give the government even more power until we are a real dictatorship and the whole illusion of elections is finally cast aside.

I believe Paul becoming president would not completely ward off the coming collapse, but i think he would do a lot to shine a light on the corruption in Washington and resist their race to destroy our economy ... There are many things he could do to restore confidence in America, especially as commander in Chief, but i still don't see that happening right now either. What is see is the collapse of the dollar, all hell breaking lose, and then a fight for power to see what the new America will end up being like. I wont have anything to do with the violence that i see coming, but that doesn't change the fact that i see it coming, and that it will effect everyone.

Maybe after its all over we will remember how we got here to begin with, and be able to finally make the right decisions and remember why we make them ... And hopefully we will not allow ourselves to forget the lessons again anytime soon.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 02-29-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The problem is that many people (myself included) don't see quite a few of those things as actual accomplishments.

For example:

No. 16: Increase minority access to capital - Capital should flow freely to those who can utilize it most efficiently, not be given haphazardly to people based on their skin color, religion, sex or any other attribute...none of these factor into being able to utilize and create wealth/value with the capital. The government picking winners is a bad thing, remember Solyndra?

So all minority entrepreneurs should be denied the opportunity to provide goods or services because of Solyandra? That's throwing out the baby with the bath water.

No. 93: Reinstate executive order to hire an additional 100,000 federal employees with disabilities within five years. - Hire based on skills and competencies, not on random physical attributes, regardless of how happy and cheerful it sounds. And does the Federal Government REALLY need more employees or LESS?

"Happy and cheerful?" Perhaps "based on ability in spite of handicaps" would be more accurate. And those are 100,000 paying back into the system, instead of wasting away because no one will hire them.

No. 458: Invest in all types of alternative energy - Again, Solyndra? Last time I checked the US Government was not Bain Capital...well not yet anyway.

Solyandra again? Have you no complaints about Halliburton or Blackwater?
No matter...alternative means of energy only hastens the day that we're independent from the Middle East and the unpleasant consequences that entails.

No. 483: Invest in public transportation In a country where it is proven that it is often ineffective and under used, why do we continue to waste money on this?

People said the same about Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System. And we've hardly wasted trillions...or billions...on something that the Europeans have proven to work; you can essentially go from Paris to Moscow via EuroRail. Surely you aren't suggesting that Europeans have more ingenuity and common sense than Americans? And it would create jobs, from construction through maintenance and services.

And just to be fair...I like this one, although I am not familiar with the method use to do so, or what the actual results were:

No. 247: Recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession

Remember the program that allows retired military to go into teaching? That's one way...no doubt there are many ways to provide incentives
for those qualified to make such a move, if the simple desire to better our
students in that area isn't sufficient.

Anyway, this might be a list of "wins" to some people but to others this is a list of "Wait, WHAT did they do??"

There are plenty of liberals who are upset with President Obama as well, although for reasons different from your own. It's impossible to please everyone...no president has ever managed that.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Okay, maybe you're right ... Maybe we are wrong and there is nothing to fear from your BIG government that you love so much.
Didn't say that, but nice straw man.

Hey IronMaw! I'm over here! The one laughing at your fear of FEMA camps that don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections