Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 PM

957 posts, read 758,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There are verified cases, and convictions. They are easy to find.
OK, Find them. Find just one verified case of voter fraud that would have been prevented with voter ID.

I think it's safe to say that there are in all likelihood cases of voter fraud committed through absentee voting. Let me ask again, since there are "VERIFIED" cases and "CONVICTIONS" of voter fraud through absentee voting, why haven't these same Republican led legislatures passed legislation to stop absentee voting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
OK, Find them. Find just one verified case of voter fraud that would have been prevented with voter ID.

I think it's safe to say that there are in all likelihood cases of voter fraud committed through absentee voting. Let me ask again, since there are "VERIFIED" cases and "CONVICTIONS" of voter fraud through absentee voting, why haven't these same Republican led legislatures passed legislation to stop absentee voting?
There is no evidence that "in all likelihood cases of voter fraud committed through absentee voting"...this is just your opinion.

Google ACORN and voter fraud convictions. That should satisfy you.

Why are you so opposed to citizens proving they are who they say they are in addition to being eligible to vote?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:04 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
My father-in-law voluntarily turned in his driver's license and now has two forms of picture ID, state ID and VA ID.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My father-in-law voluntarily turned in his driver's license and now has two forms of picture ID, state ID and VA ID.
What the hell!?

He must be wealthy!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
We should need a photo id, and I'd also like to see LESS absentee voting allowed. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
1 case of voter fraud is too many.
Agreed. However, how much effort do you think we should spend trying to find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It is being addressed. There were cases of people voting through absentees then going to their district and voting again. They are looking at ways to cross check between absentees and showing up at the polls. Haven't heard much about it in a while.
Who is "they"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
If I were homeless and wanted to vote you could bet your butt I'd be able to wrangle up the miniscule fee for an ID.

What's next, dogs can't vote?
I'm sure you have a lot of experience with being homeless. And the point is: why should you have to PAY to vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thats my fault.....you lost your original birth certificate?

Well, here....I suggest that for 1 month you decide to NOT have internet and buy your official copy.

Certified Birth Certificates and Passports for you.
I don't think these fees are "minimal".

State Name: Pennsylvania
Average Processing Times in Business Days:
Express 8-10 days, Emergency 6-7 days or Regular 40-50 days
State Fees:
Regular Processing $20
Express & Emergency Processing $38
Express & Emergency Processing include overnight shipping (trackable) once issued. Regular Processing is shipped US Mail (not trackable).

Additional Requirements for online orders:
Shipping address must match credit card billing address as well as the address on the state issued identification card or drivers license. The credit card MUST be in the certificate holders name, mother or father's name ONLY. V- code required for credit card.

(From your link)

Note for regular processing, you really have to plan ahead! Knowing Pennsylvania as I do, 60 days would be within the realm of "40-50".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the issue is why the law is made now, and not years ago.

there are political reasons to do it now. back then they had no political reason to do it, which is why they didnt.

amazed at the sheep believing are "trusted politicians" just want to look out for us.
There was no political reason back in the 60s, when Kennedy was accused of having "stolen" the election from Nixon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A PO box.
Which you have to pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I know quite a few people that if they didn't drive they could function without ID. They don't drink/smoke. They have direct deposit. They buy cars with cash. They don't fly or do anything that requires ID. I myself fit in that catergory. I do need ID so I can sign up SS and Medicare.
To tell you the truth, I am rarely asked for ID. Once in a while, someone wants to see it with a credit card, and once in a while at the bank, if I'm taking out money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Then get rid of something else that will cost $17....

Whats stupid is your telling everyone that you work but $17 is out of your range to buy?
The point is you shouldn't have to pay $17 to vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think that an involved citizenry is important.

My party has nothing to do with it.

The fact is, there have been many issues with voter fraud in certain districts.

Don't you want that stopped?
Please provide an example of "many issues".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There are verified cases, and convictions. They are easy to find.
Let's see 'em!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:13 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What the hell!?

He must be wealthy!
Yep, before moving in with us he was living in his parent's two bedroom home (he's 86 years old).

Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We should need a photo id, and I'd also like to see LESS absentee voting allowed. It is a disaster waiting to happen.
Who do we deny the right to vote?
Service members overseas or at sea?
All citizens return to the country for 1 day?
Absentee ballots need not be a danger. The day of electronic voting is here. We can require ballots to be filed 2 weeks earlier. When ballots are collected that name is now not allowed to vote again. Open the ballots at the normal time.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Here's a liberal arguing....

Me..."you need ID to vote."

Lib..."I don't have it. That's unfair!"

Me..."They will give you one free at the DMV."

Lib..."I don't drive. That's unfair."

Me..."Take a bus."

Lib...."That cost's money! That's unfair!"

Me..."Walk or get a friend to drive you."

Lib..."I can't walk that far....none of my friends drive. That's unfair."

Me..."You can do it online."

Lib..."I don't have internet. That's unfair!"

Me...."Do it over the phone."

Lib..."I don't have a phone. That's unfair!"

Me....I guess you can't vote!"

Lib...."What about my rights!? That's unfair!"

Libs tend to have a "Whoa is me, that's unfair!" answer for everything.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Let's see 'em!
Just google "voter fraud convictions 2010"

Here's one article that popped up:

The voter fraud hall of shame: Milwaukee voter fraud conviction makes ACORN
Yet another former ACORN employee was convicted of voter fraud last week. This brings the total number of convictions for former workers from the embattled group to at least 15 so far this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections