Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Here's a start. TURN IT OFF!
Easy for me, tell that to the many posters here that cannot post without videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Easy for me, tell that to the many posters here that cannot post without videos.
LoL, don't think video is the issue more like MCM media. Content is important and humans are largely visual.

There is a reason it is called "programming".

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,220,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Why don't you quit generalizing?

I know a lot of young adults who think that Romney or Obama are the best things to happen to this country; who have no grasp or knowledge of Constitutional applications, and who simply don't care about the wars as long as they have their Starbucks and Whole Food stores, their next unemployment or Welfare check and their EBT card.

I also am in league with people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, yes and 70s too, who have always supported and voted for Ron Paul, who have traveled the country to stand for him at rallies, who blog incessantly about him and encourage others to investigate him. Veterans, radio personalities, lawyers, business owners, yes and some politicians who think that Ron Paul is the only logical and Constitutional answer. They are not whacko Conspiracy Theorists or right-wingnuts. Some are TeaPartiers and some are Occupiers. All know that there is something wrong and that only taking America back to its Constitutional Republic roots will fix it.
I didn't say that there weren't older adults who are Ron Paul supporters, but it's a far cry from those who support who the media tells them to.

Looking at cross-sections of the voting public, older adults consistently vote for the Republican candidate who the media parades as the front runner, while younger adults split their vote, with often the candidate advocating for the least government leading the pack.

You can call it a generalization, but it is what it is.

You're also correct about liberal young adults. They're about as ignorant as they come. However, conservative young adults seem to be the most informed with respect to the Constitution and our historic founding.

I've spoken with many boomers and older adults, and they all seem to not like Ron Paul because of his foreign policy views. I believe this stems from a disconnect with the Constitution, the result of ignorance. I also believe that they happened to grow up in a time of extreme American exceptionalism, or lived during the height of it, the result of the after-effects of World War II, and they believe that war brings with it stability. After all, following WWII, the U.S. was the only major economic player in the world. The U.S. had defeated the Germans and Japanese, and they saw it as the end of evil empires and the success of U.S. military might which led to stability and ultimately a good economy.

The problem with this view is:

1) Today's wars have not been congressionally declared, like WW2 and previous wars. In fact, we haven't really won a war since.

2) This views stands in stark contrast to the U.S. Constitution and what our founding fathers advocated (non-intervention with the exception of defense).

3) The world is a vastly different place today. Other countries have the ability to be more on-par with the U.S. Getting into conflicts isn't as likely to have as great a desired result.

4) We are no longer on a gold standard. Thus, any war expenditures must be financed through the issuance of greater federal reserve notes which causes inflation and a further devaluing of the currency.

5) We are fighting unknown enemies, not countries with militaries of their own. You can't fight an ideology with an army, when most people within a said population have that ideology. If you take one down, more will rise up. This only creates greater hostility.

For some reason, many boomers and older Americans seem to act like the year is 1961, and that American might can and will do anything. Considering that we haven't won a war since World War 2, and considering that we are only getting weaker, economically, it's time to put this type of foreign policy to a rest. It's also not very moral to invade another nation which hasn't attacked you. This only breeds greater hostility.

It is far safer to have a strong military with our borders and coastline guarded, than to inter-meddle into other nation's affairs. This allows us the best defense to protect the homeland. It also saves money, helps prevent a lot of currency devaluing, and allows us to be stronger economically, which helps the people here at home. It also makes us safer, for lack of involvement will lessen other people's desires to attack us, or for them to dislike us. What we are doing now is dangerous and opens us up to attack and perhaps will bankrupt us.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
I think you make some good points about older people. I am sorry when I see it also. Many indicate things cannot change and are not interested in change. They think the future is w/ others and are busy w/ retirement recreationing and "dancing w/ the stars".

They also unfortunately do seem to think the US warmongering is wonderful w/ us as the great protectors. (I find this view extremely naive.)

I am afraid more think this way than not.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,765,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I didn't say that there weren't older adults who are Ron Paul supporters, but it's a far cry from those who support who the media tells them to.

Looking at cross-sections of the voting public, older adults consistently vote for the Republican candidate who the media parades as the front runner, while younger adults split their vote, with often the candidate advocating for the least government leading the pack.

You can call it a generalization, but it is what it is.

You're also correct about liberal young adults. They're about as ignorant as they come. However, conservative young adults seem to be the most informed with respect to the Constitution and our historic founding.

I've spoken with many boomers and older adults, and they all seem to not like Ron Paul because of his foreign policy views. I believe this stems from a disconnect with the Constitution, the result of ignorance. I also believe that they happened to grow up in a time of extreme American exceptionalism, or lived during the height of it, the result of the after-effects of World War II, and they believe that war brings with it stability. After all, following WWII, the U.S. was the only major economic player in the world. The U.S. had defeated the Germans and Japanese, and they saw it as the end of evil empires and the success of U.S. military might which led to stability and ultimately a good economy.

The problem with this view is:

1) Today's wars have not been congressionally declared, like WW2 and previous wars. In fact, we haven't really won a war since.

2) This views stands in stark contrast to the U.S. Constitution and what our founding fathers advocated (non-intervention with the exception of defense).

3) The world is a vastly different place today. Other countries have the ability to be more on-par with the U.S. Getting into conflicts isn't as likely to have as great a desired result.

4) We are no longer on a gold standard. Thus, any war expenditures must be financed through the issuance of greater federal reserve notes which causes inflation and a further devaluing of the currency.

5) We are fighting unknown enemies, not countries with militaries of their own. You can't fight an ideology with an army, when most people within a said population have that ideology. If you take one down, more will rise up. This only creates greater hostility.

For some reason, many boomers and older Americans seem to act like the year is 1961, and that American might can and will do anything. Considering that we haven't won a war since World War 2, and considering that we are only getting weaker, economically, it's time to put this type of foreign policy to a rest. It's also not very moral to invade another nation which hasn't attacked you. This only breeds greater hostility.

It is far safer to have a strong military with our borders and coastline guarded, than to inter-meddle into other nation's affairs. This allows us the best defense to protect the homeland. It also saves money, helps prevent a lot of currency devaluing, and allows us to be stronger economically, which helps the people here at home. It also makes us safer, for lack of involvement will lessen other people's desires to attack us, or for them to dislike us. What we are doing now is dangerous and opens us up to attack and perhaps will bankrupt us.
Quote:
I think you make some good points about older people. I am sorry when I see it also. Many indicate things cannot change and are not interested in change. They think the future is w/ others and are busy w/ retirement recreationing and "dancing w/ the stars".

They also unfortunately do seem to think the US warmongering is wonderful w/ us as the great protectors. (I find this view extremely naive.)

Yes great points ... I also wanted to add that there is a deeper aspect to this polarization that is happening between the elderly and the youth ... there is a more importat cause for the disconnect, and we can see that it has historically been a problem for humanity in general.

It has to do with greed, and a lack of personal responsibility that literally is criminal when one looks closely.

Many of the elderly seemed to be so concerned with their national ego's and their welfare police state to tell them what is good and bad and to protect them from everything they don't understand, that they are willing to sacrifice the futures of their own children and their children's children in order to hold onto the delusion of the "American dream" they have been programmed to believe in. It literally is the modern day version of the Kenites who used to sacrifice their children in the fires of Moloch in order to ensure a good harvest in the coming years. In like manner many Of Americas elderly sacrifice their descendants to the false Gods of mammon(debt/money) and war.

They don't even realize that their welfare state is broke and that the money they may have paid into it is gone and that the only way to even begin to honor those liabilities is to take the money from somewhere else that can be cut without hurting Americans, and that is over seas most of all among other places, yet these people continue to allow the military industrial complex and the MSM which it controls to deceive them and make them believe that we not only can afford another 10 year war wherein hundreds of thousands will die, but that it is in our own nations best interest and that it is our righteous patriotic duty.

That is the reason for the drug war as well, which is just a race war and a class war in reality sponsored by the cartels and the BIG pharma corps., and a way to control the poor and the minorities and keep them locked up in jail or out of sight in some government subsidized project that's falling apart due to lack of maintenance and high crime where their only hope to escape the hood is an act of God or becoming a gang banger and selling drugs and sex on the streets. The whole time these giant private prison systems pop up all over America and capitalize off the injustices of it all and ultimately at the tax payers expense ... This "war on drugs" is in fact one of the biggest racquets and false flag operations ever enacted on the human race in history.

This in fact is a moral and spiritual malaise which is a sign of national degradation and the corrosion of social ethical standards and values that can and will ultimately only end up one way ... the same way every civilization ends up when it starts doing the things we do here in America today.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-18-2012 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 AM

791 posts, read 461,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Yes great points ... I also wanted to add that there is a deeper aspect to this polarization that is happening between the elderly and the youth ... there is a more importat cause for the disconnect, and we can see that it has historically been a problem for humanity in general.

It has to do with greed, and a lack of personal responsibility that literally is criminal when one looks closely.

Many of the elderly seemed to be so concerned with their national ego's and their welfare police state to tell them what is good and bad and to protect them from everything they don't understand, that they are willing to sacrifice the futures of their own children and their children's children in order to hold onto the delusion of the "American dream" they have been programmed to believe in. It literally is the modern day version of the Kenites who used to sacrifice their children in the fires of Moloch in order to ensure a good harvest in the coming years. In like manner many Of Americas elderly sacrifice their descendants to the false Gods of mammon(debt/money) and war.

They don't even realize that their welfare state is broke and that the money they may have paid into it is gone and that the only way to even begin to honor those liabilities is to take the money from somewhere else that can be cut without hurting Americans, and that is over seas most of all among other places, yet these people continue to allow the military industrial complex and the MSM which it controls to deceive them and make them believe that we not only can afford another 10 year war wherein hundreds of thousands will die, but that it is in our own nations best interest and that it is our righteous patriotic duty.

That is the reason for the drug war as well, which is just a race war and a class war in reality sponsored by the cartels and the BIG pharma corps., and a way to control the poor and the minorities and keep them locked up in jail or out of sight in some government subsidized project that's falling apart due to lack of maintenance and high crime where their only hope to escape the hood is an act of God or becoming a gang banger and selling drugs and sex on the streets. The whole time these giant private prison systems pop up all over America and capitalize off the injustices of it all and ultimately at the tax payers expense ... This "war on drugs" is in fact one of the biggest racquets and false flag operations ever enacted on the human race in history.

This in fact is a moral and spiritual malaise which is a sign of national degradation and the corrosion of social ethical standards and values that can and will ultimately only end up one way ... the same way every civilization ends up when it starts doing the things we do here in America today.
"Even so, come..."

Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:

As an "older person" I take issue with the assumptions about us. I read an article about Paul's support among young voters, particularly males. Some think, and I agree, that Paul's simplistic ideas appeal to people w/o a lot of worldly experience.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,297,647 times
The topic of this thread seems to have changed since I last looked.

Maybe some older people are more satisfied with the borrowing and spending (printing and spending, juggling and spending) because they figure it won't come due until they're gone. They also can't see that the romanticized view of the United States they grew up with is not reality today. (This applies to many young people, too.)

(I'm middle-aged. I will vote for Paul, as will my father.)

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As an "older person" I take issue with the assumptions about us. I read an article about Paul's support among young voters, particularly males. Some think, and I agree, that Paul's simplistic ideas appeal to people w/o a lot of worldly experience.
It takes "worldly experience" to think that drone bombing and killing 50 innocent civilians for evey intended target curbs terrorism and promotes peace?

It takes "worldly experience" to think that having over 900 bases in 130 countries promotes NATIONAL security?

Strange world we live in...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
I did not say anything about those issues. It does take worldly experience, or perhaps a human heart, to know that devolving "private property rights" down to it being OK to put up a "No Blacks" sign on your business, is an over-reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections