Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,752,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Exactly!

This was my first thought upon hearing his statement...so, you don't want to help the poor better themselves? You think the poor are happy being poor?

Romney wouldn't know poor if he tripped over it, he is so far removed...

How do you help people too ignorant to help themselves? People are poor because they want to be. They have no ambition and prefer to live hand to mouth.

We already provide for their housing, food, and healthcare. 90% of the things that prevent them from getting out of poverty are already taken care of by the taxpayers. All they have to do is get out of bed, put down the crack pipe, and apply themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,552,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Every Liberal on this forum should stand up and admit this whole ruckus is promulgated by a Leftist Media that insists on taking Mitt Romney's words out of context.

The question is: Will they decry this type of journalism? Or will they remain mum?

Remain mum, the same as when a Democrat comment is taken out of Context and the right pounce on it?

I didn't take his comment out of context, I just didn't see it as others. The fact that Mitt stated clearly that the current entitlements are fine as is and if they needed to be fixed he will do just that. Well I asked this question yesterday and not a one of you typical liberal haters answered. Doesn't that statement made by Romney clearly go against the Conservatives values and talking points when it comes to entitlements? Why not speak to that instead of giving him a pass and focusing on comments made by liberals?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,675,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I see the Lefties just moved the goal posts on this thread.
How so?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
So Romney would fix the net instead of freeing the occupant, would you like to live in a net?

Thats what I picked up on as well. The fact that their deflecting by claiming his comment about "not caring about poor people" was out of context, that part I agree on, it was taken out of context. What wasn't out of context was his belief that there's nothing wrong with the current entitlements. Why haven't they said anything about that. LMAO...This is too funny.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How do you help people too ignorant to help themselves? People are poor because they want to be. They have no ambition and prefer to live hand to mouth.

We already provide for their housing, food, and healthcare. 90% of the things that prevent them from getting out of poverty are already taken care of by the taxpayers. All they have to do is get out of bed, put down the crack pipe, and apply themselves.

This has to be the most ignorant and bias statement about a class of people you know absolutely nothing about. Its funny though, isn't it the Republicans contention that Liberals and the President are creating class warfar. Seems like you and others have declared war a long time ago.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,711,234 times
Quote:
Every Liberal on this forum should stand up and admit this whole ruckus is promulgated by a Leftist Media that insists on taking Mitt Romney's words out of context.

The question is: Will they decry this type of journalism? Or will they remain mum?
I think Romney is showing himself at not being a well skilled politician. Perhaps he will continue to hurt himself by showing his skill of not thinking before speaking.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,441,819 times
Quote:

This isn't "leftist media", it's just media. They sensationalize in order to sell. This is nothing new and they would have done the same thing to a Dem that had made that statement.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,962,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yesterday, Mitt made the following statement:

"I'm not concerned about the very poor," Romney said. "There's a safety net there, and if it needs repair I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the heart of America, the 95% of Americans who are right now struggling."

Romney says ‘poor’ comment needs context – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Romney expressed a valid point...we have a great many safety nets for the very poor...Medicaid, Section 8, Food Stamps, School Lunch program, WIC, etc, etc. He addresses the issue that many, including many here, express concern over. Specifically the vast majority of people that work for a living and are squeezed by expenses, ect, who make too much to get something from the government.

Yet many in the media and on the left (and the less bright of his GOP competition) seize on the "not concerned about the very poor" comment and take it out of context. How weak-minded are these people? Are they unable to comprehend anything beyond one sentence sound bites? Are they unable to comprehend a simple sentence and context?

This has been on NPR for the last two days, as well as other media sources. Get a frickin' life and learn to read, people, you look like idiots.

BTW, I'm NOT a Romney supporter.
Well, why not? He too liberal for you or something? You know, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I see that you have the same attitude so typical on this forum. The poor are living like kings at the expense of the middle class. If you studied the analysis and reporting put out by non-partisan think tanks like the Center for Budget and Policy Analysis, among others, you would discover that the situation of America's poor is pretty desperate. And every single program that was created to help them get back on their feet is under attack.

And my, what a short little memory you have. Remember when Congress was dead locked less than 2 months ago? Remember how the problem was that the Republicans refused to allow any spending on social programs? Was Romney there at the forefront rallying the troops in favor of maintaining the rapidly shredding social safety net? Hint: No.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM

24,458 posts, read 23,152,383 times
I just think its laughable now that Obama has suddenly found religion now that the campaign is getting underway and he's so concerned about the poor. The way he lives, he gives Trump and Romney nothing to feel guilty about.
Tonite on MSNBC Chris Matthews was particularly obnoxious and smarmy with his comments about it. If anybody thought he was serious they'd throw a net over him.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,441,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I just think its laughable now that Obama has suddenly found religion now that the campaign is getting underway and he's so concerned about the poor. The way he lives, he gives Trump and Romney nothing to feel guilty about.
Tonite on MSNBC Chris Matthews was particularly obnoxious and smarmy with his comments about it. If anybody thought he was serious they'd throw a net over him.

"The way he lives" ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections