Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Wow. A lot of people here are obsessed with money.
More like they ar eobsessed with other peoples money, Just read a post from one who thinks a 62 dollar garage apartment had 7000 square feet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
So you think the first ladies should lead a speech on the economy?

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 AM

37,173 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Only if all the businessess who made a fortune off their purchases give them their money back.

I wouldn't expect a dem to understand, though, that a convention is a wonderful thing for local economy. Nor would I expect a dem to understand that taxes paid by those local businesses paid the salaries of the public security (if in fact it is public security).
Then why didn't they pool together and pay for their own security, since they are the ones who benefitted? Why filter it through the inefficient Federal Government that is too big already? They want it both ways- Personalize profits and socialize debits.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 AM

272 posts, read 229,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you think the first ladies should lead a speech on the economy?
No, but I do believe her goal was to humanize her husband and show people a side of him they've never seen. She didn't really say anything new, and she had a lot of opportunity to give examples of how he cares about people -- for instance, she could have gone into detail about how he helped her during her MS and breast cancer, gave the audience examples.

I don't think she did enough to move his likeability. I suppose she did enough to move her's.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Anne Romney knows what it's like for women who don't have a choice

Oh? Then why is she and her husband against abortion, they want to take away women's freedom to choose.

They are Anti-Choice for other women.

Why don't they have hundreds of adopted kids? You know, the Repug's cure all for abortion, adopting all those "precious gifts".

A woman who can spend 40 grand on her horse's birthday party has NO idea what normal, middle class or poor women go through and for her to pretend she does made her look like an idiot.

I'd like Ann to show her medical records proving she can't have more children ...otherwise , is she on BIRTH CONTROL??? Just curious.....

Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is incredibly illustrative of how Ann Romney is pathetically lacking.

And, making a drastic choice to change to a non-mainstream religion, means she very badly wanted to be part of the Romney dynasty, knowing it would make her life easier. Obviously, at that time, she couldn't predict cancer nor MS. But she could predict a charmed life.
I want whatever you libs are smoking.

Thinking she married Mitt for money? How sad you don't see the love and partnership they share. I'm thinking she chose Mitt because she thought her life would be easier, but not for the gold digging reasons the left thinks. Her life was easier because she knew she had someone that would stay committed to her. That would support her through sickness and in health. That would be a great dad. That would be a wonderful provider.

For the record, there was NO WAY she could have predicted her "charmed financial life" any more than she could have her health issues. But she could predict in general the sort of life she would have. After all, she married a man of character. As contrasted to John Edwards, whose wife married the same sort of young man, but lived a far different life.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
No, but Pelosi is/was in a very powerful position with direct influence on legislation so how can she be trusted to know what's best for average women?

There are a lot of things that make a person average. Finances are one, but life is about more than money. She raised 5 kids and loves them. She has the same concerns for her kids that other women have. She wants them to have a good education, good health etc. She may be able to pay for it easier, but she understands the importance and concern. She has been diagnosed with significant illness which is a concern average people face. She has done charitable work in inner-cities - which probably isn't average.
And I have a profound respect for Ann Romney and the challenges she has met and overcome. I have a great deal of respect for Mitt Romney. He is clearly intelligent and capable. But if, as a candidate, you're going to say you understand the challenges the average American woman faces, that your wife provides you insight into those challenges, then it would be best if she really could provide such insights. I'm sure Ann can provide many insights into women's issues. And I agree with you that life is about more than money. But the fact is, the less you have of money, the more your life is about money. And the more money you have, the less your life is about money. Ann Romney has never lived in a home where there was a lack of money. The average American woman, AVERAGE American woman, does worry about money, and it colors every aspect of her life. From the choices she makes at the grocery store, to putting off fixing the roof because the car needs new tires, from going without insurance in order to pay the rent, for AVERAGE middle-class Americans, life is about choices, and the choices are largely dictated by finances.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And I have a profound respect for Ann Romney and the challenges she has met and overcome. I have a great deal of respect for Mitt Romney. He is clearly intelligent and capable. But if, as a candidate, you're going to say you understand the challenges the average American woman faces, that your wife provides you insight into those challenges, then it would be best if she really could provide such insights. I'm sure Ann can provide many insights into women's issues. And I agree with you that life is about more than money. But the fact is, the less you have of money, the more your life is about money. And the more money you have, the less your life is about money. Ann Romney has never lived in a home where there was a lack of money. The average American woman, AVERAGE American woman, does worry about money, and it colors every aspect of her life. From the choices she makes at the grocery store, to putting off fixing the roof because the car needs new tires, from going without insurance in order to pay the rent, for AVERAGE middle-class Americans, life is about choices, and the choices are largely dictated by finances.
I have no respect at all for Ann or Mittens. But the rest of this paragraph is true. If most Americans got breast cancer or MS it would be a complete nightmare financially. No dancing horses for us. Ann does not get that and neither does her husband. Worse, both of them want to funnel money for treating those conditions so that people like Mitt and Ann can pay less in taxes.

She just does not get it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
You know I like this post not because I agree with it but for the reason it stated a rational point of thinking without calling people morons and a lot of other hateful statements being spewed here.

I disagree with it but it is a respectable.
Thank you. I think when people start calling other people names, that the people on the other side of the disagreement just shut down. I know that I shut down when people call me names. And I'm trying to engage in a conversation here. Also RGGR is one of the most reasonable people who posts regularly on the political forum. His posts are overwhelmingly thoughtful and en pointe, so I would never have any reason to call him names or make hateful statements to him.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That is certainly true. A few questions:
Do you think you have to have had the exact experience of a person to be able to help them?
Do you think you have to have had the same experience to be able to understand that their experience is frightening/stressful/heartbreaking for them?
Looking back over recent political history, do you think this would be a topic if she were a Democrat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections