Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I can just see backpedalling starting right now. We are giving blacks “free stuff”? Blacks ain’t gonna like that. This is what happens when you try to fake it. First he walks back anchor babies and in the process offends Asians, then he disses multiculturalism right after speaking Spanish and now this. I guarantee they are working on a “clarification” as we speak. Poor Ana Navaro. She has to cover for him once more.

Jeb Bush says Dems lure black voters with 'free stuff' - CNNPolitics.com

Obviously, Bush better start giving tons of stuff away. His appeal isn't drawing fly's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Where's a Kanye West interruption when you need one?

"Jeb Bush doesn't care about black people."

Old 09-26-2015, 01:24 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
I can't tell who wants to be Romney more, Jeb or Fiorina.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Give you a break? I would if you stopped posting left wing sources.

Bush's comment was in response to a question asking how Republicans can win more of the black vote in upcoming presidential elections. He wasn't asked about other minorities. He was asked specifically about the black vote. But hey, don't let me stand in the way of your spinning the story into something that it's not. Spin away...
The Washington Post is a left wing source? Give me a break

And he was asked about how the Republicans can win more of the black vote, and he whiffed. Big Time.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:59 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The Washington Post is a left wing source? Give me a break

And he was asked about how the Republicans can win more of the black vote, and he whiffed. Big Time.
Basically.

Most black people aren't on welfare, ESPECIALLY black people who actually vote. It is the widespread belief among blacks that Republicans believe most black people are "lazy mooching drug selling welfare cheating bums" that keep black people from taking the Republican Party seriously in the first place. If you are asked about winning black folks over, I can't think of a worse thing he could say.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh give me a break. People of any ethnicity and race who are eligible can quality for and do receive benefits for social programs.

Sounds like what Jeb said when he first ran for governor of Florida- when he was asked what he could offer to the black voter, he said "probably nothing."

Hey Jeb, if you want more than 10% of the black vote, maybe not insulting black people might be a start.

Why Jeb Bush’s ‘free stuff’ argument about black voters is so off-the-mark - The Washington Post

Jeb sells himself short, I think his "probably nothing" response applies to more than just black voters.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
"We don't understand why blacks won't vote for Republicans!!" laments the GOP. And the sad truth is, they probably truly don't understand.

I think the OP is right, Bush is going to be working overtime to backpedal after throwing out the knee-jerk red meat response to elicit the cheers of the far right. Backpedaling Bush's words must be a full time staffer job. Maybe two.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:25 AM

609 posts, read 505,940 times
Yea ... all Blacks are on welfare...
I'm currently typing from my free computer (thank you Hussein Obama), using my free Time Warner Cable (thanks you Michele Obama). My free phone was given to me by Bill Clinton. I went to public (free) school (my parents couldn't afford to send me to private school). I have a job that pays me good money ... but I like free stuff ...

Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This is my theory on this whole debacle regarding the Republican Party and Black votes.

Neither party really cares about Black votes, or Blacks. The difference is this. Many Democratic politicians will say whatever they think Blacks want to hear, and take their votes for granted. There are Republican politicians, on the other hand, who will either not reach out to Black voters, or make accusations of Blacks wanting free stuff.
If the Republican Party wants Black votes, stop bringing up the subject of "free stuff". Talk about improving the schools, making the neighborhoods safer, creating businesses and jobs, making the schools better, making sure rights are respected. Approaching Blacks as if they are a burden is no way to get Black votes.

Look at this article on how John Kasich did well among Blacks: Bloomberg Politics

Now, Kasich just might blow it with this comment: Kasich to black voters: Don't be a one-party group | The Columbus Dispatch

Talk about what you are going to do, not talk AT people.

Another take is this. There are politicians, and political strategists who talk about "get the White vote". Some people might look at it as "we can win without the Black vote". And it has worked. Former President Bush Jr got elected twice with very few Black votes. And it's worked more times than not, since 1980.
1980: Republican
1984: Republican
1988: Republican
1992: Democrat
1996: Democrat
2000: Republican
2004: Republican
2008: Democrat
2012: Democrat

I would also surmise this. Another theory as to why some Republicans might not reach out to Blacks(without talking down to them or making some other gaffe) is because of certain attitudes. There is probably a segment that looks at Blacks, not as votes, but as a burden. It might be looked at as "Blacks are 12.5% of the population, but half of the violent crime perps in America, lowest test scores, highest rate of imprisonment, highest rate of welfare use, highest out of wedlock birth rates, who needs their vote? Better yet,what good are Blacks as a whole?". If anything, there could be a candidate who could take all of those statistics, and use it to pit everyone against Blacks. I'm not saying

Now, I was only playing devil's advocate, and I was just noting a scenario that could exist. I'm not saying this will happen. It's merely a theory. Do I think this is a right way to look at people? No. If you want votes, you reach out to people, not talk down to them. There are Blacks who have conservative values. A large number of Blacks aren't for same sex marriage.

There is something else of note. The number of Blacks indentifying as Democrat has actually dropped since 2000. So has the number of Blacks identifying as Republican. Black identifying as Independent, however, has increased.

My point is this. The Black voting population is not really cared about by either part, in my opinion. One party ignores Blacks, the other party gives lip service but not enough results.

I also want to point something out. There are far more Blacks in the professional ranks, middle class, with college diplomas, and more Black millionaires and billionaires than in the times before the LBJ administration. Many people will try and point to Johnson as the demise of the Black population. This does not take into account the large numbers of middle class Blacks, professional Blacks, and the college educated Blacks, who do vote Democrat. It does not take into account that the largest segment of the unemployed Blacks are also among the underclass. The middle class has grown alot since the 1960s. Number of Blacks with a college education, with professional jobs, it has grown considerably since the 1960s.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Jeb should have just said young people want free stuff. It would be a bit more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections