Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times

Advertisements

Using the words "free stuff" in that way was like a dog whistle term to get fans of Trump's attention. Bush doesn't care if it offends hardworking Democrats if it brings some of Trump's fans over to the Bush camp for a second look and keeps him in the primaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Republicans only open their mouth to change feet. Then they scratch their collective heads wondering what happened. No wonder they are called the STUPID party.....

Old 09-26-2015, 11:48 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Using the words "free stuff" in that way was like a dog whistle term to get fans of Trump's attention. Bush doesn't care if it offends hardworking Democrats if it brings some of Trump's fans over to the Bush camp for a second look and keeps him in the primaries.
Trump fans are not going to be swayed by a "dog whistle”. They know who Jeb is. He might need a foghorn.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Dems buy minority votes with welfare programs, cradle to grave. Bush is offering a message of "hope and aspiration," the complete opposite of Obama and now Bernie Sanders.
Consider the source. CNN, really?
Funny those same "cradle to grave" programs benefit white voters so it seems a bit far fetched that this is the hook for black voters but not white ones as well?

Of course Republicans like Jeb, never mention the real reason that African Americans vote religiously for the Democratic Party because the conversation would have to turn on the reason why Democrats steadfastly defend the existence and activities of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Fair Housing Act Enforcement Activity, the Voting Rights Act, and the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Justice Department and why the Republican Party is just as steadfast in their efforts to hobble or destroy those government agencies. They would also have to discuss why unlike the Democrats they fail to point judges to all levels of the federal judiciary who are dedicated to enforcing those laws and the enforcement efforts of those agencies.

That is why Republicans prefer to harp on welfare and "free stuff."

Now if Republicans were serious about attracting African American voters, they could become the party for aggressive enforcement of existing civil rights laws. They could fully fund the Office of Civil Rights, HUD, and the EEOC. They could aggressively support the expansion of the Voter Rights Act instead of aggressively restricting the right of "likely" Democratic voters. In short if they returned to the Republican Party of 1865 to 1877 that they constantly taut, they could very possibly change the demographics of their party. In fact if the Republican party vigorously attack discrimination in housing and employment they could possibly bring an end to free stuff all together or at least make a sincere argument against them.

But that isn't what the Republican Party is about.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:13 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
On last point.

I spent a great deal of time with Jeb and he is a smart and thoughtful guy, unfortunately his glibness doesn't have functioning filter. When he first ran for governor of Florida he was asked by a plant, "what was he going to do for black people." to which he responded, "nothing." Before too long of a pause launching into a credible, "a rising tide lifts all boats" argument. At the time that election was free of the black white divide, it obviously wasn't thereafter. This latest gaff places him in the same predicament that he was then. The sound bite from here until election date will be, blacks only vote for free stuff and in so doing has permanently cast himself as Romney 2.0. And no amount of backpedaling or retelling, spinning, clarification is going to change that. Jeb is dead for 2016.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Like it or not Jebs gonna be around till the end of the primary season.

Hope he is not the nominee but i'll still vote for him over any scumbag Democrat.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:59 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I can just see backpedalling starting right now. We are giving blacks “free stuff”? Blacks ain’t gonna like that. This is what happens when you try to fake it. First he walks back anchor babies and in the process offends Asians, then he disses multiculturalism right after speaking Spanish and now this. I guarantee they are working on a “clarification” as we speak. Poor Ana Navaro. She has to cover for him once more.

Jeb Bush says Dems lure black voters with 'free stuff' - CNNPolitics.com
This will cost him the election, this is his 47% comment. It also damages the Republican Party. It might get him the nomination, but mark my words he would not win the general election.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:32 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Look. Black people, on average, tend to be pretty poor. And live in very impoverished neighborhoods and towns. There are very high rates of single parenthood and teenage pregnancy. I've lived in a neighborhood that had a lot of section 8 housing in it. A good portion of the people who lived in those units, and all public housing units for that matter, were black. All of these things suggest that a lot of black people will want government largesse. Those are just the facts. I don't see the point in denying it.
Nope. The black poverty rate is somewhere around 25%. It's disproportionately high, but the average black household is not poor. I do believe the biggest group is working class followed by middle class but that might have changed lately, I have to look it up.

The teen pregnancy rate is at historic lows as well, and even then most of the births are to 17-19 year olds. Again it is still disproportionately high but no where near "most" black teens have babies.

The only correct statement you made was about single motherhood rates.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This will cost him the election, this is his 47% comment. It also damages the Republican Party. It might get him the nomination, but mark my words he would not win the general election.
This is a great opening for Trump. I am surprised he has not tweeted yet. Republicans have tried calling some blacks free loaders and welfare queens. Trump can try his approach. Tell blacks he is going to bring them jobs at the shuttered factories they walk past every day. Democrats have offered them nothing more than roach infested housing and a meager livelihood and they still get their vote. They are low hanging fruit ready to be picked off. How incompetent can you be?

Old 09-26-2015, 02:47 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Nope. The black poverty rate is somewhere around 25%. It's disproportionately high, but the average black household is not poor. I do believe the biggest group is working class followed by middle class but that might have changed lately, I have to look it up.

The teen pregnancy rate is at historic lows as well, and even then most of the births are to 17-19 year olds. Again it is still disproportionately high but no where near "most" black teens have babies.

The only correct statement you made was about single motherhood rates.
In addition, the Black middle class has seen alot of growth since the 1960s. More Blacks with college education than ever. According to one statistic, Black-owned businesses are seeing an increase. If the Republicans want to attract more Blacks, start with the middle class, and the middle upper class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections