Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Why do I assume that - because I hear it constantly...on NPR, political radio stations, television channels, friends, random people. Yet, because of the social norm that we only have two "legitimate" parties...voting outside of that is *insert whatever bs excuse you want*.

If people want change, stop voting for the establishment.
If you want change, you're going to have to do more than just stop voting for the establishment. You're going to have to dismantle, state by state, the laws that give the two-party system an advantage. You're going to have to get states to throw out the winner-take-all laws that solidify the two parties' advantage, you're going to have to get states to change the restrictive ballot laws that make it so difficult for parties other than the two major parties to even get on the ballot. You're going to have to work for one or more of those third parties year-round, because these alternative parties need to establish a presence and a legitimacy that they don't have when they only suddenly rear their heads up every four years during a Presidential election. Third parties won't capture a Presidency until they start capturing seats in Congress, positions in state governments. They need consistent platforms over the years to establish an party identity, and they need resources, money and people, to communicate that identity to voters, to raise awareness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
https://www.lp.org/2016-presidential-ballot-access-map
They're on several, more on the way and potential to be on all 50 come November. No other third party comes close to that...which is why they constantly get mentioned by the GOP crowd as the potential train to derail and use to spear their "never Trump" platform. However, I highly doubt the LPC will allow a GOP candidate to just show up and win their nomination.

They need to garner 5% of the general election vote to get a fair share of the federal funding, which is doable in this election - if they market their campaign properly. in 2008, McCain alone received 84 million. The 2012 funding stats haven't been released yet for the general election. This election, it's expected that both establishment parties will receive up to or over 100 million each from federal funding. That's a huge sum for a third party.
Yeah! A revolution is a long process, but by the time Hillary or Trump is done with this country, the LP is going to look like an attractive alternative to more people. A third party is our only hope of breaking up the oligarchy.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 AM

1,100 posts, read 634,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Yeah! A revolution is a long process, but by the time Hillary or Trump is done with this country, the LP is going to look like an attractive alternative to more people. A third party is our only hope of breaking up the oligarchy.
People don't understand that - I don't vote independent/third party because I think they'll win...I'm realistic. But I will vote for third party that has potential to garner 5% or more in the general election and could re-shape and change the political landscape for 2020. When the GOP eventually gives the candidacy to Trump...they've pretty much already secured Sec. Clinton's spot in the WH until 2020.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
I don't know why people continue to support the establishment...yet continue to talk about how it's failed to do what they claimed, other than continually grow the government.
Because it isn't am an option. When the largest third party can't get more than 1% of the national vote, let alone even win a state, it is hard to say the vote you make worth the effort. Should a third party get the money that other parties have it is. It's not that I agree or disagree with the party but it is a wasted vote that could hurt my preferred candidate especially in a swing state. Nader taking Gore voters anyone?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
People don't understand that - I don't vote independent/third party because I think they'll win...I'm realistic. But I will vote for third party that has potential to garner 5% or more in the general election and could re-shape and change the political landscape for 2020. When the GOP eventually gives the candidacy to Trump...they've pretty much already secured Sec. Clinton's spot in the WH until 2020.
And many simply just don't vote that way. Most vote for the lesser of two evils, if not the home team. It is great you don't, but the rest of the people don't. It's just the way it is.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because it isn't am an option. When the largest third party can't get more than 1% of the national vote, let alone even win a state, it is hard to say the vote you make worth the effort. Should a third party get the money that other parties have it is. It's not that I agree or disagree with the party but it is a wasted vote that could hurt my preferred candidate especially in a swing state. Nader taking Gore voters anyone?

Who says? MSM?

You're spewing the same rhetoric that is spewed every general election - yet here we are, Trump vs Sec Clinton and most people are talking about which poison to take in this general election. Sec. Clinton will win in November - given the current political landscape and the fact that the GOP is eventually going to nominate Trump...which the vast majority of liberals despise and a solid core of the GOP base as well. People need to get outside of their tiny box and look ahead and think about the future, vs settling for the "lesser of two evils/a vote for * is a vote for *" garbage.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
And many simply just don't vote that way. Most vote for the lesser of two evils, if not the home team. It is great you don't, but the rest of the people don't. It's just the way it is.
I agree - the majority of people subliminally see the general election as a super bowl and want to be rooting for the winning team.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
But voting for the candidates that are handed to you isn't a democracy, you really do have a choice even though the powers that be can subvert it. Why take the lesser of two evils when you could possibly get a candidate who'll work for you.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM

13,612 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
This...this is what social norming has done to the majority of Americans. They fail to see if they want to change the system..they must vote against it. Yet they won't...because of aforementioned statements and other similar comments, in which have been become so common place...people believe in it.
I didn't say I want to change the system, I was just pointing out the facts. Currently Clinton is projected to win a majority in the electoral college. The only way any other candidate can change that is to win states that she is currently expected to win. I doubt that Johnson could take any of those states.

Romney might be able to take a few, like Florida and Pennsylvania. There is a chance, however, that he could throw some of the Trump states to Hillary, by splitting the Republican vote.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I didn't say I want to change the system, I was just pointing out the facts. Currently Clinton is projected to win a majority in the electoral college. The only way any other candidate can change that is to win states that she is currently expected to win. I doubt that Johnson could take any of those states.

Romney might be able to take a few, like Florida and Pennsylvania. There is a chance, however, that he could throw some of the Trump states to Hillary, by splitting the Republican vote.
Again - for the future of politics...it's not about winning states...it's just about 5% or more of the general election votes, which open up access to federal funding for the general election and increased funding for the convention. The establishment campaigns are each looking at 100 million or more, in funding this year. There's a reason the establishment does what they can to shut down the little guy - ask Gov. Kasich about his Ohio tricks to keep the little guy off the ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections