Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Who says? MSM?

You're spewing the same rhetoric that is spewed every general election - yet here we are, Trump vs Sec Clinton and most people are talking about which poison to take in this general election. Sec. Clinton will win in November - given the current political landscape and the fact that the GOP is eventually going to nominate Trump...which the vast majority of liberals despise and a solid core of the GOP base as well. People need to get outside of their tiny box and look ahead and think about the future, vs settling for the "lesser of two evils/a vote for * is a vote for *" garbage.
It is because there is no other option. Third parties existed since the 1800's and most fail to get electoral votes or a meaningful share of the votes. The Reform Party got 10% of the vote in 1996 but yet hasn't been relevant since so this funding Val Hallah of 5% means dick if it can't be sustained.

As for the bold, while you claim it is garbage, you do agree with me that most people do it anyway. It maybe silly but I as I mentioned before, I don't see a better fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
I agree - the majority of people subliminally see the general election as a super bowl and want to be rooting for the winning team.
I don't find it subliminal, it is just they don't get anywhere. If it wasn't for an RTAmerica, I would only see Gary Johnson in 2012 ads. The Libertarian Party needs better organization for the state levels, let alone the national level. It just can't get out the vote. Perhaps that is because libertarians aren't identifying as members of the Libertarian Party, not enough people hear the ideals or perhaps they do but prove themselves to be socially liberal extremist fiscal conservatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
But voting for the candidates that are handed to you isn't a democracy, you really do have a choice even though the powers that be can subvert it. Why take the lesser of two evils when you could possibly get a candidate who'll work for you.
Because nobody else votes for them. Even though I don't agree with the logic, this is why people talk about the stay at home vote. You stay stay at home and don't vote because you know neither candidate is worth it and either aren't aware of third parties or realize that voting third parties are a waste. If this was anyone else other than Cruz against HRC, I might consider that but the stakes are too high. Arizona gives some 11 votes, perhaps that is the only difference this time around, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because nobody else votes for them. Even though I don't agree with the logic, this is why people talk about the stay at home vote. You stay stay at home and don't vote because you know neither candidate is worth it and either aren't aware of third parties or realize that voting third parties are a waste. If this was anyone else other than Cruz against HRC, I might consider that but the stakes are too high. Arizona gives some 11 votes, perhaps that is the only difference this time around, who knows.
"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy." Charles de Montesquieu

Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Very funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Former Republican Governor Gary Johnson, if he is Libertine candidate, will draw voters from both sides.

Certainly not enough to win the presidency outright. However, he could easily draw enough to prevent both Trump and Clinton from winning outright.

This would place the decision as who becomes president into the hands of the House of Representatives.

The House may well vote for Johnson.

Meanwhile the Senate would pick the VP. A VP the GOP liked.

Everybody wins?

See article at:

Could Gary Johnson Be Our Next President? | Power Line
Johnson has slightly less chance of becoming prez than I do.

PS: I'm not running.

My prediction: he'll get <2%.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy." Charles de Montesquieu
Sadly the US is both especially if we somehow elect Trump as president.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:15 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
If not Gary Johnson and the LP acting as spoilers

then let's not forget about the Greens

Four-way race? Greens woo Bernie Sanders as Libertarians gain #NeverTrump voters - www.gp.org

If the Greens wooed Sanders to run they would instantly gain a huge name recognition, money machine, and millions of younger voters.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Johnson has ZERO chance of winning. Cut it out with these Johnson posts.
Nice censorship attempt there.

Let's make sure that American voters continue not being aware of any candidate not pushed by CNN, MSN, FOX & Co.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 AM

1,100 posts, read 634,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Nice censorship attempt there.

Let's make sure that American voters continue not being aware of any candidate not pushed by CNN, MSN, FOX & Co.
Majority of Americans would rather have MSM "decide & think" for them.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:40 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
Republican Liz Mair— said her initial reaction to conservatives pushing an independent candidate was that "they were f...ing nuts".

Now she has become increasingly convinced that it might be a plausible way to help keep Trump from dragging down Republican candidates for other offices in November. "I do think that option overall is a lot more viable than people are giving it credit for," she says.

Full article at:

#NeverTrump Has a Hail Mary Plan to Block Trump | Mother Jones

Hmmm.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times
Actually, if you think about it, Trump probably appeals to Libertarians more so than Hillary, so an undecided voter may vote for a RINO like Trump. You know it's going to be close and if he can win some of those LP votes, who knows?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 AM

1,100 posts, read 634,140 times
Quote:
Actually, if you think about it, Trump probably appeals to Libertarians more so than Hillary, so an undecided voter may vote for a RINO like Trump. You know it's going to be close and if he can win some of those LP votes, who knows?
I don't know to many libertarians rushing to vote for Trump...much less Sec Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections