Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM

13,618 posts, read 4,937,539 times

Advertisements

I don't see Johnson taking a single state. Even if he does get Nevada or Alaska, that takes away from Trump and Hillary still wins.

Now, what if Romney jumped in as an independent? All bets are off; he could take states away from both Trump and Clinton and force it into the House, which would surely prefer Mitt to Donald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM

1,100 posts, read 634,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't see Johnson taking a single state. Even if he does get Nevada or Alaska, that takes away from Trump and Hillary still wins.

Now, what if Romney jumped in as an independent? All bets are off; he could take states away from both Trump and Clinton and force it into the House, which would surely prefer Mitt to Donald.
This...this is what social norming has done to the majority of Americans. They fail to see if they want to change the system..they must vote against it. Yet they won't...because of aforementioned statements and other similar comments, in which have been become so common place...people believe in it.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:39 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

What states would he realistically take from Clinton? If Romney ran as an independent, he would split the Republican vote, and probably most likely in swing states. His presence would have much impact on the "safe" Democratic states but could turn "trending Republican" states into wins for Hillary in a three way race, particularly since most states give all their electors to the candidate who gets the most votes, so somebody who got 40% while his/her 2 opponents got 35% and 25% of the vote wins.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
And I'll repeat what I said before, Ross Perot got almost 20% of the vote and zero electoral college votes.

Say in this crazy election, Johnson does 20 TIMES better than he did in 2012. He's still looking at zero electoral college votes. And he's not going to get anything close to 20%.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And I'll repeat what I said before, Ross Perot got almost 20% of the vote and zero electoral college votes.

Say in this crazy election, Johnson does 20 TIMES better than he did in 2012. He's still looking at zero electoral college votes. And he's not going to get anything close to 20%.
Sure - because people continue to vote for the establishment...all the while complaining about it.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Sure - because people continue to vote for the establishment...all the while complaining about it.
Strange, isn't it?

I'm doing my part. I'm voting Libertarian. That's what it takes. You have to actually put your money where your mouth is, take the leap of faith and vote for something better.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Strange, isn't it?

I'm doing my part. I'm voting Libertarian. That's what it takes. You have to actually put your money where your mouth is, take the leap of faith and vote for something better.
Agreed - stop voting for the establishment...whether it means voting for the LP or some other third party or independent. If the majority would wake up and shift their votes else where...you'd see full blown panic on Capital Hill.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:09 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Yes and we all know what a fickle thing that electoral college is. If Perot had gotten 30% of the vote, he still might not have gotten a single elector. You gotta actually win the majority vote in the state to get any electoral college votes. We all know that.

That said, the spin that the media put on Perot's defeat was pretty ridiculous. Getting 20% of the popular vote was a massive success! If he hadn't dropped out and re-entered the race, he probably would have been POTUS instead of Bill Clinton. Then the media spoon-fed us the wrong lesson for the 1992 election. Instead of it being the moment America realized we actually have more than two choices, the media and GOP proxies beat Perot voters over the head with "you changed the outcome of the election! You're the reason Clinton won! What were you thinking?"

Voting third party requires a person to wake up from the "lesser of two evils" stupid-sleep. You gotta have enough spine to stick up for yourself in the face of those calling you "traitor" or "spoiler". If we're ever going to get out from under the deathgrip monopoly that the D's and R's have on our political system, it's going to take enough courage to not do as your told and instead vote for what you actually believe in.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:16 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Maybe because the alternative could have totally disastrous consequences. Of course, the gamble *could* pay off. . . . or not. A change might be needed badly, but the outsiders we have probably aren't the right vehicle to achieve the objective. Not anybody will do, right? You know the expression, "the devil you know . . . ."

Mick

Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Voting third party requires a person to wake up from the "lesser of two evils" stupid-sleep. You gotta have enough spine to stick up for yourself in the face of those calling you "traitor" or "spoiler". If we're ever going to get out from under the deathgrip monopoly that the D's and R's have on our political system, it's going to take enough courage to not do as your told and instead vote for what you actually believe in.

Quoted because it can't be said enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections