Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 05:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Yeah, anyone that exposes a corrupt government is a traitor according to mainstream Clintoid thought. Kind of like George Orwell's 1984. Let's get with the Program. Corrupt is good. Corrupt is good.
It's a needed evil that can be tweeked (the FICHA courts for instance.) I mean in a reality there are prices to security. I work security at football games and you are subjected to magnetometers, hand wanding or patdowns to enter. Further more, you can't wear offensive or indecent clothing, bring in banned items including non-clear bags, selfie sticks, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, vape and purpose made video cameras. Even if you already have a ticket, you have to throw out the item or bring it back to your car, or you can't be let in. Where this ties in to the Patriot Act, is there is a price to freedom. I may not like taking off my shoes at the airport or getting my bags checked at theme parks but I realize that is a condition of using it. A condition of living in the US is allowing the US government to know I post on City-Data's forums and play X-Box Live. I don't have anything to hide, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 05:53 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It's very weird how first Trump and now Stein are huge fans of Putin. I never would've seen that coming in this election. Quite weird. Of all the international leaders to idolize, why him? Why the coincidence? Weird...
We have absolutely nothing to gain by getting into a pissing match with Putin. We can't control Afghanistan. You would think people would learn but obviously not.

Would I.want to live under Putin? Well, we are headed in that direction but no, I complain about those actions but it's up to the people of Russia to put up with Russia or not.

I imagine part of the reason they do though is because they do not trust us.

If we were better world players there are fewer reasons for the Putin's.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Why are U.S. Green Party supporters so overwhelmingly white?
Why do you judge people by the color of their skin?

Old 08-06-2016, 05:57 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
Quote:
Hm... I know a guy who went deaf and had a leg amputated due to meningitis when he was a kid, a type that can be prevented with a vaccine, which wasn't available in the country where he was raised... even if there's a small chance of contracting such an infection without a vaxx, the odds of a vaxx going horribly wrong are far, far tinier. Who does the scare mongering? Not "Big Pharma" or "Big Nurses" or "Big Boogeymen"....

There are 30,000 people who die in the U.S. every year from the flu and 100,000 - 400,000 who die every year from errors made on the hospital (making hospitals the third largest killers in the U.S.). On top of this, tens of thousands die from drugs like opioids.

As for Zika, large populations have already developed immunity (e.g. India) and it has always been considered rather benign. What is happening now is unclear but Brazil is a terrible country to live in, loaded with diseases and chemicals and pollution, and the problems they are experiencing is probably very complicated.

Zika, will eventually go disparate ike the SARS panic, but I'm sure the hypochondriacs will alway dig up something new to be scared of. It's their nature to look for a disease to be scared of.

The Daily News | Natural immunity outpacing development of Zika vaccine

Old 08-06-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's a needed evil that can be tweeked (the FICHA courts for instance.) I mean in a reality there are prices to security. I work security at football games and you are subjected to magnetometers, hand wanding or patdowns to enter. Further more, you can't wear offensive or indecent clothing, bring in banned items including non-clear bags, selfie sticks, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, vape and purpose made video cameras. Even if you already have a ticket, you have to throw out the item or bring it back to your car, or you can't be let in. Where this ties in to the Patriot Act, is there is a price to freedom. I may not like taking off my shoes at the airport or getting my bags checked at theme parks but I realize that is a condition of using it. A condition of living in the US is allowing the US government to know I post on City-Data's forums and play X-Box Live. I don't have anything to hide, do you?
My daughter is in the High School band. I took her last week to the state capital to see the Drum Corp International contest. I have no idea how many people were there, I just know the lines were long.

We walked right in. Handed the guy at the gate our ticket and walked right in. I'm wearing a back pack with my camera gear in it. Not a single Pat down, question or search.

We somehow made it home alive.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have absolutely nothing to gain by getting into a pissing match with Putin. We can't control Afghanistan. You would think people would learn but obviously not.

Would I.want to live under Putin? Well, we are headed in that direction but no, I complain about those actions but it's up to the people of Russia to put up with Russia or not.

I imagine part of the reason they do though is because they do not trust us.

If we were better world players there are fewer reasons for the Putin's.
Um, the Russians existed even when we were isolationists after World War 1 and became world powers after World War 2, starting satellite nations in Eastern Europe including Poland, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany and Hungry while America rebuilt more nations in Western Europe to prevent more Soviet states. The only two Presidents to really prevent Soviet aggression were Kennedy and Reagan and Reagan even talked openly with Mikeal Gorbachev. I fail to see your point.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
My daughter is in the High School band. I took her last week to the state capital to see the Drum Corp International contest. I have no idea how many people were there, I just know the lines were long.

We walked right in. Handed the guy at the gate our ticket and walked right in. I'm wearing a back pack with my camera gear in it. Not a single Pat down, question or search.

We somehow made it home alive.
Yeah and somehow I don't think a DCI festival is on the fast track to a terrorist attack. Then again Paris didn't expect a soccer match to be in November 2015...

Old 08-06-2016, 06:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I wonder where the antivaxxers stand on Zika, now that it's in Florida?
Here's a thread about it: http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...e-reached.html They're ignorant.

BTW, as far as doctors having all this superior knowledge about vaccines, in addition to the Ben and Jill duo, there's Rand Paul.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-about-vaccin/ Feb 2015, then:
https://www.thenation.com/article/ra...ite-supremacy/ March 2015
http://www.infowars.com/rand-paul-we...ormed-consent/ Sept. 15
He was gone shortly after that, so we haven't heard much since.

Ben + Jill + Rand: What a kinky, kooky threesome.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Um, the Russians existed even when we were isolationists after World War 1 and became world powers after World War 2, starting satellite nations in Eastern Europe including Poland, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany and Hungry while America rebuilt more nations in Western Europe to prevent more Soviet states. The only two Presidents to really prevent Soviet aggression were Kennedy and Reagan and Reagan even talked openly with Mikeal Gorbachev. I fail to see your point.
I don't think you did.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah and somehow I don't think a DCI festival is on the fast track to a terrorist attack. Then again Paris didn't expect a soccer match to be in November 2015...
You thought a third rate rock concert was high on people's list? A gay nightclub?

You can not stop those intent on doing harm by curtailing the rights of the law abiding. Most of it is just for show at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections