Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We proved in 16 that qualifications, experience, character and competence are not requirements to be president. If Beto makes it close in Texas that will be good enough. Probably doesn't even need that. He's got that "it" and younger voters, who will make the difference in 2020 if they just vote, are enthused about him. He's a winner, like him or not.
You can not compare Beto to Trump in any way. They are as different as night and day: one has personality if nothing else, like him or not. One was a total outsider, but hav run a huge business; one has not: one was a multi millionaire; the other is not. And one happened to hit when the coals were hot and people were ready for true change. One is just a typical politician.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
WHAT??? Cruz is the one who supports federal tax dollars for parents to choose to send their kids to private charter or religious schools! Why should my tax dollars be used so someone can forego public schools to send their child to the private Christian school of their choice? Beto supports public education, not hand outs for private institutions.
OK, if what you say is true and you don't want to pay for someone to choose where their kids go to school, explain to me, why people who choose to have no kids should pay taxes for those who do have kids?

Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Another election.
Another 2 total garbage candidates.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
WHAT??? Cruz is the one who supports federal tax dollars for parents to choose to send their kids to private charter or religious schools! Why should my tax dollars be used so someone can forego public schools to send their child to the private Christian school of their choice? Beto supports public education, not hand outs for private institutions.
My thoughts on that are that there is a certain dollar allotment per student through taxpayer dollars. Why shouldn't parents have a choice on where that allocation goes? It doesn't matter to me whether it's a Parochial school or a Public School. They should have the choice to send their child to a school where they feel their children will have the best chance on getting a good education. I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand. The public schools were terrible growing up in my neck of the woods (ranking of 47th in the country). Any parent would have sent their kids to a Parochial school, given the opportunity. The end result of that would be either the Public schools stepped up their education level or get left behind (something Teacher's Union simply won't admit). I want good teachers to be paid well and I want bad teachers to be fired. Unfortunately, these bad teachers tend to be shielded and left in the system bringing down the level of education in Public schools. I've had enough of it and the spin that goes with it from Teachers Unions (and I've heard plenty of excuses over the years). When a system isn't working, you don't throw money at the problem...you solve the problem. I believe the problem are Teachers Unions that have gotten much too powerful and aren't interested in results as much as they are just protecting their members. That's not going to cut it.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:29 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Another election.
Another 2 total garbage candidates.
I think McSally/Sinema and Gillum/DeSantis are worse by far. If I ever was sure in any two given races that there was nearly zero chance the winner would win again in 6 and 4 years those have got to be in the top 5

Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Cast my vote today in Austin; thrilled to see a huge line (even though I had to stand in it!).

Beto is simply wrong for Texas. He may have a bright career ahead of him, but his values do not align with many of those that make Texas the wonderful state that it is.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Texas? Just be careful with your vote. Apparently the machines are switching votes from O'Rourke to Cruz at the top of the ticket when someone votes straight-ticket Dem. And nobody can say--figures--Florida. So--it figures--Texas.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...m-for-a-decade

https://www.fastcompany.com/90259255...out-bad-design

Old 10-31-2018, 11:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Texas? Just be careful with your vote. Apparently the machines are switching votes from O'Rourke to Cruz at the top of the ticket when someone votes straight-ticket Dem. And nobody can say--figures--Florida. So--it figures--Texas.

I can report that I and everyone else at the polls with me did not experience this problem. Additionally, the volunteers were going above and beyond to remind every person in line to double-check their ballot prior to casting it. I’m not convinced that there’s a problem.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can not compare Beto to Trump in any way. They are as different as night and day: one has personality if nothing else, like him or not. One was a total outsider, but hav run a huge business; one has not: one was a multi millionaire; the other is not. And one happened to hit when the coals were hot and people were ready for true change. One is just a typical politician.
I'm not comparing them in that way. What I am saying is that both have a quality that transcends their relative lack of qualifications or experience or even suitability for the position. It's that "it" and it is that "it" that matters in politics today - especially with the younger voters who, should they become engaged, will sweep whomever they want into office.

I had never seen or heard Beto until yesterday when I watched him at the University of Houston on Chris Matthews show yesterday. You are underestimating him. He is charismatic, magnetic and clicks with an audience. He is up to his eyeballs in tech. He even speaks fluent Spanish! Matthews, an aging poll from another generation, was all but drooling over him.

Stop looking at this from a Republican, older voter point of view. This guy is political dynamite in the same way as Obama was. Mark my words. He may be too raw for 2020 and the old goats of the party won't give it up. But waiting until 2028 (presuming Trump gets thrashed in '20 as I think he will and Dem wins twice) would probably doom his chances as the pendulum swings back. IT might be better for him if Trump pulls it out in 2020. He'd be teed up for 2024 and the old guard would be gone. In any case, I think he will make a move.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:26 PM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

It's with eSlate machines.

DH had his vote switched when voting on one of those old machines where a curtain pulled around the voter. We have never voted a straight ticket since. You almost can't in Texas.

People need to pay attention to what they are doing while they vote. Do not spin the wheel too fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections