Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
People still had a brain in 1984. People actually still loved America in 1984. In 1984 the Soviets were actually still considered the bad guys NOT a model for us to follow.
I'm honestly getting sick and tired of this only right wingers love America and the rest of us are traitors tact. It's older than Noah's Arc and simply not true.

This isn't Piochet's Chile. We are legally allowed to disagree with or hate our president. And it doesn't mean we don't love our country. I love this country (well, except for the South); but I don't like our president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:18 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Reagan was on record as being sympathetic to segregationists in the southern states, and calling the Civil Rights Act a violation of states rights.....
So was:
Robert Byrd.
William Fulbright.
Herman Talmadge.
Albert Gore, Sr.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So was:
Robert Byrd.
William Fulbright.
Herman Talmadge.
Albert Gore, Sr.
That one is an outright lie. There is plenty of documented evidence, including senate votes, that both Al Gore Sr and the other Tennessee senator at the time Estes Kefauver, were not on the segregationists side. Try again....

Old 01-18-2019, 03:52 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That one is an outright lie. There is plenty of documented evidence, including senate votes, that both Al Gore Sr and the other Tennessee senator at the time Estes Kefauver, were not on the segregationists side. Try again....
Pretty free with calling somebody a liar.

OnPolitics -- Political Junkie

https://www.washingtontimes.com

I guess voting against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and also filibustering against it is actually being for it before being against it in Camaro1220's world.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 PM

8,343 posts, read 2,970,216 times
"How did he do it?"

Jimmy Carter. Worst president ever until Obongo.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pretty free with calling somebody a liar.

OnPolitics -- Political Junkie

https://www.washingtontimes.com

I guess voting against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and also filibustering against it is actually being for it before being against it in Camaro1220's world.
Al Gore Sr did vote against the CRA, but that's not the whole story. First, it was unpopular in Tennessee and he was up for reelection in 64. Second he went on record after he was out of the Senate saying he regretted voting against it.

But more importantly, Al Gore Sr was one of only three southern Senators to not sign the Southern Manifesto in support of continued segregation in 1956, the other two being Estes Kefauver and Lyndon B Johnson.

Your cherry picked vote doesn't tell the whole story and doesn't stand up to further examination of his record.

And back to Robert Byrd, he spent decades publicly apologizing for his past. But I forgot, nobody can change, right? Once bad, always bad?

Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
"How did he do it?"

Jimmy Carter. Worst president ever until Obongo.
Obongo huh? And if you think Carter and Obama are the worst presidents ever, I'm guessing you failed history class in school. Do the names Buchanan, Harding and Hoover ring a bell?

Welcome to my ignore list

Old 01-18-2019, 04:58 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
He won 49 states because:
1) he was very popular
2) Walter Mondale was his opponent

Even though I find his policies a mixed bag, Reagan had charisma, positivity, and the ability to take responsibility. People were willing to take the fall for him on the Iran contra deal, but Reagan stepped up and took the blame in a televised speech. I can't even begin to imagine a president doing that now.
1) and 2) says it all ....it helped that Mondale was a pretty weak opponent.

Reagan was very likeable...a good actor

Old 01-19-2019, 06:19 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
He was the governor of California!
What does it say about modern times, or perhaps about myself, that I can only read "governor of California" in Arnold's accent? And he hasn't been governor for 8 years!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who remembers when Ronald Reagan won 49 states (all except Minnesota, Mondale’s Home State) in 1984 against Walter Mondale? Many of those states are now solidly Democratic, and have been for a long time. How did he do it?
They were then as well, but he was obviously very popular, he was attempting to end the cold war, the economy was doing well and Mondale was not at all popular and had no personality. And btw, if you remember the elections back then, you will remember most of the south was solid Democrat. So what was and what is are 2 totally different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections